Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well just spent 30 minutes with toothbrush in hand scrubbing the heck outta the rock. Removed as much as I could via siphon and fine mesh net.

After much research I believe this to be a green form of Cyanobacteria. These are not my pics but identical looking to what I've got.
94518a72e3e047973baf7547f73b66d2.jpg

a305e6e965251064bc52b88bd27fd48d.jpg

i wonder if the light change means you have to go through all the algea stages, like when a tank is new?
i mean, it seems a feasible thing since your lighting and spectrums could be drastically different now...

I never had any algae issues with any of my tanks before. This is all really new to me. The sand bed issue and now this stuff. Plus being unable to buy any sort of remedy leaves me frustrated beyond belief.
I've got new substrate (thanks to you) and am working on removing the old....slowly. Just fearful of causing a crash as I'm in no position to recover from one.
After reading all day I'm beginning to wonder if it's more of a bacteria imbalance. Like maybe I don't have enough of the right kind? Or this was a long time coming and the new lights triggered something into action. Or maybe when I overdosed h2o2 that killed off the beneficial bacteria? I don't freaking know.
I'm stuck for now doing weekly 12% WC just trying to stay on top of it.

I'm also aware that I'm sounding like one of those reefers I'm none to fond of :(

Last edited:
Today is the first day running my lights with 0% red/green/uv. White's 10% max. Blues left as set by Radiant Template. Pretty much exactly like what I ran my black box at.

Have you ever tried Boyd's Chemiclean. I use it once in awhile when I get cyano, works great. It will at least help get rid of what is there and maybe get a step ahead of your problem. It is safe, I've never had it bother my corals or fish.

i'm not one for chemical treatmets, but i agree at this point itwould totally be worth a try... i don't ever remember reading someone have a bad experience...

I have used it for years, never had a problem. I don't use a lot of chemicals either, but I do believe in this product. Just make sure you follow the directions to the letter. Your skimmer will go crazy for awhile, but it will settle down. It will bubble over, just get rid of the water it is expelling and replace it. It is good stuff.

Ok. Stuck an airstone in front of my return pump and added ChemiClean Treatment. Waters definitely oxygenated!! Lol
Candy Cane slimed right up-lol. Man I hope I don't kill my clam. Skimmer turned down and cup off.
b2430d47bc46e6193cafbfd344e57fbb.jpg

Last edited:
I hope it doesn't bother your clam either. I've never had a clam, so I don't have any experience regarding that. Good luck.

It will take 48 hours before you will see any difference. Don't base it on just 24 hours. Make sure you do a water change after the 48 hours.

It did something! The green stuff is all but gone, both on the SB and rock. I siphoned what little there was left.
I cannot believe what this sand has turned into beneath my rock. It's totally solidified! Same as it's done beneath my Favia.
This WC I went back to adding new mix via my sump. I noticed the green was worse in the corner of the DT where I was adding new mix. Not sure why adding new water to DT would cause algae or Cyano issues but I'll see if it helps.
All in all tank looks much better. Just wish I knew what this rusty looking crap is on the SB. Regardless I'm removing the entire SB a bit at a time.
83faf5ddadee4059ca977623c781d80d.jpg

Probably diatoms, I get that every now and then. I am glad it is clearing up. I think the Chemiclean is pretty harmless except to the cyanobacteria. I think as far as your sand bed you might want to get something to keep your sand mixed up. I have nassarius snails, (the one that plow thru the sand with their little snorkels sticking up. They keep it mixed up. Just a thought.

I have 7 large Nass Snails and a Strawberry Conch. Plus many Spaghetti Worms. I've been using a rake for 2yrs. After raking it all pretty white within 24hrs it's back. I've tested all water sources for silicates including the DT. Even bought a new RO/DI unit. Only thing dosed is BRS Calc/ALK. I've ran Phosguard in a reactor. NO3 & PO4 are undetectable via Salifert.
Nothing left to do but remove it.

Back