Roscoe's 270g build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IMG_3201.jpg

I thought I gave myself enough space at 36'' in between the stand to easily get the skimmers in and out of the stand for cleaning. I still have to tilt the skimmer on it's side to get it out or in the sump! I totally wanted to avoid that but it's no biggie... now that it's said and done oh well you live and learn.

All the best planning in the world and you will still have these issues Sarang. Ask anyone who works on cars, planes, computers, and so on....everything gets planned, layed out, then there is something in the end that doesn't quite work the way it was planned. Build looks great so far and the preplanning is showing. Nicely done.

PS: I have to get a contortionist to come over to get my skimmer out and to put it back I need some vaseline...lol. I would kill for the clearance you have.

All the best planning in the world and you will still have these issues Sarang. Ask anyone who works on cars, planes, computers, and so on....everything gets planned, layed out, then there is something in the end that doesn't quite work the way it was planned. Build looks great so far and the preplanning is showing. Nicely done.

PS: I have to get a contortionist to come over to get my skimmer out and to put it back I need some vaseline...lol. I would kill for the clearance you have.

I know things never turn out as you plan sometimes but man I wish in this case it did LOL. I can't complain though some like yourself have tighter space.

As far as planning goes I had a vision in my head for sometime now and hopefully that vision turns out to be just what I see in my head. This is just the beginning of this system. I am sure it will grow much bigger through out the times. I plan on adding a clam tank 24''-30'' shallow cube, Rose bubble refugium tank with snocasso or picasso clowns and as my interest grows to newer challenges I might set-up a Sea Hosre tank. My 3 car garage might turn into just a one car or no car garage LOL.

Somehow I managed to miss this thread till tonight... Seems like it wasn't that long ago you said, "I bought a 270G, does anyone know where I can get some holes drilled in my foundation?":lol: Really nice build, you,with the help of others here have done a wonderful job...Looking forward to seeing it one day!

Now I need to get off my dead butt and get my tank set up!!!;)

Somehow I managed to miss this thread till tonight... Seems like it wasn't that long ago you said, "I bought a 270G, does anyone know where I can get some holes drilled in my foundation?":lol: Really nice build, you,with the help of others here have done a wonderful job...Looking forward to seeing it one day!

Now I need to get off my dead butt and get my tank set up!!!;)

You are right it wasn't too long ago since I asked that question:lol:. Good thing I didn't have to go through the foundation! I've been real busy coordinating w/ so many kind folks here with the Stand and Canopy (Salty Bell), Plumbing ran from DT to Garage (Mightymouse), Holes drilled in tank (Tangee), Canopy bracket Welded(Josh748/Loohunter), Stand for sump (reeferman069) and everyone else that has helped that I forgot to mention.
I want to thank you guys again!

Yeah I'm not good at updating the build LOL. I try to once every few days. I'm almost done just have to get her in the house and on the stand.

Yeah your right it would be easier, remember what happened last time to my pants...don't want that to happen again!:D

Yes I do remember what happened to your pants when we picked it up LMAF:lol::lol::lol::lol:. I didn't want to mention it. We sure don't want to break anything be it glass or fabric!!

unless you have a doorway that its going to be a pretty tight fit through I think you should be fine.

Tom

Oh yes it is going through the front door. We have plenty of room it is only 24'' tall. We just need to turn it on its side and bring it in that way. With the tank being 36 1/2'' wide and the door jam at 36'' with the doors off. There would be no way to get it through the door without turning it sideway. I'm also thinking about just getting a 3/4'' plywood and making a ramp from my door to the the steps and all we have to do is roll it into the house on PVC. That way the only lifting we will be doing is onto the stand.

Sarang, I could get you a cart to put it on. They are about 20"x28". 2 of them, 1 on each end would do it. They have 3" casters on them which allows them to roll over large cracks. They should be able to roll up onto the plywood if that's what you were gonna do. Just let me know when you plan on doing it if you want to use them.

what happened to your pants

Yeah your right it would be easier, remember what happened last time to my pants...don't want that to happen again!:D

why don't you let us all know what happened to your pants. hehehe. i know what happened ,but alot of people don't. let them all know. hahahaha

Sarang, I could get you a cart to put it on. They are about 20"x28". 2 of them, 1 on each end would do it. They have 3" casters on them which allows them to roll over large cracks. They should be able to roll up onto the plywood if that's what you were gonna do. Just let me know when you plan on doing it if you want to use them.

That would work out great!! Thanks I'll let everyone know a time on Saturday. It looks like it might take place in the morning since that is when most are available.

Thanks again, Sarang

Quick question should I run my chiller on a seperate pump or should I run it along with the main pump? What are the pros and cons between the 2? Also if I run with a different pump which partition should I pull the water from? Should I pull the water from the return partition and dump it back into the return or pull water from the partition before the return and dump it into the return partion?

why don't you let us all know what happened to your pants. hehehe. i know what happened ,but alot of people don't. let them all know. hahahaha

LOL that was funny. Jayson you should've saw your face:lol::lol:.

Thanks guys! I think most people can imagine what happened...bending down to lift a 270g tank can lead to serious problems...:lol:

Quick question should I run my chiller on a seperate pump or should I run it along with the main pump? What are the pros and cons between the 2? Also if I run with a different pump which partition should I pull the water from? Should I pull the water from the return partition and dump it back into the return or pull water from the partition before the return and dump it into the return partion?
I run mine separate due to convenience of maintanance. Plus, its easier to take the chiller off line in the very cold winter months.
I pull my water from the skimmer chamber near the overflow and return it into the same chamber near the baffles. If I return it into the return chamber very little water flows over/through the baffles. It just doesnt seem right with no water flowing over the last baffle. :confused:

I run mine separate due to convenience of maintanance. Plus, its easier to take the chiller off line in the very cold winter months.
I pull my water from the skimmer chamber near the overflow and return it into the same chamber near the baffles. If I return it into the return chamber very little water flows over/through the baffles. It just doesnt seem right with no water flowing over the last baffle. :confused:

Thanks Duane! I have 3 partitions. The 1st is 30''x18'' (skimmers) then overflows to the second chamber 32''x18'' (Live rock) then under 4'' partion and over to return 6''x18''. Do you think I can pull from the second chamber where it overflows from 1st chamber and dumb it at the end of the 2nd chamber under and over to the return?

Thanks

Back