My New Metal Halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NOPE! Im the blind one LOL looked like a black/white stripped damsel at first....

LOL...He does look kinda black in there. I need Tom to bring his camera and take a few shots for me. See if he can get the color right:D

It would look a lot better with a black background lol.

Oh boy....:doubt: Don't say things like that man...I'm stuck with the blue cause it is siliconed from the inside of the tank. Oh boy...I hope you are messing with me as well as Sherman...:doubt: Man...corals will hide it:p

Looking good Krish, it's good to see you have entered the modern years!!!
Now put some coral in the $%^& tank, will you?

Thanks Charlie! Now do you believe me??? Remember you said all talk???:p Send some cold weather man and help a friend out:D

It would look a lot better with a black background lol.

ohhh please don't give him ideas :lol: .
Well since you don't wanna use ice cubes or anything colder... use a fan or get the chiller :p .

LOL Gabbs...I'll get the temp down. I ordered 30 fans you know;) I have a cross flow that will out do any fan out there, but it is just too loud. That is the only fan I've ever used that will keep some idiot who wants to crank a class AB amplifier full throttle, from overheating as quick. It is a BAD FAN! It's a long sleek thing that looks like a cylinder. I'll bring one home tomorrow and post a picture:)

ROFL:lol: My wife just cussed me in her sleep...Well she's half asleep:lol: I asked her where the old vents went to that the guys changed out this week for us and she wanted to know why:rolleyes: I told her and she said &%@&^*& i&^(&(* !! Think I should tell her I'll just get a chiller??:p

Pump or something man, It could be the canopy. Do you have the fans blowing air in? or out? Out of a sealed canopy seems to work best for me, in on the halides in a open canopy is how I have it at home. I kinda figure if the fans are blowing across hot mh bulbs then hitting the water it is moving heat to the water. Evaporitive cooling is helping but still. I could be way wrong though. You know how it is. I am insane. LOL

I am just messing with you Krish! I think it looks great. I know how difficult is it to get a well balanced shot with the 20k's, camera's just aren't made to take pictures in that spectrum. This is where photoshop comes into play.

If you keep your house at a bone chilling 72 I think you/we can keep ur tank cool WITHOUT a chiller. Mine is around 82 after the lights have been on for 12 hours and my apartment is roughly 75ish

Pump or something man, It could be the canopy. Do you have the fans blowing air in? or out? Out of a sealed canopy seems to work best for me, in on the halides in a open canopy is how I have it at home. I kinda figure if the fans are blowing across hot mh bulbs then hitting the water it is moving heat to the water. Evaporitive cooling is helping but still. I could be way wrong though. You know how it is. I am insane. LOL

LOL...Thanks Steve. We're all insane:p I have both blowing in now and was thinking on putting one in the center of the two to push the air out, but I was too busy just trying to get the thing up and running. I never had fans in there when I ran my pc's. I just added them tonight. The fans are on the same timer as the lights as well. I was afraid if I ran the fans 24/7, that when the halides shut of at night, I'd have a huge temperature swing. It may be a pump as well. The thing that I am happy about is the temperature didn't go up after running the halides. 2 1/2 hours isn't much to run them, but I'd figure it would jump some, but it didn't. Now that I have them up now, I can focus on the heat problem which I didn't even know I had. Can closed loops using an external pump (my mag950) add heat to the water? Doesn't seem all that logical that it woul, but still not sure...I know if the pump was sumberged then yeah, but that CL is external. I have a mag5 sitting in my sump though feeding my skimmer:mad: I may have to shut that off to see if that is causing some heat...

I am just messing with you Krish! I think it looks great. I know how difficult is it to get a well balanced shot with the 20k's, camera's just aren't made to take pictures in that spectrum. This is where photoshop comes into play.

I know Tom:p Photoshop??? Never used it. I just use what comes with the camera and that's it. I need to try photoshop:)

If you keep your house at a bone chilling 72 I think you/we can keep ur tank cool WITHOUT a chiller. Mine is around 82 after the lights have been on for 12 hours and my apartment is roughly 75ish

Yeah...Something went freaky here lately between dropping my old thermometer and getting the new one (about 2-3 weeks) If you check some of my old posts, my temp was around 79 degrees! I'm going to unplug every darn pump tomorrow!(LOL) Makes me feel like my thermostat isn't working. Andrew came by to bring me his thermometer to compare to my new one and said he couldn't believe how cool my bulbs were. He said if he stood next to his 175w 10K's he'd sweat! Hmm...I'll figure it out or I'm sure you guys will:p

Any pump can add heat krish external or submerged. My sequence dart is external, and my mag 7 and sedra 3500 are submerged. Put your hand on your pumps and see how hot they are. What were ur temps before the thermometer broke?

Any pump can add heat krish external or submerged. My sequence dart is external, and my mag 7 and sedra 3500 are submerged. Put your hand on your pumps and see how hot they are. What were ur temps before the thermometer broke?

79 degrees. I need to find my last post here when I posted that number. I'm sure I can find it to get a date. My mag950 is a bit warm, but not scolding hot. I may shut that off first to check things. My Tunzes and sea-swirl will do just fine on their own to test things. I'll go throgh them all. The only thing new I added lately was a Maxi jet in my sump to circulate water in the center chamber. Can't say that caused anything, but I un-plugged it and tossed it outside anyway:D I'm gonna be the first person with Cactus growing in my tank!:shock:

Add a couple URI super whites VHO's & they will blend your colors out nicely.
Oh very nice job on the Mh set-up, Oh man they have some kick comparing to before huh!

Add a couple URI super whites VHO's & they will blend your colors out nicely.
Oh very nice job on the Mh set-up, Oh man they have some kick comparing to before huh!

Definately man...Thanks! Very nice and bright! :)

I checked the temperture this morning at it is exactly the same as last night before going to bed (86F) The good thing is it is consistant. I'll have to see what it is when I get home after the lights had been on for a few hours...

Krish, you need to get that temp down!!!!

Yup! I'm ready to take the tank down...Always something. I'll figure it out eventually...I know this morning when I opened the canopy I felt a lot of warm air in there rushing out and the lights weren't even on. I guess I'll have to play with the canopy a bit first.

Is there a way you can get a fan on either end of that new canopy, 1 in and 1 out. Right now, I would be running those fans 24/7 to give you a hand with the temp. Are you sure that your thermometer is accurate???

First take the fans off & mount them in front of the lamps, this will blow the heat out the back of the open part of your canopy, add two more fans on the sides of these blowing across the water surface on each side all blowing to the back, together they will pull the heat out of your tank but you still need to find what is making your tank warm in the first place. Do like you said with the mag, turn it off & let your tank stabilize.

Back