Steven's Mixed Reef! (lots of pics)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

They are the 12k.

Thanks Dang! I am about ready for a piece of the TT....:D
But then again, I am not sure if it would survive as i am red bug free!;)
Hows everything going on your end?

So i have had some fish troubles as of late. My male true perc died on me for no reason. Him and my petco special osc. perc were breeding. they laid about three sets of eggs back to back. One morning i woke up to see him beat up and breathing fast. I also notice that the eggs must have hatched. Soon after, he died. Just before that, i got another true perc from Brett. I took him (or it) out of my xenia tank and put him in the display. The female and him went back and forth for a while but no harm done. Just yestarday, i had to pull him out and put him back in the xenia tank because he was getting a real beating. This is after he had been in the tank for almost three weeks. So i am not sure what i am going to do for a pair of clowns in the display tank. Any ideas?
On a good note, the Christmas fish that i got, a copper band butterfly, is eating and doing well thanks to Tracy. He started out only eating the little feather duster infestation that i got from Tracy(a blessing in disquise i guess). He is now eating mysis and brine along with what ever he is finding in the reef.
In the last couple of weeks, i also added three 4 foot actinic VHO's. These are in addition to the two 12k 250w mh's. It looks worlds different and in a good way. I will try to post an updated pic tonight.

I have a bunch more (feather duster) if you want them. I have a baffle full of them. Beats sponges and some rocks you can clean up for me PLEASE.

Here are some updates pics and a growth shot of my green birds nest. The first one was taken 12/9/07.
DSC_0025.jpg

Here are some from today.
IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1570-1.jpg

:shock:

Wow, I am way late to this thread, the tank is amazing.

Curious about the equipment used (sump size, skimmer, reactors, etc) and the week to week chores. Is there another thread with all the details? If not, do share!

Best wishes,

Chris

Thanks for the comments everyone!

As for tank specs:
-the tank is a standard 75g with a corner over flow.
-sump is 4'x1'x1' split into four chambers. First chamber is where the overflow dumps into the sump and where the mesh modded octopus 110 skimmer is located. Second chamber is a xenia fuge(pom pom and silver tip). Third chamber is a cheato and mexicana fuge. The fourth chamber is for my mag 9.5 return pump.
-I also have two K3 powerheads to aid the return pump for flow.
-I run carbon all the time and I also run a small calcuim reactor.
-As for lighting, i have 2x250w MH's(Icecap ballast with 12K reeflux bulbs in spider reflectors) and 3-4' actinic VHO's running on an icecap 660(theses really brought out the colors). My xenia and macros have 2-65w pc's running above them.

The tank is what i would consider "low maintance" for a reef tank. I top 5 gallons every three days and do a 15 gallon water change every two to three weeks. I am part of a small group called the "NTA" and i catch some stuff for it but i figure if its not broke, dont fix it.

NTA=Never Test Anything

I just picked up a 40 breeder for something else to build and tinker with. Anyone have any ideas for it?

Back