Red Bugs - Inevitable?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

maxx said:
I went out and bought a small 10 gallon tank that I hooked a a powerhead up to, and dumped all my hermits, (cept for the one I couldnt find...), one of my Blood shrimp, and the three acro crabs into while the treatment was going on. I was unable to get one of my bloodshirmp out intitially, but somewhere around the 4-5 hour mark of the treatment, he/she started acting a little "off" and I was able to get it out of the tank safely. Both blood shrimp survived, the hermit in the tank I couldnt get out didnt...and neither did an emereld crab that somehow survived the 1st, but not the 2nd treatment...

Alberto,
I disagree with your assessment that the medication becomes less active in your system after a few hours. Thinking about the original purpose of this drug, (Milbemycin Oxime which is the active ingredient that coincidentally kills crustaceans in addition to heartworms) is to a monthly heartworm medication...so it should have a reletively long half life. From my own observations, I lost two more scarlett hermits after did a water change, ran carbon, and turned on my skimmer. One died a day after the 2nd treatment, and the 2nd died 2 days after the treatment. I have a 58 gallon BB tank with an Iwaki 55RLT pushing approx 1K gph through my clsoed loop...so stagnant areas where a heavier than water solution could settle dont exist in my tank.

I realize thats nowhere near a scientific observation, but the design behind the drugs intended purpose and my own observations in the system lead me to believe that Interceptor stays in the tank a little longer than folks intially think.

Nick

Not so much restocking as returning back to the tank after the treatment.

According to the Reports Its is Easily removed from the Tank Via Carbon... From my understanding The Interceptor isnt too stable in water... When I treated I pulled everything that was in harms way that I could TReated the tank... Waited til the next day.. Dropped in carbon and did my water change... Then tossed everything back in... Dang hermits.. Should have left them out for good.. They ended up Stealing all my Snails... anyways I saw no harm from tossing them back in...

I sure would like to find out where the bugs originated from howerver... I would be nice to try and figure where these pests are coming from to put a stop... I havent seen any bugs coming in on the Bali Aquacultured corals.. Mainly just see them on Frags from other Reefers..

James

Reed:

maxx said:
My diadema urchin was also unaffected by the treatment.

I also know Hooked/Katrina has a blue tuxedo urchin (I think that's right...the kind that carries stuff around and is blue :)), and she also has 3 cucumbers in her tank, that all survived treatment just fine.

I had a Cuke In my tank... Was just fine... Only thing that seemed to be affected were shrimps (hit/miss) and crabs... Pods died back but the population bounces back real quick...

James

i also have a yellow cuke and two erchins, one long spined black and a blue tuxedo, that did fine through the treatment.

i lost blue leg hermits, a sally light foot crab and cleaner shrimp. still have lots of pods in the sump???

Sorry I"ve not followed closely enough to notice if people are loosing BTA's or removing them with this treatment.

Terry

No one to date that I have seen have lost any anemones that have been coralated to the dosing/treatment of interceptor... Mine made it thru as so did several 100 other ones That I personally know about

James

Thanks everyone! I think I will try to get the shrimp and acro crab out an try my luck then. Eveyone else is doing it :)

I understand the concern for your livestock, but I am rather confused why people are concerned about gastropods, Echinoderms and anenomes when we are talking about a nuero-toxin designed to impact nematodes and select arthopods. This will not kills your anemones, your fish, your coral, your dog or your cat. Though the after effects could have a cascading impact should one not be mindful of deteriorated water qulity due to die-off of targeted orders/familys (which can be curtailed by removing larger charges from the system before treatment).

Perhaps it would do those of you have yet to do so a great service to read the original research and posts on this treatment done by Dustin over at ORA. We all owe him a great deal of thanks for his time on this topic. I spoke to him serveral times on the topic before treating my system and I found his information to be wholly accurate and derived from applied knowledge rather than speculation.

Treatment recommendations:
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=439155#439155

Treatment stories and anecdotal experiences:

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtop...0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=red+bugs

-Erik

Last edited:
Macbeth417 said:
This will not kills your anemones, your fish, your coral, your dog or your cat.

Good post Erik. I had to bring up the fact that this medication can harm dogs and cats when used inappropriately as well as with certain breeds. Heartworm meds are prescribed for good reasons. So please folks keep this away from your other pets. Definately not a good pill to pop for a treat ;)

Heh, I most certainly agree John as far as being responsible with any medication. I was just trying to make a point with a little humor by including cat and dogs ; )

-Erik

Macbeth417 said:
This will not kills your anemones, your fish, your coral, your dog or your cat.

This most certainly can kill your dog or cat if they have heartworms and have not been tested. There is a reason this drug is a prescription. If you have a dog or cat, please keep the meds away from them, and/or get them tested for heartworms. Its a simple blood test performed once a year :).

edit: typed before I switched the page. Thanks John.

Good lord people... I don't think anyone will be tossing one to their cat and dog after they treat their tank, nor does that have anything to do with the intent of my post. I do not recommend dosing random pets with wild abandon or tossing your dog in your tank when you treat to kill two birds with one stone. My point was that there is a lot of hear-say and opinion in this thread from people that have not necessarily even used the treatment or spoken with those who originated it. I am simply trying to push for people to read and contact those in the know rather then continue to speculate and offer opinions.

-Erik

Last edited:
Back