Question regarding LED lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

WHOA ! I... I f f feel so violated :scared: and what will people think now... :gossip::confused::smash:

NOW FLOYD :focus::focus::focus: PLEASE !!!

Looking forward to your help with my LED's, but my dog stands between us :bounce:

Cheers and back to you Lorrie, Todd

Yeah Todd, what he said. Using the tank to support the light bracket or arm is probably the way to go. But we need to think about being able to take the light off the tank or at least move it without having to move the tank. There are some pics earlier in the thread showing the base the tank is sitting on. It has a slot cut out of it that a light stand (which a pic is also posted earlier) was mounted in. That cut out can be modified if you need to make the stand a little wider or longer.

Last edited:
Sheesh, Lorrie, I wish I had read this post before the weekend, that is good thinking.
Moving the light out of the way is so obvious, but I missed it.
I need to noodle that around a bit.
Here are some early pictures of the light assembly before final route, fit and polish.
No pictures of the stand, because that will have to change to allow access to the tank... DUH!
My thanks to Larry for the use of his mill and lathe during the process. He asked that you send a picture when it is all done and running...
-Todd

IMG_0405.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0463.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0462.jpg
[/IMG]

So I see 2"wide by 3"long tang under the tank to hold the light. I can make that out of 3/16 aluminum and you can shim it if need be.
How thick is the material that the tank sits on?
If that feels like it will not be enough length to hold the light I might have to make it a bit bigger.
Will you have the room to slide the light out of the slot to do tank maint? It would not allow you to put the tank back against a wall, but it is an easy solution.
If not, I will have to come up with a latch or hinge to remove the light from the stand.

So I see 2"wide by 3"long tang under the tank to hold the light. I can make that out of 3/16 aluminum and you can shim it if need be.
How thick is the material that the tank sits on?
If that feels like it will not be enough length to hold the light I might have to make it a bit bigger.
Will you have the room to slide the light out of the slot to do tank maint? It would not allow you to put the tank back against a wall, but it is an easy solution.
If not, I will have to come up with a latch or hinge to remove the light from the stand.

The base that the tank is sitting on is 3/16" thick.
I can cut the base real easy to fit a wider or longer base for the stand. And this thing only weighs about 28-30lbs. I can move the tank and base out from under the light if I need to.

What if the 2 screws holding it to the frame were removable IE thumbscrews or butterfly nuts, this would allow for easy removal. Then it could just be lifted out of the way and placed to the side.

Yep, that would work if there is good access to the top, and if there is enough slack in the wiring to allow it to move to the side.
If the tank back is not against a wall, she should be able to just slide it back to access.
I will grab thumb screws if I can find some in 10-32 local.

Both of you Dudes ROCK. I cant wait to see it.
I'm sure I will have a few frags you might be interested in for all your work on this.

Thanks to both of you :)
I'm not much of a machinist but I had fun making the light.
I will polish it this week and figure a way to get it to Floyd...

WOW I know that I said it before Lorrie "You are one lucky girl" this is one sweeeeet lil LED light set. :hail: Floyd, :hail: Todd, :hail: Larry

Cheers, Todd

So I still need to cut and countersink the splash guard. I will post pictures of what I have left here shortly. Hey North Todd, would love to figure out a pick up time. Let me know.

Ready for pickup :)
I will be around the shop tomorrow if you are headed to B-ham.
Well I know for sure that I will never be a machinist, but I had fun.
I hope the lights that Floyd installs are really bright, that way people will not be able to see all my mistakes!

IMG_0472.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh, I posted a little too late...HAHA

Nice Todd.....
Question....how tall is it over all.

Ready for pickup :)
I will be around the shop tomorrow if you are headed to B-ham.
Well I know for sure that I will never be a machinist, but I had fun.
I hope the lights that Floyd installs are really bright, that way people will not be able to see all my mistakes!

IMG_0472.jpg
[/IMG]

I was taking so long posting I didnt see your post. I almost think we might be using too may lights, so it just might be bright enough to blind you.
Anyway, looks good....
Just so I can get an idea how its going to fit, how tall is it and how long is the top piece front to back?
What are the measurements of the base? Just wondering if I need to modify the piece the tank is sitting on.

Last edited:
DUde you bring tears to my eyes, I am crying from joy and happiness. That thing is amazing. You completly ROCK. I am actually heading out tomorrow to Kirks house down by Todd's house, I am installing his lights for him tomorrow. I would be able to come by but it would have to be early let me know. Give me a call when you get this. Again it came out amazing.

Back