My 24gal "Pod"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BTW, the tank seems to have fully cleared so I'll post some pics tomorrow after the lights come on with the sand and nano stream in. I'll let the sand stay for now (in this tank) and see how it goes with adding in those other species of marine life I wanted to:)

LOL!! I will Jeff...I let this tank be with having sand and see how it goes. I guess it will be a great test as well to see if I can keep it nitrate free as I have been able to do with bb. However, if I go through with the other tank...No sand:D

I have to disagree. If you're ever gonna pull it out, the sooner the better. That sand is not doing anything in there just yet, once it gets established then it will be harder on the system if you pull it out.

BTW, we love you sand or no sand Krish so do what you feel is better for you. ;)

LOL Jorge!:p Well, I'm a bb freak for life no question about that! But said I'd add sand in just this tank to be able to put some other critters in there that require sand seeing I am limited on what I can keep for the simple fact of the tank's size. I guess I really don't like the look as much because I haven't seen the tank fully cleared up since adding in the sand with the lights on, but when I came home toinght from the wedding, I could see that it had totally cleared up even with the tank's light off so I'll see how it looks tomorrow. I'll try the sand in this one though I guess...I'm so mixed up tonight it isn't even funny!:eek: LONG day and my wife fainted standing in a wedding so I'm mentally exhausted from that eventhough she is fine and didn't get hurt or anything. I even replied the wrong info to a member in a pm because I got them mixed up with someone else I've been trying to help and had to send them another pm to explain what happened! :shock: I think I better go to bed before I end up saying something really stupid here tonight!:oops: :D

What the heck!!! :eek: I was totally delirious last night and obviously not thinking clearly! :oops: Anyways, here's a shot of the tank with the nano stream in it with the sand in, but with the lights off taken first thing this morning after patting out the sand and letting the tank settle again a bit. And after this picture, I removed the sand out. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm running a sand bed. I had one huge pile of sand from my Tunze and also, my rocks and zoanthids had sand all over them as well and I'm not particular about re-locating the powerhead because I get the best flow for the tank where it is so whoever likes sand in their tank can enjoy it, but it's not for me:p I'll make do with whatever species of fish etc I can keep being bare bottom. Sand is way to messy for me:)

We are all allowed a brain fart once in a while Krish, all that matters is that you came back to your senses :D .

Honestly it didn't look bad at all with the sand, but I have to agree with you that this is not for me, whoever wants to deal with the sand please do so, not me, not again.

Yeah...It's good. The tank is almost clear and the sand isn't disturbed too much:) We'll se how it goes...The sand is scaring me right now:shock:

Definately!!! I love that Bahamian tank Steve! Is it yours?:p

no, I wish it was. nice and clean looking very natural.

LOL! Thanks guys...The tank hasn't fully settled since pulling out the sand, but I'm sure it will be by tomorrow so I can add some pics. I don't know how some people deal with sand:p The only white going down in the future will be starboard:D

I threw up another thread with the nano stream pics here http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20602

And here's a full tank shot I transferred over. You can check out all of the others on the other thread for now:)

Been a while so I figured I'd add a small update.:)

The tank is still kicking, corals are still living and fish are all still swimming, but flow and water volume are seriously lacking. :doubt: I thought the Tunze would do the trick, but it took a few days to realize that I need more as some spots on my rocks show signs of settling detritus so that will have to be addressed. Also, like I mentioned, water volume is a little bit on the low side and the tank is too easily influenced for my liking so I have a few things in mind to solve that problem as well. I thought about setting up another tank (for me) even got some prices already, and make this one real simple for Emily, but may not get into that right now. What that means is you may see me attempt some stuff with this tank which includes drilling, some sort of sump, possibly changing the background color and design a bit and so on...Make it totally different from any other aquapod;)

So, when I decide to get started, I'll get either a spare tank or a big rubbermaid container to setup all my equipment in and put my rocks and fish etc in so I can empty the aquapod and get to work. I may possibly give the corals to my friend during this time and start up with new ones later when I'm finished "toying" around, but in the meantime, I have a few more things to decide on and stuff to order so i'll leave it up for now and also, it will give me time to spend with Emily as she gets over her cold and my family over the Christmas holidays. I'll keep you guys posted on things. Should be fun and interesting Hopefully not disasterous:shock:

Last edited:
The tank is still kicking, corals are still living and fish are all still swimming, but flow and water volume are seriously lacking. I thought the Tunze would do the trick, but it took a few days to realize that I need more as some spots on my rocks show signs of settling detritus so that will have to be addressed. Also, like I mentioned, water volume is a little bit on the low side and the tank is too easily influenced for my liking so I have a few things in mind to solve that problem as well. I thought about setting up another tank (for me) even got some prices already, and make this one real simple for Emily, but may not get into that right now. What that means is you may see me attempt some stuff with this tank which includes drilling, some sort of sump, possibly changing the background color and design a bit and so on...Make it totally different from any other aquapod
i would just add another powerhead!! LOL

It's possible Martin, but we'll see...I don't know if there's much hope for this tank. I want to drill it to do what I want to do, but I'll mess up the tank if I ever wanted to get rid of it so I think my best option is just to do another tank like I wanted, but right now, don't even want to think about it. I'll let it be till the new year I guess...

sorry that your not happy with the tank you have now. Put that bad boy in the kids room and then tell the wife you need a tank in the main room and there ya go. We have been kicking around the idea of getting a bigger tank but dont know yet.

LOL! I've been contemplating the bigger tank for a while now, just haven't said much here about till recently. The main issue is deciding on selling our town house and building/buying a new house and I don't want to put a lot of effort into a new tank and then have to turn around and do it all again very soon (eventhough I'm sure I'd enjoy it:p ) In any event, I took out all of the corals yesterday except for the zoanthids and added a bit more rock to the tank and will let it be I guess until the year is out. I'll decide then as I have way too much going on right now with work and family life so we'll see:)

I upped the flow in my aquapod tonight and until PA gets some more nano streams in stock.

I am now running ...

(1) Nano stream 6025 for circulation (660gph)
(1) Maxijet 900 return (230 gph)
(2) Maxijet 1200's for circulation (295 gph (x2) )
Total = 1480 gph in a 24 gal aquapod which is about 61x turnover rate. I plan on removing the 2 intank maxi jets and replacing them both with nano streams to run a total of 3:)

I will update a photo tomorrow if the tank clears up from all the crap I kicked up tonight so you guys can see the newly added rock. I am going to seed it with some coraline this weekend, remove a few of the fish and allow the new rock to color up and slowly populate with life as I decide on a few things in the new year. I may possibly upgrade the lighting etc so I can get those gorgonians again in the new year so we'll see what I decide on there:)

Back