My new 120 upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thanks Gaby! I really like it as well... the pictures make it look like a wall of rock though which it isn't...well guess it is but it isn't! :)

Krish - yeah my old reflectors were just bent aluminum.... terrible stuff. :)

I think most tanks look that way but once you get a close up on the rocks, it's totally different and i like how you put the acrylic legs... that's a great idea !!! :) .

yeah, the acrylic legs work really well to keep the rock up and off the starboard. it really keeps the detrius from settling under or near the rocks. great idea i picked up from some thread i saw a long time ago. i have extra acrylic rod if anyone needs it! :) i have a lot of extra stuff that i need to post.

Slickdonkey said:
So how did you attach the rods to the rock, or did you just drill up through them?

I drilled 1/2" holes about an inch into the rock and then hammered the acrylic rod into the hole. I shattered a few rocks as I tried to drill too fast and with too much pressure.

Looking good Matt, how did you mount the rocks on the acrylic legs, are they just sitting on top of them?

Slickdonkey said:
Did you use a masonry bit? I have a hole saw but that's not going to work, I can tell you that right now.

I used a spade bit which seemed to work well. I also bought a masony bit but didn't try it as the spade worked fine. I did have trouble on some of the harder rocks though.

Scooterman said:
Not the rods but the legs or the legs are also made of rods?

the legs are just acrylic rods cut to about 3" sections and inserted into the rock. I drilled holes into the rock and just hammered the acrylic rods into the rock to create legs. Some rocks did not need legs as they did not have a flat bottom so I just left them alone.

mattseattle said:
so the bad news of the day is my brand new Sequence Dart pump with only 4 or so days of use on it is squealing loudly. It sounds like the bearings are going out of it. Ugh!

Didn't see if you resolved this or not, but my Sequence Hammerhead makes quite a bit more noise when the output is restricted as opposed to full open.

Yeah, I thought maybe it was the same thing so I opened the ball valve all the way and it still made the same noise. I did remove the pump last night and took the volute off and the fan casing to see where the noise was coming from. It's coming from inside the casing and the noise was still happening even with no pressure. But guess what? this morning the noise was gone...so I don't know. I'm going to let it run for a few days and see if it comes back or stays gone....it could be a bearing going out but then you'd think it would keep making the noise.

Matt

Another piece of good news is the skimmer. The Deltec APF600 started skimming 20 minutes after putting the live rock in and turning the pump on. I was amazed the break in time was not any longer.

That's cool on the skimmer Matt. Some take a lot longer than that to break in.

yeah that's what's happening to my Prizm.... After a year it still hasn't broke in :lol: :lol: .... i'm patient :lol:

Back