My New Metal Halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krish75 said:
Naw...That can't move out any more than it is. The dining room table is right there...

Thats cool Krish...I was think along the lines of Steve....letting the hot air release from under the canopy. Without doing more to drilling cutting to your canopy.

Dude that is cool where did you get the stainless grills & does light come out the top of the hood?

Thats cool Krish...I was think along the lines of Steve....letting the hot air release from under the canopy. Without doing more to drilling cutting to your canopy.

Thanks man...Keep your fingers crossed. I feel good about it this time.I got it down a few degrees without the vents and the 3 inch fans, so now I've got 5 holes and 5 fans. I will do something good for sure. Just how much, we shall see:)

That looks great Krish! You beat me to my previous post. :p You are more handy than you give yourself credit for.

;) Shhh...I play with power tools to work all the time doing custom work in cars etc. Been fooling with tools for about 10 years now. I can use them a bit, but it doesn't take much to use a hole saw:p. I will post some photos when the demo car is finished so you can see what I can do;)

Dude that is cool where did you get the stainless grills & does light come out the top of the hood?

I got them from the marine shop here. I'll get a closeup. They were $5.25 each. Not much light comes out at all. Well, put it like this, the tank gives off so much light that you can't tell.

Thanks Willy and Matt! I just took some closeups and a few more shots so I'm going to upload them. Give me a few:)

Come up to Indy I may need holes drilled so I can look cool like you :p:p

:p No problem man...We can visit Premium Aquatics after:)

Here's the light coming off of the tank with all lights off in the living room. Pretty bright, but all is basically coming out of the tank itself and not the vents.

Here's the space I have for a chiller if I need one. This is where the ballast is...

Last edited:
Here's a little update. The MH's have been running for almost 2 hours now. When I woke up this morning, the temp was at 80.5F and when I got home it was 80.8F. It didn't move much at all throughout the day with an outside temperature in the low 90's. When I got home, I raised the thermostat a bit to make the temperature of the tank go up to 81F. It seems 80.5F - 80.8F is where it will sit on its own so I went a little above to see if the lights will continue to make it climb or the fans will bring it down. Usually after an hour or 2 the temperature would go up 1-1.5 degrees and as the day progresses it continued up slowly. Anyways, I just cheked the temp and it went down to 80.4F ;) Looks like we may have a winner, but tomorrow will be the real test after the lights would have been on for a lot longer. In any event, It seems like we've made headway and the problem may be solved. I don't mind a constant temp of 80.5 (or if I want it a bit lower, I can just drop the thermostat a bit lower). I can live with that and I'm sure everything else will. Keep your fingers crossed for me, but so far it's looking really good:)

Last edited:
Well good deal Krish, It seems you got the heat monster licked anyway. Its always heat issues with MH, After years of dealing with it I finally switched to T5. But you have to admit they do look very cool. I think on my project I may resort back to MH. But I got a turbo fan for that ass if I go that way. LOL, Glad for you it all turned out. Rock On dude!!!

Bob

Well good deal Krish, It seems you got the heat monster licked anyway. Its always heat issues with MH, After years of dealing with it I finally switched to T5. But you have to admit they do look very cool. I think on my project I may resort back to MH. But I got a turbo fan for that ass if I go that way. LOL, Glad for you it all turned out. Rock On dude!!!

Bob

Thanks Bob...Hopefully I can count my chickens tomorrow after a good few hours of light.:p

ROCK ON!!!!
GO KRISH!!!
That looks great man. You should be very proud. I cant wait to see corals growing out the top of the tank. All the cool stuff, we cant hardly ever get. I wanna see some cool atlantic corals.
The vents are a real trick idea. You mind if I use it?

ROCK ON!!!!
GO KRISH!!!
That looks great man. You should be very proud. I cant wait to see corals growing out the top of the tank. All the cool stuff, we cant hardly ever get. I wanna see some cool atlantic corals.
The vents are a real trick idea. You mind if I use it?

Thanks man...And no, I don't mind if you use the idea. I said "the" idea and not "my" idea because you guys gave me the idea.(LOL)

I woke up this morning and checked the temp and it was 80.9F. So it went up 1/2 a degree, but no biggie. I guess it's because the canopy was back on the tank and no fans were running. I figure I may setup 1 more fan to circulate air inside the canopy when the lights and the 5 fans are off during the night etc and have it go off the minute the 5 fans and lights come on. I'll see what happens today when I get home though...So far I'm feeling good about things:)

keeping up

Hey krish, just keeping up with this tread as I am considering MH lighting. The main drawback is cost involved. How is the cooling issue working out. I've heard they burn hot. Are the fans enough to disapate the heat? :rolleyes:

Hey krish, just keeping up with this tread as I am considering MH lighting. The main drawback is cost involved. How is the cooling issue working out. I've heard they burn hot. Are the fans enough to disapate the heat?

Hey man...So far with all the new adjustments last night, things seem to be going well. Today will be the real test though. I only ran my lights for 2 hours last night with the new fans and instead of the temperature rising 1 degree almost every hour (as it did before cutting the holes and adding the extra fans), it dropped 1/2 a degree. I think the big ticket was the fans sucking out the hot air at the top. Before I cut those holes, my canopy was hot to the touch from the heat making it's way through the wood. Last night, it was light the lights weren't on, but if I put my hands above the exhaust fans at the top, if felt almost like they were giving off steam! I'll update the numbers when I get home after the lights would have been on for a few hours. I'm feeling very hopeful and really hope that I can put it all to rest now:)

Last edited:
I figured i'd just add this in here for the record. This link is to another thread I started with info on the vents if anyone else is interested in them:)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14691

Oh, yeah, my friend just called me and said they brought in (15) 5 inch fans that are 110v that will put the spare 12v fan I got from him to shame. Says they blow crazy air! I'm going to check them out later if I get the chance, just incase I may need them. In any event, I'll get the specs and the name of them incase anyone else here may want to look for them online to order for themselves if the numbers sound good (especially since they are 110v and you don't need an ac/dc converter) They are the same design as the fans I have now, just 110v and blow much harder:)

Back