Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Are you satisfied with the Kent Marin? I'm using Reef Crystals and am wondering if that's the problem? I've never had Alk issues until setting up this tank. This is a new batch of salt mix too.

I've only started using the Kent salt about 2 months ago. So far it's been good. Haven't really tested much lately. ( I'm not a test person lol)

I knew things were going to good to last. Last 3 days my jbj ATO has been dumping gallons. Finally took it off line this a.m. I'll try another float switch but other then that it's back to manual top off :(
So now I'm mixing water to do a change. Salinity dropped from 1.026 to 1.024. Not much but I'll feel better getting it back up.

Cr@p.
Is this a new JBJ ATO?

I try and keep my salinity at 1.024-1.025.
Gives me a little wiggle room either way.

Are you using both float switches that the unit comes with?
I use to use a double float with mine until the float in my sump stopped working so I went to a single float and it's worked fine.

Single float switch in sump. Looked everywhere can't find the other one. <sigh> Guess I'll get in the habit of adding a cup a day-lol.

Any suggestions for a not to expensive ATO? Besides jbj?

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Lost one of my Cardinals this morning :( I believe there was something not quite right with it. The other Cardinal & the Damsel just wouldn't leave it alone. I was just telling myself that I was going to bring it in to the LFS as I couldn't stand the bullying of it.
On another note I found my other ato sensor so I'll give that a try today. Hope it works! This manual topping off is a PITA. Guess I got spoiled :)

But these two have become best buds...they hang out in this area a lot.
puqu6u4y.jpg

yvasyzy9.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer about the shrimp. Have any idea why?

Love the pictures of the basslet out and about.
Haven't seen mine in 2-3 weeks.

No idea at all. Age maybe? There was a molt caught up in the power head and he was on the SB. Did notice that the last two days prior he/she was releasing a very white cloudy substance??

As for the Basslet...she/he loves hanging out with the Cardinal.
Lost the other Cardinal yesterday...it wasn't doing good from day one. The other fish seemed to know it too as they wouldn't leave it alone.

Found my other ato sensor and am now hooked back up! Yahoo!! Learned one thing....sure do have a lot of evaporation :-/

Well I spoke to soon. ATO just dumped about 1/2g into my sump. So it's gotta be the unit itself as the pump keeps running even though the float is all the way up.
Gotta use the rest of my credit for a new ATO. There goes my fish :(

OMG!! How dumb can one person be?! Sitting here thinking about my ATO and why it's not working. Tested both float switches outside of the tank and low an behold, both worked as they should. Well WTH?!
Hmmmm could it be possible that the two magnets I attached to the suction cups be the issue? Interfering with them somehow? Well guess what, I held one of the magnets up next to the float switch and taaa daaa, the unit turns on!!
Found my problem and removed the magnets :)

OMG!! How dumb can one person be?! Sitting here thinking about my ATO and why it's not working. Tested both float switches outside of the tank and low an behold, both worked as they should. Well WTH?!
Hmmmm could it be possible that the two magnets I attached to the suction cups be the issue? Interfering with them somehow? Well guess what, I held one of the magnets up next to the float switch and taaa daaa, the unit turns on!!
Found my problem and removed the magnets :)

Not dumb at all.
Just a learning experience.

Glad it worked out

I'm not the person for fish suggestions. I have such a plain fish list in my big tank.
I tried going different on my 50, but it didn't work too well. lol

One thing I do look at since both my tanks are open tops, are they known jumpers?
Most fish will jump when spooked, but some are competitive jumpers.

Haha I pic my fish pretty much the same way....are they known jumpers. I do think I need to remove this Yellowtail Damsel. He was cool for a bit with his own rock area. But now he's trying to take over the Basslet's area and I'm NOT having that!

Back