Show your filtration Systems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sorry Krish I had to go back and look, didn't do it on purpose, just missed it. There are 2 different pieces. I had the sump made as big as I could and get it in, and made the fuge as big as I could and still get my reactor in.

Last edited:
Here it is again Ken. It was posted right before the last pictures were added by sharks. I figured you must have been mad about the "Whatever dood" thread.

Ken, I was looking at the picture of your sump again and was wondering if it is all one piece? Your input looks like it is on the right side (looking at the picture) but your water level is extremely high on the left side with the rocks. I'm trying to understand how it works.

Actually the input drain is the 2 large pipes on the right with the socks, and the out of the sump feeds an iwaki pump that is behind the fuge. The fuge gets its feed from a tee in the drain that goes to the pipe you see in the fuge and drains out the 2 pipes gonig into the sump. I can keep my flow in the fuge to a minimum that way. The reactor output goes into the fuge as well so the macro will get any residual co2 first.

Excellent topic Krish, I hope more people post their pic’s on here. It’s great to see all the different ways people set up their systems.

Hey Gabriela, I’m putting a picture of mine on here first so everyone can wear themselves out laughing at mine so it won’t be so hard on you when you get around to putting yours on. lol
Sump_Nightmare.jpg

It’s just a ten gallon sump with a local made skimmer shoe-horned into it. The bio tower on the left is empty but I still use the drip tray to lay filter floss on it when I’m cleaning the tank glass, blowing off the rocks etc. etc. The white thing in the front is an 8 watt uv. I’ve done some modifications to the skimmer thanks to Mojo’s “skimming 101” thread. Now the water coming from my surface skimming siphon overflow is being tee’ed before the protein skimmer to reduce the amount of water flowing through the protein skimmer itself (not shown in this old picture).

All of this going on underneath a 40 gallon tank:
Oct_04.jpg

Hey Kensn, if it’s not too much trouble could you maybe draw up some kind of sketch on how you made those holders for your filter socks? That is so cool!

I’m still in the planning stages for a bigger sump and bigger-better skimmer as well so seeing all these setup’s is really giving me some good ideas. Keep em coming!

They aren't holders, they are just 1.5" pvc pipe and the socks have a plastic piece in them that help keep them up on the pipe.

Kensn said:
They aren't holders, they are just 1.5" pvc pipe and the socks have a plastic piece in them that help keep them up on the pipe.
Is it something you made or is it something you can buy?
Sorry... Still clueless here. lol

It is just plain ol pvc piping. The socks I got from www.filterbag.com . The socks have a plasitc tab inside that help it stay up on the pvc pipe. I'll go get a pic for you. hold on. Ok here ya go.

Last edited:
Well here is the filteration on my 10gallon hex nano system. I chose to use my old CPR Bak Pak 2 skimmer/filter combo to run on this sucker.

Ahhh... I see. I just didn’t search around long enough on there, thanks again Ken! :D

No problem, they are real resonably priced, and you only have to order 10. Shipping wasn't calculated at checkout if I remember right but is was low also, I would recommend them.

Haole, wouu dood that still looks awesome!!
mine its just too simple and it doesn't look kewl :(.
I told my husband to bring the laptop again so i can take the pictures and put them in here heheh.

Haole, how'd you pack all of that in that sump! (LOL) Nice setup though. I've been doing a few little adjustments with my filtration setup and hopefully I can get around to finishing it tomorrow. It's been hectic here for me and I just stop in when I get a few seconds to post and then it's off again for me. Hopefully after work tomorrow I can take a few pics of what I did.

Peterock, thanks for posting! I think that is the first hex set up I've seen. I love diversity! Good job.

Peterock - thanks for posting your photos! We can't forget the hang-on filtrations!

You mean you want pics of my hang on system lol. I'm a little embaraced to show it lol. But it will contain a rare pic of a Seaclone working well hahaha.

Back