My New Metal Halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish I had the 4" fans from Ice Cap with the temp probe, man they work sweet, always on but would rev. up only when needed otherwise they were dead slow. Give it time like Charlie said & I think mounting the fans like reefdaddy said would actually pull that heat outward, give it a shot & see.

yea,yea, yea morish idol I know.......

That was a typo on RF's part Steve...It is supposed to be Moron not Moorish:p

Krish I had the 4" fans from Ice Cap with the temp probe, man they work sweet, always on but would rev. up only when needed otherwise they were dead slow. Give it time like Charlie said & I think mounting the fans like reefdaddy said would actually pull that heat outward, give it a shot & see.

Thanks Scooter. I'll see how it goes. I put the canopy and MH's on the side for a while while I think things through a bit more. I am back to my pc's for a bit to give myself fish some time to relax. Rob just gave me a call and he is going to check out the price on that chiller I spoke about and the price to have it shipped just incase. I may just order it one time and call it a day. I want to play with the fans a bit more though to see how stable and low I can get things, that way, if I still need a chiller, it woudn't have to work that hard. I measured the space today and it will be an extremely tight fit! The specs on the chiller says 12 wide and all I have is 12 wide above the stands molding, which means, I will have to raise the chiller for it to fit and hope that the specs are accurate. If not, I may wedge a car jack between my wall and stand and push the whole tank over a few inches:shock:

krish75 said:
That was a typo on RF's part Steve...It is supposed to be Moron not Moorish:p

Thanks Scooter. I'll see how it goes. I put the canopy and MH's on the side for a while while I think things through a bit more. I am back to my pc's for a bit to give myself fish some time to relax. Rob just gave me a call and he is going to check out the price on that chiller I spoke about and the price to have it shipped just incase. I may just order it one time and call it a day. I want to play with the fans a bit more though to see how stable and low I can get things, that way, if I still need a chiller, it woudn't have to work that hard. I measured the space today and it will be an extremely tight fit! The specs on the chiller says 12 wide and all I have is 12 wide above the stands molding, which means, I will have to raise the chiller for it to fit and hope that the specs are accurate. If not, I may wedge a car jack between my wall and stand and push the whole tank over a few inches:shock:
hey man i know you will work it out,just take a chill, and get your mind stright, and re think things, you will find a way , i know you will...:)

hey man i know you will work it out,just take a chill, and get your mind stright, and re think things, you will find a way , i know you will...

Thanks man...You're right. I will get it:)

I know you will work it out my friend

Thanks Ron:D I won't let you'll down:)

I know you won't. I always look forward to the end of your stories. In the end, there is always something someone can learn from.

I know you won't. I always look forward to the end of your stories. In the end, there is always something someone can learn from.

Everyone except me:p LOL...I hope so. It should help someone later who may have a similar problem. I want to get it worked out without a chiller first, but we'll see:)

So is Moorish Idol kind of like American Idol for you guys over in the bahamas? I didnt know there were alot of Moorish people there, huh

Can you move the tank and stand out from the wall maybe 2"? This may have a huge impact in what you are trying to do.

Reefdaddy1 said:
Krish My friend, Best bet for ya is place all the fans on one side venting out of the canopy, Put vent holes in Opposite sides, Get a flow going rather then tossing hot air around. This would be best for your situation.

Im with Reefdaddy here. Like i said before. The two additional fans on the left and right are blowing to the water. But its getting the same air from within the canopy. You are just pushing the warm air into/touch the water and recirculate the same warm air from within.

Suggestion.

If you can relocate the big white fan from your sump and position it into your hood. If this is possible then I suggest that you position it on the left side of the hood at the back pointing the center part of the front hood.

This will make it suck air from outside of hood, blow it to the front hood and bounce back to the right back side of the hood and out of the hood again.
if you can point the fan to the surface of the water so much the better. At least that you know that the air you are blowing are coming from outside of the hood.

This will then create a layer between the warm air of your hood and your water.

I think the white fan is strong enough and you dont even need to cut a vent hole on the top part of your hood.

Try not to open the 4 small fans.

Try this and see what happens. These changes are so easy that you dont have to reconfigure a lot of stuff. The only question is finding a location for your white fan to clamp in.

Hope this helps.

