My 90g reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ordered some frags from one of the forum sponcers, Coralprops. Talked to Henk and corals will be here Sat @ 10am.

I wanted to start diversifing so getting a little of this that and the other.
Blue Acro
Green Acro
Purple haze Montipora
Sunset Montipora
Pokerstar Montipora
Montipora undata
Montipora spongodes
Green Pocillopora damicornis
Blue Rim Confusa
Favia frag
Key Lime Pie Platygyra
Purple Tubinaria

Saturday morning will be a busy morning dipping, adjusting, adjusting, adjusting, and glueing!! Good thing my sweety works Saturday, think she is getting jealus of the tanks.

Well little update, sorry no pics. Have been trying to get fish pics but I'm just not that good with the camera. Had a little meltdown with my QT tank. Lost my new McCoskers Wrasse but everyone else is doing fine. Heater failed and tank went down to 72deg. Moved everyone to the display a bit earlier than I would have liked, but everything seems to be doing great. They did get a FW/melefix dip. Will just have to do a extra water change for the comming week to make sure the tank can adjust to the larger bio-load.

Picked up a new tank computer, Neptune Aquacontroll III. Didn't have to have it but there are a few things I like that can be done with it that I did not like how the Reefkeeper Lite functioned. Also went from 8 outlets to 12. This will let me loose the powerstrips coming off the RK strips for the LEDs. Also added two Hydor Koralia Evo prop pumps. Fish are loving the new flow patterns and I can tone back the closed loop flow. All n all tank is looking nice, fish are happy, and corals are growing.

Very Nice Zach, really starting to come together quickly now. The one you stated as Bird of Paradise is actually a Pink Birdsnest Seriatopora hystrix and unknown from RED C could be Stylophora pistillata, Seriatopora caliendrum or Pacillopora damicornis hard to tell until a bit larger. One easy way to tell Seriatopora species is the the polyps are nice neat rows versus the other two. I do have 'Bird of Paradise' S. caliendrum that I could frag for you, it has flo green base with purple polyps.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks for the input Todd. I'm gonna have to diagrahm the tank and make a sheet naming each coral!! I picked up a couple frags from Herefishyfishy when I was over picking up the controller. Have no clue what they are, just remeber the one I think he said was a chalace and the other is like a montipora but builds a dencer skelatal structure. Will have to get some pics up.

Do know one thing the 90g is not going to cut it for long! Gonna have to step up the work on the built-in plans.

Last edited:
Haha got a few new corals yesterday, well 20 of them. A couple from a fellow forum member, A couple from Red C (great guy to shoot the breeze with), and a bunch from Coral Props.

Just want to give some props to Coral Props, yeah bad pun. If you are thinging about ordering from them, do it!! Tripple baged each coral, then wrapped in news paper, everyone is than packed into a larger bag in a foam box cusioned with more paper and heat packs, than the foam box is put in another bag before going into the shipping box. I have shipped 6"+ discus with less and thought I was going above and beyond. I also talked to Henk several times over the phone and recieved good advise and answered every question ( no matter how stupid :).

Also spend about two hours at Red C talking to Rob. We might not be completly on the same page with how we would run a tank, but I can not deny he is a very pool on info, and fun to talk too. Thanks for the time and some cool frags.

Sorry to see that Rainydave is tearing his tank down, but thanks for the fun frags and Rica's. I don't think he will be out for long ;)

Ok on to what everyone really wants some pics. My glue job on a couple are not what I wanted, but hey they stayed!! Also as always my photo ability is amaturish at best. Not getting true color evrything is a bit whittish and muted?!?!

coralprops2001_zpse508fc62.jpg

coralprops016_zpsde89dc1c.jpg

coralprops015_zpse022408d.jpg

coralprops013_zpsfd4b3846.jpg

coralprops012_zps6a75b2e8.jpg

coralprops011_zpscc0dc378.jpg

coralprops010_zps39230e2f.jpg

coralprops009_zpscd182541.jpg

coralprops006_zpsbf496093.jpg

coralprops005_zps7f075654.jpg

coralprops003_zpsf275d88c.jpg

coralprops002_zps87ae2f9f.jpg

coralprops001_zps63e8f5f0.jpg

Tank is getting full and think I am going to have to move some to match aggressing and compatability, but wanted to get everyone in the tank and give them a few days to de-stress.

Comments are very welcome. Thanks Zach

Hello David, tank is filling in. Stopped by Todds tonight and bought a few new corals. He had some great branching verities I wanted to add to my tank and it is always fun to talk with him and pick his brain. The Rica rocks looked great, need to borrow his tanks to combate a little hair alge problem in my tank.

So the last couple days have been slightly trying due to me being a idiot. Switched from the Reefkeeper to a Neptune AC3 (thanks Herefishyfishy). Everything is up and running and very very pleased with the system now that I "get" what it is asking for!! Will get some new picks soon. Picked up a couple very interesting frags while I was down in Portland over the weekend. Also may have some big news in the next week or so. Lets just say "bigger is better"?

Well another update. Tank will be getting a upgrade soon. Going to go pick up my new to me 175g Oceanic Reefready Bowfront. Will be a month or so before I move the 90g into the new tank. I want to replumb the tank with Hebie overflows, replumb for a single sump, refinish the stand, and machine a heatsink for a DIY LED set-up from Rapid LED. I really like the 90g but I want a large tank for a pr of swallow tail angles and to house my bristletooth tangs. The rock work will stay pretty much the same I do have a few more pieces of lace rock to add. Stay tuned will keep up with the 90g here untill the move to the 175g. Should be interesting!!

WOW thats going to be a sweet tank! So cool. Upgrading so soon. The addiction has officially taken hold! ;)

Well if I had time I would go back to MO and get the 400 I had built years ago, lol. Need a bigger house for it though. The 175g fits my office (well kinda) and well its a bow front. Should make for a very nice display. Has a dual sump set-up right now. Would like to go to a single large sump or I may drill these and connect them together. Will have to see when I pick it up tomorrow.

The beast has landed!! Needs a little TLC on the stand but that is eash enough to remedy. Very happy the sumps are drilled and will allow me to run one as a skimmer/filter sump and the second as a refugum. The return will be a connected to the two with a nice 1"+1" into 2" T fitting connected to my Reeflo Dart. This will keep the return pump external and hopefully help with heat soak. The 30" tall tank height will make lighting a little more of a challange. Will have to work with Todd on deciding what reflectors to use on the LEDs. Camera is dead tonight along with me, will have it charged tomorrow, and than some pics!!

So a really bad picture of something really awsome!! Lol to much crap in My garage to stand back and get a proper picture. Tank is 6ft long 5ft tall with stand (cheesy canopy is gonna dissapear Friday). 2ft deep in the center. Twin 30g sumps with ahhhhhhh bio-ball towers!! Oh wait they just lift out, will have to mod for filter socks. Stand is nice just needs a good paint job, has two huge black glass doors. Getting excited, may get the 90 listed this weekend. If I find a potintial buyer, that will help me push to get things moving ;)

010_zpsc0fe1918.jpg

Last edited:
Back