Octupus Xtreme skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here's what i get every 4 days.

MSX13-20-08.jpg

MSX43-20-08.jpg

MSX23-20-08.jpg

MSX33-20-08.jpg

And the rma series air meters i have hooked up. And they are restricting so its pulling more than 50scfh. Pry around 52-55scfh.

100_1814.jpg

100_1804.jpg

100_1793.jpg

if you do the mesh right, were talking 1200 lph of air @20w, some can even get it up to 1300 with a little venturi and outlet modification.

What venturi and outlet mods are you referring to?

Mine's pulling 1400+lph air and at 15watts fwiw. I've seen people get them over 1800lph air.

I just did the regular sicce mod to mine, which involves the reducer, the 3/8" id air inducer and three layers of flatbottom mesh on the impeller.

Recirculating the skimmer adds alot of dwell time to the reaction chamber meaning there's more time for the air and water to mix together to pull out the doc's. Outside water level doesn't matter either.

I am thinking about getting the msx 160.
In the mean, I have an Excalibur skimmer if a bio ball modded maxi jet 1200.
Do you think it will help if I recirc'd my excalibur until I decide which skimmer I am going to get?

The exaliber is pretty small in diamter. I honestly wouldn't worry about recirculating it. Just plan for the future upgrade : )

Thank you. Sounds good to me.
I have a 75 sw with a 20 gal sump.
Would you recommend the xsm 160or200, or the asm g1 or g2?
These seem be the ones I keep hearing about.

csdoyle,

How did you seal your gray riser arms? (The water outlet.)
I don't want cement it, but I will if I have to.
I just got an Octo recirc 200nw yesterday.

I BOUGHT A EXTREME 150 AND IN BROKE IN LESS THAN 30 DAYS!! First of the pump sweld up! The impeller fell apart and the rod going threw the center was broken in a couple pieces! At the same time when I removed the pump the flang on the skimmer had crumbled into about 10-15 pieces!

for future note. I wouldn't recommend hitting your skimmer with a baseball bat to empty the collection cup.
I BOUGHT A EXTREME 150 AND IN BROKE IN LESS THAN 30 DAYS!! First of the pump sweld up! The impeller fell apart and the rod going threw the center was broken in a couple pieces! At the same time when I removed the pump the flang on the skimmer had crumbled into about 10-15 pieces!

silicon

csdoyle,

How did you seal your gray riser arms? (The water outlet.)
I don't want cement it, but I will if I have to.
I just got an Octo recirc 200nw yesterday.

i used aquarium silicon for mine, so i can still take apart and clean. i would wait about an hour to cure, or use a hairdryer for faster cure time. good luck

i used aquarium silicon for mine, so i can still take apart and clean. i would wait about an hour to cure, or use a hairdryer for faster cure time. good luck

Where is your skimmer sitting?
Do you have it in a refugium or sump?

Mine is sitting on the floor, next to my sump.
I used cement to prevent any major water damage.
So far so good. It is a lot of skimmer for my 75 gal, but it is pulling out some heinous stuff.

Well, I'll tell ya what....I just purchased this skimmer and received it today. First of all after unpacking it the bubble plate was chipped where the screw holds it down so that needs to be replaced, and the silencer was broken so it needs to be replaced. I also had to redo the mesh mod. Once everything was ok to give it a bath i got everything ready, plugged it in, and got shocked. The pump did not kick the POS surge protector I got but that really doesn't mean much since it fried the socket it was plugged into. Looks like it melted the top of the pump a little. So 1st impression of a skimmer that was about $390 shipped? Needs new bubble plate, silencer, and pump. Overall I am very unhappy with receiving something so expensive in such a condition. (Yeah its cheap compared to the competiton however it is still pricy for a piece of plastic.)

Well now its off to the whole game of trying to get a hold of them between x and x time since word all over message boards is that they are next to impossible to get a hold of.

Back