Some Plumbing for Nikki

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scott, I thought of having a Y from the pump up to the ball valve. One branch goes to the ball valve, and the other is closed and capped. This would be where the water would go (not sure if this is correct or would even work, and maybe Mike will give his input). Good question!

OK....this is why plumbing is not my forte. I'm looking at pics of other tanks - and don't see what I pictured in my head. Guess I should check with my other half, and see what the plan is. Sometimes I speak before I think. A result of talking too much :D

Nikki,
Plumbing is definately not my strong suit either.....lol. Most of my experience comes from the annual Thanksgiving dismantaling of the garbage disposal. Seems every year someone puts too many potatoe peels in, and the sink gets that backed up feeling:oops: . Needless to say it's always fun to clean out with a house full of folks........lol.
I'd like to build a reasonable facsimile of your closed loop on my tank. Just trying to figure out the pump priming. Hope your install is going well.:D ..........Scott

Most of my experience comes from the annual Thanksgiving dismantaling of the garbage disposal. Seems every year someone puts too many potatoe peels in, and the sink gets that backed up feeling . Needless to say it's always fun to clean out with a house full of folks........lol.

ROFL! Could be worse....my plumbing experience comes from my daughter tossing toys into the toilet, which I had to get out in order to stop the crying. That was a fun experience I don't care to relive :D

OK guys - the bulkheads were installed last night, and durso standpipes made.

The standpipes were made to be ~2 1/2 inches below the water surface. So the measurement is taken from the base of the overflow teeth.

Here is the website with the design for those that need it Durso Standpipes

I do have some loc line questions. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should place them? I have plenty of loc line available, and they are in 6" segments. Should I use them all at 6", or should I shorten a couple, lengthen some? I also have "Y" adapters that I can utilize as well. Any input would be a help....I'm going to be working on them tomorrow. Thanks!

Hey Nikki,
What size bulkheads and pipe did ya use for the Stockmans? What is your return pump rated at head height?
Wanted to know if you sized the drain so all flow can run through either drain in case of blockage? Seems to be a debate on quiet -vs- being able to handle blockage. Making sense?
Thanks, Scott:cool:

Nikki.. I have some questions I wish I didn't have to ask (newbieitis..)

What diameter is the plumbing on the outputs? I saw that you will be using 3/4" LocLines inside but are the rest of the pipes 1" reduced just at the bulkhead? What size bulkheads are being used?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out the pipe/fitting sizes used to maximize the flow..

What size bulkheads and pipe did ya use for the Stockmans?

The bulkheads are 1-1/2", and the standpipe is 1-1/4" (Durso standpipe)

What is your return pump rated at head height?

Without consulting the resident engineer, I am going to answer this...lol
The return pump is a Mag 12 - so 1200 gph (and the box says max head is 15 feet) - I think that means 1200 gph at 15' = my pump will return 1200 gph ??? (I wish the mouse in my brain would speed up on the wheel :D )

Wanted to know if you sized the drain so all flow can run through either drain in case of blockage?

The short answer is - Yes? lol - When I fill the tank with water to check the plumbing, we are going to play around with the valves to test it out....for all situations. The plumbing going to the sump is going to have to be dialed back anyway, to accomodate the fact that the return pump is a 3/4" output.

What diameter is the plumbing on the outputs?

3/4"

the rest of the pipes 1" reduced just at the bulkhead? What size bulkheads are being used?

On the closed loop, the pipes are 1-1/2" reduced at the bulkhead, which is a 3/4" bulkhead. The closed loop pump is an Ampmaster 3000

Hey, it almost sounds like I'm getting the hang of this plumbing stuff :D

di'nt take the time to look here but on Reef Centrals home page you can go to the head loss calculator and figure out what your pump will do. It's pretty cool just enter vertical rise and horizontal run plus pipe dia. and any elbows and so forth and it does all the calculations. i think it's a very helpful tool and would be a great addition to this site. if I did'nt overlook it.
See Ya,
Chad

NaH2O said:
The bulkheads are 1-1/2", and the standpipe is 1-1/4" (Durso standpipe)
So if I understasnd, You are reducing size from the 1 1/2" BH to the 1 1/4" stockman standpipe? My understanding of the stockman was that you reduce at the BH to allow the standpipe to fill completely to keep the sump return line full to reduce noise.

Without consulting the resident engineer, I am going to answer this...lol
The return pump is a Mag 12 - so 1200 gph (and the box says max head is 15 feet) - I think that means 1200 gph at 15' = my pump will return 1200 gph ??? (I wish the mouse in my brain would speed up on the wheel :D )

I believe the mag 12 is rated 1200 gal/ hr @0 feet. I'm not sure what height your return goes back into the tank.........mabye 4 feet? Might cut the flow to between 900 to 1000 gal/hr? Just trying to size my own plumbing as my return will be just over 1000 gal hr @ 4'. Definately keep us posted as to how the plumbing tests go. :D
Thanks, Scott

Thanks Chad! Yeah, we have links to calculators on this site in the Resource Library. Here is the link to the Reef Calculators section of the library.

I'm plumbing challenged....that's obvious by my ignorance on figuring out my flow from the return pump. I'll have to plug the numbers in the calculator and see what I come up with, but I guess I'll have to consult the engineer on how many elbows and length of pipe, etc. At least he'll get a good laugh when I explain how I answered the question. :D

NaH2O said:

the out put of a mag12 is 1200gph @ 0 feet of head, 15 feet is it max hight befor it will not pump so you will only get a trickel at 15 feet.

here are a couple numbers from there package
Flow Rate at 0' Head: 1200 GPH
Flow Rate at 4' Head: 1100 GPH
Flow Rate at 6' Head: 950 GPH

Steve

Oh Steve...you're awesome! You know.....I caught a lot of flack at home for my comment on the pump gph. It all makes sense now, but I'm so equipment challenged. I'll get there some day :)

Well, I installed my locline today. The good news is....I'm great at working with locline now - it took some practice and a couple of bad words, but I did it! Anyway, here is a picture of my locline in the tank. I tried to keep in mind that each half (right and left) of the tank will be alternating from the motorized ball valve. The bottom holes I'm trying to treat how a spray bar would function. I alternated length, height, and direction slightly....we'll see how it works when there is water and rock. The ones up top - I made the middle two shorter in length than the outside. I thought this might work better with how I picture my aquascaping. Again....this may completely change once there is rock in the tank. It may not be pretty, but I think it will work well.

Here is another shot of just the bottom half:

hey nikki that looks great, awesome job on the plumbing mike. whats the ballpark on a MBV?? ($)

strat

:lol: mike you took the words right out of my mouth, nikki when you start aquascaping you will see what we are talkin about. nuff said:rolleyes:

I thought they were short....only 3 and 4 segments - I busted my hands up working with them. OK, OK ....I'll take them apart tomorrow. :( Thanks for the constructive criticism

Back