My 300 Gallon sps tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am sorry, thought they were laughable, but I guess you can judge for yourself, here's the 3 I kept.

IMG_9152_1459.jpg

IMG_9146_1453.jpg

IMG_9144_1450.jpg

Ya know, I was doin water tests this morning, and as I was doing them it kinda struck me that these tests may not be relative at all, for the lack of a better word. Sure they are important, but if you are using Salifert test kits, how far is the pink tip pushed up on the syringe that you measure with? And....................... is that really important? I have never contacted Salifert to find out how far that pink tip should be pushed up on the syringe, I have always assumed that you push it on there until you can't push no more. This may be different that someone elses theory. And does that make a difference??????

I guess what it runs down to is, if there is stuff that ain't lookin good in your tank, you have a freakin problem, and it would behoove you to find out what that problem is before stuff really goes south.

Random thoughts on a Sunday mornin before the Pocono Race.........................................lol.

Oh....................... by the way, everything in the tank tested good, maybe that is why my thoughts are kinda random, couldn't be the three beers that I had last nite that are making me feel like I had a 12 pack could it?

Got company coming over for a BBQ tonite, Michael and Angie and Madison from Spokane are comin over to share some burgers and BS, lookin forward to some fun and maybe a fire to keep the mosquitos away later. Little Bas***** are voracious. Anyways, hope you all have just a fine Sunday. HAPPY REEFIN YOU ALL.

The pink tip is irrelevant. Reason being, the area inside the pink tip is what causes the air bubble in the syringe. So even if the tip was partially on, you are still adding the same amount of fluid.

As far as test kits go, I feel that consistency is far more important than accuracy. If that makes any sense.

Good question.

I have found that my tank is relatively stable if I don't add anything new. But my clam and the new corals are absolute alk/calc hogs and I am still upping my 2part dose to keep up. Otherwise, if I stay religious on my water changes, things stay in check.

I feel in another year my tank will be nicely matured and rock solid just like a larger tank would be and testing biweekly should suffice. Again, this is only an educated guess but my tank is pretty darn predictable.

Kelan, you tank is gonna mature thruout it's lifetime. It will be more mature, for sure, but never mature, know what I mean. And not to play the devils advocate or anything, but just when you think it is predictable, and get comfy, something an and will throw you for a loop. How you deal with that loop is the important thing. I just threw that in cuz it is what I do.................... lol.

I had been testing every week, and I think that I am gonna go to every two weeks myself. You have to expect the Ca. and Alk to vary Kelan, that is what sps do to you just to make it interesting. I can remember talking to Kevin, (in Spokane), one time, and he couldn't keep his Ca above 380, and I forget what his alk was, but it is was low too. He just said welcome to SPS.

Have you ever seen pics of his tank that was at home? I will throw one in here just cuz.

Attachments

• IMG_6181.JPG.jpg
    IMG_6181.JPG.jpg
    63.6 KB
LOL.................................. I love it. That tank was my inspiration. I first saw that in the winter of 2002, and it was pretty awesome then. That pic was from 2007. I built my first effort on the 300 in 2004, out of that system.

The family headed over to Montana, last week, and we visited Charlie while there! Charlie, thanks for the great BBQ! T'was great to see you.

Of course, I took my camera and took some pictures. I finally got around to editing and uploading them, last night. Charlie, that "Tang Therapy" shot didn't turn out...GRRR.

Saturday evening's Actinics

7756484290_e31fef7580_b.jpg

7756487782_1d1167de7e_b.jpg

7756490284_cb1fdec6c1_b.jpg

7756504246_00d66e732f_b.jpg

7756499494_234bfc8e90_b.jpg

7756496538_7806efe5be_b.jpg

7756501534_124643c03b_b.jpg

Back