Roscoe's 270g build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ahhhhhh man! tHAT SUCKS, I was sooo stoked following the buikd. Wish there was something i could do. Hang in there buddy.

hang in there,,get the new one replaced the old one,,you will up and running at no time ,,belived me i was there before and ready to throw the towel,,
do it man nothing to it,,,cheer

I was looking forward in seeing this thing my self. I guess I can look at it this way at least I'm all plimbed up to have a tank in the house or the garage. I'd rather have one in the house though lol but the stand I built in the garage can accomadate a nice size tank too.

all you need is the new tank ,,you 're already got everything else,got to do what the man got to do sometime,just do it man

Last edited:
hang in there,,get the new one replaced the old one,,you will up and running at no time ,,belived me i was there before and ready to throw the towel,,
do it man nothing to it,,,cheer

Man I wish it was just that easy to get a new tank! I have all my money in this build. The money I saved from getting a used tank. I was able to get some nice equipment for the this system. Now I have all this nice equipment and a cracked tank.:cry:

Hang in and keep checking the used stuff too. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but people are losing their jobs and are needing to cut back. A reef tank is one of the first things to go in this environment. You may still be able to find a screaming deal. We're all pulling for you man!

I dont beleive ther is any patching a crack in a tank this large. Especcially since it runs between the bulkheads.

Sorry to hear about this set back.
Dont scrap the idea, take a deep breath, recoup your emotions and look at it as a setback. You've gone too far to bag the idea. Your only missing the one component at this point.

What is everyone's opinion on me siliconing the cracks on top and bottom of glass. I think this will hold the water but would the tank give at some point? The stand has a solid top besides the holes for the OF. Is it worth the risk? Has anyone silicone a crack on the bottom of their tank with out any issues? Please any ideas and help will be very much appreciated! I'm so freaking upset and confused how this happened? Any how what do you guys think should I ditch the tank or would it possibly be OK? I'm very scared to see 270g of water on my floor one day.:cry:

Im sorry to hear about the crack. I have fixed a crack in a tank with good sucess. Just in case you decide to try it. Its in the back tho, of a 135 gallon tank. A few LFS's and a glass company suggested how to repair it. Its held for over five years now. Its freshwater tho and in the back.

I dont beleive ther is any patching a crack in a tank this large. Especcially since it runs between the bulkheads.

Sorry to hear about this set back.
Dont scrap the idea, take a deep breath, recoup your emotions and look at it as a setback. You've gone too far to bag the idea. Your only missing the one component at this point.

Yeah all I can do now is laugh at the situation with tears LOL. I don't have a plan B but it will give me some time to replan a new tank. It won't be until sometime next year to replace this tank. In the mean time if it can't be fixed by replaceing the bottom glass I might just find a 75g to play with since I have everything plumbed up for an aquarium.

shopping,,,you are pretty good on that ..what you think?

Yeah I can find some deals on tanks but I highly doubt I will find another with these dimensions. I had the stand and canopy custom built for this.

Im sorry to hear about the crack. I have fixed a crack in a tank with good sucess. Just in case you decide to try it. Its in the back tho, of a 135 gallon tank. A few LFS's and a glass company suggested how to repair it. Its held for over five years now. Its freshwater tho and in the back.

I hear ya. I heard of people sealing cracks in glass back up with success but the thought of 270g DT , 80g from the sump, 50g fuge and 30g frag= 430g of water on your house floor is very very scary and not to mention how scary a furious and irate fiance can get when she sees that lol.

I hear ya. I heard of people sealing cracks in glass back up with success but the thought of 270g DT , 80g from the sump, 50g fuge and 30g frag= 430g of water on your house floor is very very scary and not to mention how scary a furious and irate fiance can get when she sees that lol.

Yep, that's what I was thinking too.. its one thing in the back, where you can patch it with glass and silicone.. but another in the bottom.. Id be afraid too..

im really sorry to hear this roscoe esp after i was just there and saw what a beauty it was. But there will be deals out there you will find something soon. Just think though with all those tanks in the garage you can have some sick frag tanks :) just a thought just redo the plumping real quick haha.

I'm really sorry about your setback. Ultimately it's good you found it now and no matter how depressing it might be to replace the tank or the bottom of the tank, it wouldn't be as depressing as if it were fully stocked. In some way, you're really kind of lucky. I've mopped up 150 gallons of water and tried to save my livestock from a tank that gave out a seam. I wish I would've seen the warning signs!

Just out of curiousity, what is the footprint of this tank? How far off standard size is it?

Susie

Thanks for the call today Sarang, really really bummed for you bro! :( I almost dropped my phone when I heard the news. Like most are saying take a little time and save up for another tank. Like Susie said it's good now that you caught it instead of down the road w/ livestock in the tank. Like I told you I'm here to help...:)

ya it really sucks.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, BUT, if it was me, I wouldn't trust it..

Ask Chad what it's like to come home to a blown out tank.

i came home one day to find out that my 150 gallon tank blew out. that 150 gallons flooded my down stairs. what a pain in my a@#.

I'm betting that you could get a new panel pre-drilled in the right spots from a glass shop for the cheapest reliable fix. Try Deering glass in tacoma, i've talked to them before and they had pretty good prices and a good hourly shop rate as well.

Tom

deering glass

I'm betting that you could get a new panel pre-drilled in the right spots from a glass shop for the cheapest reliable fix. Try Deering glass in tacoma, i've talked to them before and they had pretty good prices and a good hourly shop rate as well.

Tom

i have been told deering glass is no longer there.

Back