Octupus Xtreme skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i would rate them as follows:

xtreme 160 up to 175-200g

xtreme 200 up to 200-250g

xtreme 250 up to 400-500g

each of the pumps will pull 1000-1100 lph after you fix their crappy meshing... and i usually follow the formula of 500lph of air injection per 100g for sps quality water, personally

o.k. just saw these bad buys on RC,
these look waaay better, f'ing awesome is more like it.
this is the new octopus pro series coming out in feb/march from coralvue.
it will be $450 for the 8" model, the pro 250
and the air injection is as follows

Skimmer Depth
-------------------------------------
10" Water 30scfh 38w
9" Water 40scfh 36w
8" Water 45scfh 34w
6" Water 50scfh 30w

IMG_1581.jpg

Octopus20Pro20pump.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

they use modified laguna pond pumps same as BK

Yep, there pretty much the same as the MSX200 except there a hundred bux more. Same air, same wattage, just a different pump, a red dragon ko. Like I posted a page ago. I currently have the msx200 set up, redid the mesh job and have a home aid venturi on there and i'm getting 40scfh in 10" of water. Pretty solid. It does seem like to work properly you have to have the correct restrictor and venturi done correctly as well as fishing string on the mesh instead of the zip ties. That is one draw back and the only I see as the design is great and i dont think i'd change a thing. The new hagen pump is very nice though as its a pinwheel so you don't ever have to worry about remeshing it. If they were the same price I would probably take the coralvue. However i don't think they made the neck quite wide enough as its only 4" and a 4" neck can't handle over 35scfh.

Skimerwhisperer what is the name of that skimmer to find, has pump Laguna any link?
There are other models for 200gal is better than MSX 200
Please Help with selecting a good skimmer

Diego, depends on how large of tank your looking to skim. That skimmer will pull around 650lph air which is pretty well The msx200 will pull over 1300lph air. The prices are relatively the same, the msx being maybe 50bux more. As for the new coralvue skimmer with the hagen pump it isn't going to be out til after Feb and then the test's begin. Should be alot like the test's going on with the MSX right now. Personally I think they are both going to be excellent skimmers but the msx is going to win my vote with the 350-450 pricetag and more selections. HTH

Luke

whereras myself, i'll take that hagen pump and pay extra for it any day of the week. also, they are using thicker acrylic, and better ports for the pump and outlet, all in all it seems a much better skimmer, but the jury's still out...i'd like to try one of each...:)

and diego, i personally like the way the cup connects to the skimmer body on the octo int ps-150...

Until there's a side by side......who knows which will work better, but regardless both look to be excellent skimmers for the price.

Luke33 thanks, i commented reef aquarium will be a 130-gallon heavy load why I seek a good skimmer, the bad thing is that my country sent and taxes raises the cost, now between 150 MSX and INT PS -200 which will be best for this tank

Skimerwhisperer you said, they are using thicker acrylic, and better ports for the pump and outlet, which octo int ps or msx

There's one of the coralvue s being tested at the moment but it looks like the 4" neck can't handle the air. 4" will handle around 32-35scfh max, but there trying to push 50 through it, which isn't going to work very well at all. The neck isn't tapered and slick as teh msx skimmer line.

Diego for a 130g i'd go with the msx200 as it'll be more than enough and only 50bux more. But if i had to choose between the msx160 or the octo200 extreme i'd go with the 160 as its pulling 900lph compared to the 200's 640lph.

i dont think it will be that big of a deal for coralvue to get a 5" or 6" cup on there, honya makes them for other skimmers anyway....and remember, this is the testing phase, so im sure they will iron things out to make them the best they can be before the retail release.

everyone was complaning about build quality of the msx, well now coralvue has addressed this with there model as well as incorporated a much better quality, stable pump. as i said, i think they will be worth every extra penny they cost over the msx, and at least as popular in use once they get the bugs worked out.

the bottom line though is that they will both be great skimmers for the money, and that this is a huge leap foreward for making higher quality skimmers available to more cheap american noobs, so they dont have to spend the same money on skimmers that bite ass.

also, coralvue could also just use the same body that marine solutions is using and put their pump on it, that might be an option as well, but then there wouldnt be increased build quality.
and admittantly, i dont care for the black plastic transition between the reaction chamber and neck, just like deltec, that's typically where the water level is and it helps if you can see it, but not the end of the world, i'd still take it despite that... as i said on RC, the skimmer looks like a bk married a deltec and they had babies lol

Yep, i'd agree about the black taper, makes it look cheap! lol. I don't know of anyone who is complaining about the build quality but one person. My msx200 is built identical to my octo200 so unless you plan on dropping it alot, it will work fine and is built stronger than an asm by far. Pretty much the same build as a bm. As far as coralvue corecting the neck. Not going to happen as they go on sale in Feb. That is a sweet pump though. I hope they sell them seperate from the skimmers(although they will pry charge 250 bux)

Thanks, then you recommend buying the MSX 200 or MX 150 NOT INT PS-200
The material MSX is fragile?? You think that is broken or is it simply to take care
hummmm believe that the new coralvue is the octopus pro only make 250 gal and is worth 400 dollars

i got th octo extreme ps-150 tuesday and took the day off weds to add to my system. had to do some replumbing so i went to lowes and mccleandon hardware stores. i decided to also change my closed loop return from 3/4 inch to 1 1/4 inch pvc. man what a difference that makes! so after 4am in the morning ready to power it up i added water to the skimmer. it started to leak bad, so i decided to call bf in the morning. talked to chris , and he talked to mark, saying i need to add the washers on. so thats what those buggers are in the package. thursday night added the washers and no leaks. turned on thr recirc pump and i almost lost my mind. the bubbles are so extereme! i was curious what a mesh mod wold look like....gonna send pm to skimmerwhisperer
next morning saw the gunk in the cup and amazed at what this stuff pulls out. had a berlin pro skimmer previously :)
now i had to add a maxijet 1200 on the output of the skimmer because my sump sits higher than the output of the skimmer. woks great but i have a couple issues. first its leaking a little where you connect the stand pipe to the 90 degree pvc that enters the skimmer. its not bad, but i was thinking glueing it together, maybe silicone, that way i can take apart and clean in the future. second, there is a loud gurgling sound on top of the output pipe, due to the fact the maxijet 1200 is sucking the output water, to reach the top of the sump. any suggestions skimmerwhisperer?

Back