Hey Krish. I know your getting lots of advice. Its late here so I will make this short.
Ok hot air ballons work because hot air is less dense than cold air. The air in your room is set at 72.5, the air in your canopy is much hotter. So it is less dense than the air in your room. The hot air wants to get out. BAD!
I know you dont want to cut holes in the top of your canopy. I understand that. You have already cut holes in the sides. So lets think about what you have, and what will work best with it.
First off we want to remove the hot air. It wants to rise, so that is free energy. If you have two fans exhausting heated air that would remove a large amount of the heat. The most efficent way in my mind, is to, let the hot air rise, so drilling two more holes in the top with fans to help the air on its way out
Then since you already have two holes in the sides, if both of those fans were mounted flush to the wood and blowing in that would be bring 72.5 degree air into the canopy.
That is what I would do if I were in your situation.

Last edited:
So is Moorish Idol kind of like American Idol for you guys over in the bahamas? I didnt know there were alot of Moorish people there, huh
Nope...No-body here knows what a Moorish Idol is...:)

Can you move the tank and stand out from the wall maybe 2"? This may have a huge impact in what you are trying to do.

Naw...That can't move out any more than it is. The dining room table is right there...

If you can relocate the big white fan from your sump and position it into your hood. If this is possible then I suggest that you position it on the left side of the hood at the back pointing the center part of the front hood.

This will make it suck air from outside of hood, blow it to the front hood and bounce back to the right back side of the hood and out of the hood again.
if you can point the fan to the surface of the water so much the better. At least that you know that the air you are blowing are coming from outside of the hood.

This will then create a layer between the warm air of your hood and your water.

I think the white fan is strong enough and you dont even need to cut a vent hole on the top part of your hood.

Try not to open the 4 small fans.

Try this and see what happens. These changes are so easy that you dont have to reconfigure a lot of stuff. The only question is finding a location for your white fan to clamp in.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Cesar...I tried to mount the white fan in there, but I don't have the space so it is sitting on my sump again. I'm sure it would have helped, but it can't fit...

Hey Krish. I know your getting lots of advice. Its late here so I will make this short.
Ok hot air ballons work because hot air is less dense than cold air. The air in your room is set at 72.5, the air in your canopy is much hotter. So it is less dense than the air in your room. The hot air wants to get out. BAD!
I know you dont want to cut holes in the top of your canopy. I understand that. You have already cut holes in the sides. So lets think about what you have, and what will work best with it.
First off we want to remove the hot air. It wants to rise, so that is free energy. If you have two fans exhausting heated air that would remove a large amount of the heat. The most efficent way in my mind, is to, let the hot air rise, so drilling two more holes in the top with fans to help the air on its way out
Then since you already have two holes in the sides, if both of those fans were mounted flush to the wood and blowing in that would be bring 72.5 degree air into the canopy.
That is what I would do if I were in your situation.

Sounds good Steve. I know it would have to come to drilling the canopy on the top, but I wanted to leave it as a last resort right before getting a chiller. I went to do it last night and was just frustrated with the whole thing from messing with it for so many days that I just packed up everything. Depends how I feel when I get home, I'll cut those holes tonight. We'll see how it goes...:)

I think that steve has just made a wonderful suggestion Krish.

Thanks Tom...Makes logical sense. We'll see what happens:)

I found the vents today so I'm going to put those extra holes in the canopy tonight, relocate the fans and give it a try. If this doesn't work then probably only a chiller will:)

well then.... explain dood explain .

That was the name RF gave me. I didn't choose it:p

Oh, I will post pictures again tonight. Hopefully it won't be in vain. Atleast you guys will have tons of pictures of what not to do if you want to get rid of heat:)

Ya know Krish next move is not a chiller. If I were you I would try a cooling tower concept before buying a chiller. If you want plans for it I can assist there. It easy and all you need is a piece of 4 inch PVC about 15 inches long and a PC fan. and your in like flint. Works well in Arizona and New Mexico , same concept as a swamp cooler. Lots cheaper then chiller. or try one of these

http://www.aloha.net/~hqf/indexdonschiller.htm

Not only cool off your tank a group, But you can keep the beer cold as well. Alot cheaper then a chiller.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob...That looks like the same link Bill gave me. Hopefully I won't need one. Here are the latest pictures. THIS HAS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

The holes I cut. There are 5 of them. One is on the otherside. Three 3inch fans are mounted in the top, pushing air out of the canopy and the two big 5 inch fans are where they were pushing cool air across. I'm using 5 stainless steel vents.

Back