Roscoe's 270g build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would say risky but if it's a 99.99% fix I say go for it!:)

Yeah it is still in the back of my mind that it is a little risky. The one thing that I might be worried about is that the front and side glass sits on top of the bottom. Would this force more pressure to the sides and front of the glass since this is sitting inside of the front and back wall?

Yeah it is still in the back of my mind that it is a little risky. The one thing that I might be worried about is that the front and side glass sits on top of the bottom. Would this force more pressure to the sides and front of the glass since this is sitting inside of the front and back wall?

If I'm understanding you correct, I can tell you that on most tanks, the bottom glass is raised up from the bottom of the sidewalls. Meaning it is inside of the sides. I don't see why you would have any issue.

As far as the silicone, go to petco and buy the same silicone AGA uses. It's like $9 a tube, but I'm sure 2 would do it. As far as I know, it's the same silicone they use on their tanks.

Last edited:
That's the stuff I'm talking about. A place for pets in Burien sells them in large tubes like that. I think they're 19.95 or so. I don't think you'd need a couple tubes of that size though. 1 of those should do it or a couple of the smaller tubes.

Realistically you'd be better off picking up a couple tubes of these on ebay. All Glass Silicone

Thanks for the link on that Chad! Here is my new plan. So I'm thinking about taking the OFB out put a completly new 3/8'' thick glass sheet over the bottom glass and seal it up. I already have a 1 1/2'' hole on the side of the tank towards the side wall. I can use that as my drain line and build a corner OF or C2COF box along the left end of the tank. My return line will come up and over the back of the tank which I left 6'' of space back there so this will work out perfect and since I already drilled holes on top of the glass brace to accomodate 3/4'' BH I can just install the return through those holes. Since it is on the side towards the wall. I think I can do all this without having to move the tank either. The plumbing wouldn't show much or at all depending where you are standing. I think I might be able to save this project. What do you guys think of the new plan? I don't have to drill any holes so I thinkI'm safe from anymore cracks.

Yeah I'm getting rid of the corner OF box and putting a coast to coast OF since I already have a 1 1/2'' hole on the side of the tank that I can use as the drain.

Yeah I'm getting rid of the corner OF box and putting a coast to coast OF since I already have a 1 1/2'' hole on the side of the tank that I can use as the drain.

Perfect plan. Agree with both silicone suggestions and also agree that having the glass bottom inside the sides is zero problem. Looks like you are "good to go"

Ahhh I got the bulkheads out easier than I thought with all that silicone LOL. I think this will work out with another 3/8'' thick sheet over the old bottom. The cracks don't look too bad.

Really sorry to read about this Sarang... Sounds like you have a good plan in place... If you need some muscle at some point, don't hesitate to ask, I as well as others will be available.;)

Really sorry to read about this Sarang... Sounds like you have a good plan in place... If you need some muscle at some point, don't hesitate to ask, I as well as others will be available.;)

Thanks Mark for the support Mark. I think this will work out. That hole on the side at 1st I wished it was never there. Now I am very thankfull that it is there! I will clean this tank out real good and get the inside dimensions and order the glass by next week. How much smaller should I make the new glass sheet 1/16'' or 1/8'' smaller so it would fit without too much trouble. I first got to see if I can get a 3' wide glass into the tank with the back and front brace which is 6 1/2'' wide themselves leaving me with only 23'' of open space to angle the glass in. If the one piece won't fit would the same sheet of glass cut into half the long way would that two piece of glass be good too?

I wouldn't cut the glass in half. Basically what you're doing is putting in a new bottom without pulling out the old bottom. Get a half sheet of 3/8" plywood and cut it to the depth of the sheet of glass you plan on putting in there and see if it will work.

Cutting it to 1/16" shorter would be what I'd do. You want the edges as close as possible to the sides. When a tank is made, the edges are touching, they aren't floating with silicone in between them. You won't be able to get them to touch, but it should be as close as possible. My .02

Thanks Mark for the support Mark. I think this will work out. That hole on the side at 1st I wished it was never there. Now I am very thankfull that it is there! I will clean this tank out real good and get the inside dimensions and order the glass by next week. How much smaller should I make the new glass sheet 1/16'' or 1/8'' smaller so it would fit without too much trouble. I first got to see if I can get a 3' wide glass into the tank with the back and front brace which is 6 1/2'' wide themselves leaving me with only 23'' of open space to angle the glass in. If the one piece won't fit would the same sheet of glass cut into half the long way would that two piece of glass be good too?

Do not go with two parts, go one piece and get handles for lowering it.

Since a small slop factor is often required, 1/8 would be my vote due to irregularities and imperfections. Would be a shame to have it not fit in one corner or one spot. Be sure to put a bead of cement all around the crack, this will help weld it together such as with a splice and prevent it from growing..

Do not go with two parts, go one piece and get handles for lowering it.

Since a small slop factor is often required, 1/8 would be my vote due to irregularities and imperfections. Would be a shame to have it not fit in one corner or one spot. Be sure to put a bead of cement all around the crack, this will help weld it together such as with a splice and prevent it from growing..

What type of cement?

Last edited:
Back