My New Metal Halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I took this photo last night before going to bed with the (2) 3inch fans mounted. This is just to give you an idea of what I meant. They sit even with the lights and aren't mounted to the back of the canopy but the center brace:)

Krish, let it sit for a day to see what happens to your temps. I new it was the Mag!!!!!! Let it sit, then make a decision, remember the moron cycle!!!

I'm not "Moroning it" Charlie:p I had to do my water change so I just did what I had to do then. I didn't touch the rocks or the Tunzes:D I'll let is sit as is...Do you think I should leave the canopy fans on 24/7 like I have done before, or leave them off to only come on with the lights?

Well, I'm running down to put the canopy back on and start up the fans. I will just let the canopy fans run like ther were and see what happens. I'll take some photos of how everything is now:)

Like I said, I think you have found the heat problem. Patience my man, patience. I would leave the fans as they are, and see what happens today, then go from there. Keep us updated, I know you will!:lol:

Like I said, I think you have found the heat problem. Patience my man, patience. I would leave the fans as they are, and see what happens today, then go from there. Keep us updated, I know you will!

Update this...I'm going to eat!:D I'll post the pics after:)

charlie said:
Like I said, I think you have found the heat problem. Patience my man, patience. I would leave the fans as they are, and see what happens today, then go from there. Keep us updated, I know you will!:lol:

I agree again 100%. You've done alot. Let this set and see what happens.
One thing, you were wondering about running the canopy fans 24/7, I wouldn't do that unless it is a last resort. Most fans weren't made to run 24/7. My canopy fans are on the same timer as a set of actinic lights. They come on about an hour before the mh and stay on a hour after the mh's go out.

I agree again 100%. You've done alot. Let this set and see what happens.
One thing, you were wondering about running the canopy fans 24/7, I wouldn't do that unless it is a last resort. Most fans weren't made to run 24/7. My canopy fans are on the same timer as a set of actinic lights. They come on about an hour before the mh and stay on a hour after the mh's go out.

Well, I started up the lights and the fans are running in the canopy (ie the same ones not the 2 extras I put in there). Also, the sump fan is on. So everything is running as usual. So we'll see what happens in a few hours. If the temp doesn't go up too much then I've got a winner. If it goes up too much , I'll cut on those extra 3 inch fans and see if they help. I guess the temperature at the end of the day will determine how long I will have to leave those canopy fans on for after lights out to get the temp back to where it should be so we'll see.

Here's the ugly picture of under my stand now:p

and the tank without the closed loop

krish75 said:
Here's the ugly picture of under my stand now:p

Looks like thousands of other in stand pictures.:)
I really don't think I would say ugly. I would say fairly normal.
Hey, how about a big piece of black speaker cloth stapled to the back?

Ok I just read through all this thread and I am caught up now. Glad to see your still in the hobby. Takes alot of heart to keep going the way you do.

LOL...You guys are funny. Wait till I start a new thread in that equipment for sale or free forum:p

Well, after all I did, the temp started to creep up again and when it got to 82F I turned on those 2 little 3 inch fans and let them run. I went out for a few hours and came home and the temperature was 81.3F. So atleast it is not going as high, but still going up. I think whaen the lights started up the temperature was 78.8F. I disconnected the canopy again and have 4 vents I just painted black and the hole saw ready to cut that canopy, but got cold feet. If I put my hands on the outside of the canopy when the lights are on, the front lid feels real warm. That means a lot of hot air must be in there to make its way through 3/4 wood and formica. I'm still contemplating venting both sides and the lid, but don't really feel like cutting my canopy...I have to decide.

Krish My friend, Best bet for ya is place all the fans on one side venting out of the canopy, Put vent holes in Opposite sides, Get a flow going rather then tossing hot air around. This would be best for your situation.

Krish My friend, Best bet for ya is place all the fans on one side venting out of the canopy, Put vent holes in Opposite sides, Get a flow going rather then tossing hot air around. This would be best for your situation.

Thanks Bob. I just cut 1 hole on both sides of my canopy:doubt: I didn't do anything to the top yet. The vents I have now I hate! So I didn't even mount them and just have 2 open holes...The deeper I get into this, the less interested I am in my tank. I use to smile when I looked at my tank, now I feel depressed when I look at it. The sad thing it is only April. Summer isn't even here yet and don't forget, I live in the Bahamas where it gets really hot. If 81F is the best I will get now, then I'm in big trouble come summer time...I been toying with this thing for 4 days now, and have made some progress, but not enough. I've made tons of changes as well, from getting rid of my closed loop, removing the back off of my stand, adding a 6 inch fan over my sump, adding two 5 inch fans in my canopy as well as two 3 inch fans and cut two holes in my canopy. What next??? Not sure at this point. I guess I have a few more days ahead of me again trying. I may leave the canopy off for a while and run my pc's to give my fish a break. I know they must be tired of seeing me. We'll see what happens.

krish75 said:
Thanks Bob. I just cut 1 hole on both sides of my canopy:doubt: I didn't do anything to the top yet. The vents I have now I hate! So I didn't even mount them and just have 2 open holes...The deeper I get into this, the less interested I am in my tank. I use to smile when I looked at my tank, now I feel depressed when I look at it. The sad thing it is only April. Summer isn't even here yet and don't forget, I live in the Bahamas where it gets really hot. If 81F is the best I will get now, then I'm in big trouble come summer time...I been toying with this thing for 4 days now, and have made some progress, but not enough. I've made tons of changes as well, from getting rid of my closed loop, removing the back off of my stand, adding a 6 inch fan over my sump, adding two 5 inch fans in my canopy as well as two 3 inch fans and cut two holes in my canopy. What next??? Not sure at this point. I guess I have a few more days ahead of me again trying. I may leave the canopy off for a while and run my pc's to give my fish a break. I know they must be tired of seeing me. We'll see what happens.
Well Bro if your needing any type of help , PM me, 81f is not that bad, Go get some small speaker screens from Radio Shack, The kind they use for cars. And place them over the holes you cut. Have all the fan on oneside, it should crate a flow that will drop temp good enough. If that dont work then your only option is either create a cooling tower in your sump or a chiller. A micro chiller would work as well. 10 degree swing in a 75 gallon. But before I tried that I would do all I could, Exchangin your CL pump for a Eheim would help
and with the flow of air going oneway, should drop it as well. Patience is ever the issue, Dont get discouraged. Your doing all you can right now.

Well Bro if your needing any type of help , PM me, 81f is not that bad, Go get some small speaker screens from Radio Shack, The kind they use for cars. And place them over the holes you cut. Have all the fan on oneside, it should crate a flow that will drop temp good enough. If that dont work then your only option is either create a cooling tower in your sump or a chiller. A micro chiller would work as well. 10 degree swing in a 75 gallon. But before I tried that I would do all I could, Exchangin your CL pump for a Eheim would help
and with the flow of air going oneway, should drop it as well. Patience is ever the issue, Dont get discouraged. Your doing all you can right now.

Thanks again Bob...I've been very patient with this tank. 10 months now I've been taking it slow and trying to make sure everything is right. 81F isn't bad if it can stay constant there. I'll just have to play with it some more. Right now, I'm just going to give it a rest for a bit. I'll run my pc's again until I feel like starting up those halides again. I thought of the grill cloth, but I want to check a few marine shops first because I have a mental image of what vent I want to use and have seen them here, but I just have to figure out where it was I saw them. I'm not far from getting it right, but 4 days of fooling with it every chance I have is getting old and I know my wife is getting pissed! We'll see what happens:) Thanks again everyone for all the advice and help. I appreciate you all:)

Back