My New Metal Halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You had some fans running all night to get the temp to come down, right?
So one or more of your pumps are creating heat even before the lights come on.
I would shut off all pumps except the return pump and your skimmer pump.
See what happens to the temp.
If it stays down after a complete light cycle,(24hrs) the turn one of the pumps on for 24 and then repeat untill the temp starts to go up. That should tell you whats causeing the heat.

You had some fans running all night to get the temp to come down, right?
So one or more of your pumps are creating heat even before the lights come on.
I would shut off all pumps except the return pump and your skimmer pump.
See what happens to the temp.
If it stays down after a complete light cycle,(24hrs) the turn one of the pumps on for 24 and then repeat untill the temp starts to go up. That should tell you whats causeing the heat.

I just shut off the mag950. I have (2) Tunzes as well...Should I shut them off? Also, should I setup the fans the way I had them and try it again like that or since I have it down, reposition them? I was thinking maybe putting the fans more to the front of the canopy blowing the air straight out the back. How does that sound or leave it like it was?

I don't know if the tunzes have been known to add heat or not. I'm hoping someone will jump in with some info on them. As much as they cost, I would hope not. But you never know.
The thing with the fans in the hood, I don't know how effecient the are. How many cfm's are they. Some pc fans just don't blow very much. That's why I sent that link to those ones fans. They were 80cfm at 25dba.
Really good.
At this point I would leave them where they are. Any air movement is better than none. Try and find out the specs on them.

I don't know if the tunzes have been known to add heat or not. I'm hoping someone will jump in with some info on them. As much as they cost, I would hope not. But you never know.
The thing with the fans in the hood, I don't know how effecient the are. How many cfm's are they. Some pc fans just don't blow very much. That's why I sent that link to those ones fans. They were 80cfm at 25dba.
Really good.
At this point I would leave them where they are. Any air movement is better than none. Try and find out the specs on them.

No problem...If it is a pump, it must be the mag950 because it was the newest one added to the tank. About the fans, yeah...I'm just waiting on that info. They must move really good air though to be able to drop off the temp 6 degrees overnight. Still not saying much, but they did the job. I think I may pull that whole closed loop out anyway! Time to start yanking things that don't make much sense...Who knows!

Hey, that's the same chiller I'm getting ready to sell...with pump! I want to get an upgrade...

Cool...Do you like how it works? I don't really have the space for it at all! Looking for a miracle or something to find some space for it. I'd order one first thing Monday...You know how I go! My wife will get over it...She always does :)

ohh boy Krish :( .
hmm i wish i could help you dood i really wish.
I would first check if the pumps are the ones making the heat and then the Tunzes if the temperature doesn't go down i guess.

ohh boy Krish .
hmm i wish i could help you dood i really wish.
I would first check if the pumps are the ones making the heat and then the Tunzes if the temperature doesn't go down i guess.

Yeah...I'm going downstairs now to pull both Tunzes out of the tank to feel them to see if they are warm. If they are, then they'll go in the garbage and anything else that feels warm:p

I did like it really well. It was quiet, and ran fine. I bought it barely used, and just for the summer last year. I knew it was going to be too small for my system, but all I needed was it to cool a degree or so. I took it off once the cold weather hit. Now, I'm in need of a chiller again, but I want to get my upgrade....so time to sell that baby.

IceCap has some pretty nice fans, but very expensive and IMO noisey.
The push/pull 102cfm at almost 48dba.
I wouldn't be afraid to lose the flow from the mag 9.5. You have tremendous flow with your tunzes.
The clip-on fan in the sump and a couple "good" canopy fans should cool your tank.

I did like it really well. It was quiet, and ran fine. I bought it barely used, and just for the summer last year. I knew it was going to be too small for my system, but all I needed was it to cool a degree or so. I took it off once the cold weather hit. Now, I'm in need of a chiller again, but I want to get my upgrade....so time to sell that baby.

Sounds good...I'll have to move my tank in order to fit one...:doubt: Or sit it on top of my canopy(LOL) That would look real nice don't you think! Should blend right in:rolleyes:

Sounds good...I'll have to move my tank in order to fit one... Or sit it on top of my canopy(LOL) That would look real nice don't you think! Should blend right in

yeah you can put some flowers in front of it :D .

IceCap has some pretty nice fans, but very expensive and IMO noisey.
The push/pull 102cfm at almost 48dba.
I wouldn't be afraid to lose the flow from the mag 9.5. You have tremendous flow with your tunzes.
The clip-on fan in the sump and a couple "good" canopy fans should cool your tank.

Look out for new pictures tomorrow. Something will be different...Trust me. I'm finally ready for corals and I now have a heat issue. Gotta sort it out by any means necessary:)

I don't see how the pumps are the problem if you're running the pumps at nite and the temp is 78-79' ish. Unless I'm misunderstanding something from your posts, pumps should not be the issue.

PD. You don't want the Tunzes me garbage is as good as yours :D

I got a feeling they should be ok. I'm really thinking it's the mag pumps. They have had a rep for adding heat.

I don't see how the pumps are the problem if you're running the pumps at nite and the temp is 78-79' ish. Unless I'm misunderstanding something from your posts, pumps should not be the issue.

PD. You don't want the Tunzes me garbage is as good as yours

ROFL!:p I just pulled them both and they are as cool as anything:) The reason why people are suggesting the pumps was because my temperature use to be stable at 78-80F all the time. I had an accident and broke my thermometer about 3 weeks ago. The only changes that took place at all lately were the mag950 closed loop and a new canopy. I got my new themometer this week and found the temp was 86F. I figured it was the canopy so Thursday, I left the canopy off for the day and just ran my old pc's for the day to see if it would return to the normal temp and it didn't, so I figured it couldn't be the canopy unless the tank was so warm that 8 hours or so was not enough to rid the tank of the heat (it only dropped to 84F) There's no doubt in my mind that the lights are the main issue because without them, I can get the tank to 78, but with them off now and the canopy off and the ac pumped down to 70F, the temp has only gone to 83.5F. So, I'm tossing around some ideas on fan placememnts now as I wait to see what happens with that mag950 turned off.

I got a feeling they should be ok. I'm really thinking it's the mag pumps. They have had a rep for adding heat.

I've had issues with a mag7 before as well. Never had one with a mag5, but i may have to swap that out for another pump if that may be the problem. I do my water change tomorrow and in any event, I have a small bioload, so I may shut down the skimmer for a day. I can't see it causing any problems...we'll see though.

I was looking at your sump area pictures and IMO you need to find a way to let air circulate better in there. To me it seems too "enclosed". If the doors remain closed basically you're just circulating hot air in there with the fans.

This mystery has me looking every direction Dude , I'm really trying to help you figure this one out :D

Back