Scooties Project "X"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Sump In place

Ok here is a few shots of the sump in place, not the prettiest thing but it will work.:evil:
Look at the third pic. compare the little 4200 series pump to the Wahoo pump LOL!

Hey Ron don't sweat it man your a big help already, the baffles are so close together you can't put your hand between them, well not mine anyways 2" apart. I did use tape on part I could get to but with a big caulk gun, there just isn't enough room unless I'd tear the sides out. I like the true-unions Krish, neat valves, we'll see how they hold up to the pressure :D

Well, thats why you put calk in before you put the glass there. Thats whay the tape it there too. So you know where to add the calk :)

Hey man, hind sight is 20/20 :) Wish I could have gotten here sooner.

First Flow!

Well Last night around 9pm I turned on both pumps to see how the flow would work. The lower pump overfilled the tank some while I was trying to figure out why the water wasn't draining into the sump, no problems lots of towels & one mad wife later I got it flowing & rather nicely. I need to work on the drain some more adjust the plumbing & work on the air intake so I can quieten it down. The first initial test went well with the exception of the water LOL, I hope by the weekend to have it running quite, then I'll let it run a few days to make sure it is water tight. I'm very pleased with the performance of the two sequence pumps, extremely quite at least as quite if not more than most submersibles. The CL with the 1/2" Loc-lines & Y's on top really work well, I have great flow throughout the entire tank If I'm lucky I might get the MBV on a timer this weekend also then it will really be kicking. :cool:

Sounds great Scooty!! You're almost there!!!:D I threaded in an elbow into the bulkhead for overflow which quieted down my overflow a lot to only a slight gurgle and then I put a "slip" strainer into it and now you can't hear it. In the beginning, I still heard some noise, but as the plumbing slimed up, it got quieter to the point where I can't hear it anymore. So, you may not get yours completely quiet in the beginning, but as it slimes up, it will get better some:)

Scooterman said:
Well Last night around 9pm I turned on both pumps to see how the flow would work. The lower pump overfilled the tank some while I was trying to figure out why the water wasn't draining into the sump, no problems lots of towels & one mad wife later I got it flowing & rather nicely. I need to work on the drain some more adjust the plumbing & work on the air intake so I can quieten it down. The first initial test went well with the exception of the water LOL, I hope by the weekend to have it running quite, then I'll let it run a few days to make sure it is water tight. I'm very pleased with the performance of the two sequence pumps, extremely quite at least as quite if not more than most submersibles. The CL with the 1/2" Loc-lines & Y's on top really work well, I have great flow throughout the entire tank If I'm lucky I might get the MBV on a timer this weekend also then it will really be kicking. :cool:

Cool!!!!:D :D :D

View attachment 12946

here is the problem with your drain! I thought I sent you a 't' to go on the back there where it comes thru the bulkhead. There needs to be a 't' and a standpipe going up above the water line with a cap on it, and a 1/4" hole drilled in the cap. Once you do that your drain will be silent and it will keep up with your pump no problem.

Yes Tom I forgot to put a TEE there, I ended up replacing the inner elbow, I cut another elbow with more threads & used Teflon tape with about 5 rounds & was able to screw it in all the way giving me more room inside the overflow box. I have a Tee with a cap for up top, I just need to install it, I totally forgot about it needing air until after I glued it. Question on the top part of the Tee, should I up-size from 1 1/2" to 2" then put a 2" cap & drill a hole there or just go up above the water line with 1 1/2" & cap it or should I make a stand pipe like a stockman or something else?

Ya all you need is the 1.5" standpipe, adding a 2" one would not make any difference. I would personally put about a 6" standpipe rise then the cap with the 1/4" hole in it. It should flow over 1500 gph or so.

Scooterman,

I can't wait to see that thing all finished! It looks really good so far. Keep posting pics of your progress.

Nick

Looks like I have a little more pump than the drain can handle, I'm going to try running the by-pass later & see how it goes, I have the stand pipe in place & it is working fine, the Wahoo pump is 1550 gph & I'm sure it can't drain quick enough with just one 1 1/2" drain, other than that it is running circulation is nice, I may decide to either sell this pump or see if I can return it for the next size smaller.

I agree with Charlie...You could just recirculate it in your sump like he said or maybe use the excess flow to run something like a media reactor, re-circulate through a chiller (if it's enough flow) etc.:)

Yea I think it'll be ok, I need to use it for the skimmer also so with that & I'll add a second diverter 3/4" this time back into the sump.

Problem solved! Your tank is gonna rock!! Once I get this other pump next week, I'll have the mini version of your tank:p

Well I ran a 1/2" line back into the sump, wide open I could keep the main line about half way open, not close to full open, I thing If I do add another line it still won't be enough LOL It may be a waste of energy back feeding that much water into the sump, I know you want a little room extra but I may swap it out with the 1,450gph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back