My New Metal Halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

well you were just on denial, but that's it .

We COULD have saved 20 something pages for something else , but i'm sure it was worth the try .
I'm glad that you finally listened and that you're getting a chiller, I'm your temperature will drop with that .
good job dood good job .

20 something pages that may help someone else:) Here's a joke...How do you know you are a blonde? When you spend a week trying different things to cool a tank before reading the actual room temperature!:lol:

Hurrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you finally did it. From the break I thought [as I think you did] that your room was at 75 deg., not 81 !!!!!!!!!!. You can't cool a tank of water much below the temp the room its sitting in with your huminidy with just fans. The chiller would have been a no brainer if we had known the true room temp and that your wife won't let you cool it any lower while she is there, so this is one thing that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Thanks John...I would have done it looooong time if I knew the freaking thermostat was off, but atleast I helped bump some of your post counts:p I think I will be happy and I'm sure you guys will enjoy the pics as the corals start going in:)

Yeah man just have her sit next to the chiller. It will be like her own personal heater. LOL

LOL...Hopefully the thing won't heat up the place too much and in any event seeing it won't have to really run all that often when the lights are off. In any event, she won't know it's the chiller and will think it is just the typical hot Bahamian summer temperature doing it:D

Yeah put a hose on it and you guys can use it for a hair dryer too. LOL

ROFL...I may have to get me a nice pump and put that thing on the patio now! You guys are scaring me with this heat:lol: I'll just use one of my spare fans to blow on it:D

Fishermann- "Krish if your tank is sitting in a 81 deg. room your tank is going to stay atleast 81 deg. I would get a chiller for the tank. I live right in front of the pacific ocean in Wash on Pidilla bay and we have tremendous humidity, I run 2 dehumidifiers pretty much continually in each end of the house. I haven't seen the rise or fall of humity make much difference in the tank temp, it is the room temp that can make a big difference. Water evaporation is not the issue as much as getting the heat out from under that canopy when those MH's are on. My experience has been when the heat outside goes up the a/c comes on more often, not if the humidity changes. If your room temp is 81 your tank is going to stay 81 unless you can control it seperatly some how and that is with a chiller, lights on or lights off period, it isn't any pumps or motors it is room temp period!"

This is some terrible advice. You need a little thermodynamics before you misslead people like this. Warm air above the tank? Pff, thats one of those <5% heat source things, not an issue. Cooling air around the tank? Also one of those non-issues, if anything, AC drops tanks temps becuase it removes humidity.

Secondly, you could easily drop a tank below room temp with evaporation. This stuff about a tank not going below 81 deg in a 81 deg house is just completely incorrect.

Ok, let me try to break this down for the 10th time. This will be the last time, and then I'm just gona ignore it.

For water to evaporate, it requires an energy source, as its an endothermic process. The only place the water has to draw this energy is from the heat energy in the tank. This means, as water evaporates, it lowers the temp, and in a very substantial way. All the warm or cold (with small delta-T) air you want blowing over the tank you want removes or adds piddly little amount of heat. When you evaporate water however, you remove massive amounts of heat.

For example, have you ever seen a swamp cooler? Its a fan blowing on a giant flat wick of fiber paper sitting in a tub of water. They easily get 10+deg below room temp, and supply a nice cool breeze in a room. How are they below room temp if only warm air is hitting them? Because of the energy of vaporization being taken out thermally from the water to let it evaporate.

Now, what happens to a swamp cooler when humidity hits 100%? Nothing, its useless, no more cooling.

Ok, one more thing, human beings cool through evap cooling. For example, lets say we are in a 110deg day, and we are expending physical energy, which releases lots of heat. Our body is able to maintain 98.6degs because we sweat moisture onto our skin. Now, does warm moisture on our skin do anything to cool us? Nope, not a bit. So, how does it work? When the sweat evaporates it sucks tons of heat out of our skin, which is how a body can be internally generateing lots of heat, let staying well below room temperature because of evaporation.

Likewise, a human can stay cool and survive for many hours in 140deg+ dry heat, because sweat evaporates easily and sucks the heat out of the body. Where as humans can die of hyperthermia in just a 100 deg enviroment with 100% humidity, because the body is steadily making energy, but its neat cooling system doenst work.

Ok, thats the last of my talking about it. I hope maybe 1 person learned something.

-Luke

But Luke Krish already ordered a chiller!
How many fans would it take to get his tank cooler than 81 degrees & how much noise would that make, I just need a gustimate?
Also how much water evaporation you think it will take to accomplish this, that too may be an issue?

Yeah what your saying is probably right, I'm no expert like you. It is advice from being in this hobby since the seventies. I would like to know what you think you are going to do with all this water you want to evaporate inside Krishes house. I don't want to be sitting in a rainforest while I'm watching TV with a raincoat on. I don't know all the techs. like you, but I do know that the cooler the room is the cooler the tank well be from years of personal experience. Enough already.

Yeah...No rain forest needed in my place:D When I ran the fans 24/7 I would lose 2 gals of water easy in a day! I guess I will need to top off less now with the chiller:)

Yeah I would think so Krish, although I've never had one personally, but makes sense. Glad to see you get one.

Thanks! I lowered the thermostat from 75F to 72F and the tank with the lights on and the 6 inch sump fan off for the first time since getting it, the temp is still below 82F. Only 2.5 hours of light so far, but still. I went back to just mounting the fans to the side like they were before out of the way. So, I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting on the chiller. Rob went and un-packed it for me and measured it to see the exact width and it is not as wide as the site says which works even better for me. Now I don't have to grease my floor around my stand and wedge a car jack and some 2x4's between the wall and my stand to try and move the whole aquarium over an inch:eek: :lol:

LOL! you might have ended up moving the wall first. I tmust really feel good to get by this issue after all the stress and changing things around. Take that thermostat out and beat on it with a hammer, might make you feel better.

LOL! you might have ended up moving the wall first. I tmust really feel good to get by this issue after all the stress and changing things around. Take that thermostat out and beat on it with a hammer, might make you feel better.

LOL...Yeah I need to do that:p Yeah, I'm glad the stress is "almost" over. I could have taken the easy way out from the start, but wanted to see if it could be done without the chiller and I'm sure a few others here were interested as well. Not often do people get a chance to play around with heat issues this long because of the livestock they have at stake, but I didn't have much to loose and have pretty hardy fish. Now the research and trial and error has been done to save someone else quite a bit of time:)

Get the chiller, and PUT SOME GOSH DARN CORAL IN THAT PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Have you not heard??? The chiller is already ordered and has already been shipped!!!:p

which chiller did you go with? i have the JBJ 1/4 hp and it's awesome! mine rarely runs though..... but nice to know i have it.

sweet - now your problems will be solved and no humidity to worry about. like we all want to live in a sauna in our fish rooms! please luke! :) just teasin' you dude.... sorta.

sweet - now your problems will be solved and no humidity to worry about. like we all want to live in a sauna in our fish rooms! please luke! just teasin' you dude.... sorta.

LOL...Well, it's soon coral time! I fine tune that puppy when it gets here next week and then next weekend, I'm going hunting for some loose frags:)

i spent all day scrubbing 180 lbs of live rock for my new tank and no pictures yet! it's in trash cans

That's cool man! When are you going to take some pics? What type of rock was it?

Back