Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Marty you've no idea how much it sucks...I cried!
I have been a lover of keeping fish for over 35yrs. Shoot I had FW fish that lived 15+ years! But keeping salt water fish has been nothing but heart break for me. I'm just totally disgusted :( They die, they disappear, they're mean or they stay hidden in a freaking corner even though they're the only fish in the tank! UGH!!!
So what do I do? Just got done acclimating a Bi-Colored Blenny...glutton for punishment or what?!

Marty you've no idea how much it sucks...I cried!
I have been a lover of keeping fish for over 35yrs. Shoot I had FW fish that lived 15+ years! But keeping salt water fish has been nothing but heart break for me. I'm just totally disgusted :( They die, they disappear, they're mean or they stay hidden in a freaking corner even though they're the only fish in the tank! UGH!!!
So what do I do? Just got done acclimating a Bi-Colored Blenny...glutton for punishment or what?!

I really do know how you feel, and I don't have much advice except, I know you have the experience to keep fish and corals.
We are taking fairly delicate creatures out of their natural environment and trying to re-create it in small containers.
There are so many things that can go wrong. We can only do what we can see.
It may have had something to do with the damsel.

I just lost 3 lyretail anthias. I got them in last week and they need would never eat for me. They lasted 3 days. I was crushed too.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Dang!! I'm sorry for your loss too :( It just really sucks! Now I have a single Yellowlined Cardinal that I'm bringing back. Dang fish is a total spazz! Darts like a missile for the food then cowers in the corner the rest of the time :( I mean this fish eats. I think it may have freaked the Basslet out to the point she just stopped eating...I don't know???
Well here's hoping the Blenny thrives!

Well got a handle on the crap that was growing on my SB. Did a 10g WC & siphoned the majority out. Along with about a pound of sand-lol. I've come to the conclusion that it was the dosing of zoo and phytoplankton that was the cause. I didn't dose this week and already see a difference. Yahoo!!

Mr. Blenny is settling in very nicely. :)
2adatuha.jpg

rebujydu.jpg

ja9a7yru.jpg

ytutymyr.jpg

yja2ytyq.jpg

To feed my pod population & corals. :) Trying something new, you know just to see-lol.

On another note: look at the sweepers on this lil Brain. I'm scared to see them when it gets bigger. They're already 4-5" long.

Notice the tiny white dots upper left? Those are the ends of the sweepers!!
u8ymage9.jpg

Besides this brown crap on my SB NOT going away and my rock getting covered with reddish wiry algae? Nope nothing new-lol. Corals are doing wonderful! Favia frags are already touching the SB :) Blenny's still alive as well as the Cardinal I've yet to get rid of. I've also decided my next fish is going to be a Falco Hawk Fish.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407735314.857497.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407735330.490891.jpg

I don't remember if you said you've tried GFO or not. If you are not using it, maybe it's time to consider it before the algae gets out of hand?
Or more snails and sand sifting critters?

I haven't tried GFO yet. I've no reactor and am not sure where I would put a bag or even if a bag would do much good. What do you think?

I don't know if just placing a mesh bag with GFO in the sump would do much good. I've seen the instructions on some premade chemicals ( not GFO) that come in mesh bags that do say to place in a flow area of a sump. Maybe near the drain where it drops into the sump.
I always though GFO needs to be slowly tumbled in a container ( reactor) of somesort.

All it really needs is a smaller container that has a inlet and a outlet and a way to keep the material trapped inside while allowing water to pass through. Of course it needs a small pump.
I found a small container like that a few years ago that I used on my 50 gallon tank.
I'll try and find a link to it or get a picture. It's pretty small, maybe 4" in diameter and 4" tall. I use a small maxi-jet to power it.

I use a large bulkreefsupply double unit on my 233 for GFO and carbon.

Back