Roscoe's 270g build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL I wanted folks to give me some feed back on this:lol:.

OK as some of you already know the plan for this tank was to have a shallow beach front and side with the middle half of the tank BB. What I came up with was to build a 1 1/2'' wall using eeg crate, crussh coral, gorilla glue for ceramic, and black foam GreatStuff used for ponds and such. Here are some pics. Tell me what you guys think of the idea.

Well start with pics of the supply for the project.

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

Here are the walls set up with crush coral to show the beach area.

IMG_4461.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

Got bored so I worked on the rock. There is about 200lbs maybe less of rock. I really like the rock work. I hope I can get it in the tank looking like this but we all know how that goes.:D

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

If you want the rocks to be that way in the tank, why don't you put the rocks together with some foam. Not all of it,just pieces of it. With the foam wall. I would try a foam lip at the bottom after you put it the tank so that way the sand can't go though the bottom of it. and the wall will be stuck so it can't move
Just trying to help:)

I trimmed the bottom of the foam as flas I can. I think after setting the rocks on top of them the pressure of the rock should fill in the small cracks. Oh yeah it's too late for me to put any foam on the rocks. I already took it apart.

Definately the barracuda. Its less expensive, draws fewer watts and give you more flow at 10 feet of head.

great point Duane!! I didn't even look at the wattage difference! I was just comparing head pressure. Now that I think about it I don't beleive I will have more than 10ft head and in worse case maybe 12ft. I would be saving 50-100watts with the Barracuda vrs the Marlin up to about 16ft head. Hmmmm.... Thank s for your insight Duane! Greatly appreciate it.:)

Hey, Sarang.
Great to see thing's going well with the 270g project, Buddy. Must come to see it when it's up and running.

Bump! How are things lining up? Did you get the stand and canopy today?:)

Things are going great!! I just got my stand and canopy today and I will be staining it sometime this week. I have to say Mike did a great job on this piece of furniture!! Thanks again Mike. So now I have to wait for the support brackets welded for the canopy and once that is here I will rhino coat it and paint it the same color as my wall so it will somewhat blend into the wall. So that way it will look like the canopy is free floating over the tank. Jayson you are welcome to come check out the progress anytime.

Things are going great!! I just got my stand and canopy today and I will be staining it sometime this week. I have to say Mike did a great job on this piece of furniture!! Thanks again Mike. So now I have to wait for the support brackets welded for the canopy and once that is here I will rhino coat it and paint it the same color as my wall so it will somewhat blend into the wall. So that way it will look like the canopy is free floating over the tank. Jayson you are welcome to come check out the progress anytime.

Cool getting closer now!!! I'll be over later in the week for sure. Might still need those holes drilled as well...:lol:

WoW! A guy takes a few days away from RF and this happens! Nice stand, I like the scaping that you are setting up. The only comment I have is , the rock set up in the right in the front, maybe too close to the glass when it comes to cleaning time. Project coming along real nice! I'm jealous. :lol::)

Yes sir. It is getting closer. I just got to put on the over flow in the tank, stain the stand and canopy and do the plimbing. The aquascaping with the rock work will be at least 4'' from the glass all around the tank. We'll see how the rock work goes inside.

Yes sir. It is getting closer. I just got to put on the over flow in the tank, stain the stand and canopy and do the plimbing. The aquascaping with the rock work will be at least 4'' from the glass all around the tank. We'll see how the rock work goes inside.

I would give it a litle more than 4" from the glass. I got hard time to clean the glass since my corals grow out...

Back