Swifty's 265 gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just got back from Kevin's with the plumbing. Time to start putting it together. Little did I know that if you buy a 1 1/2" hole saw for my drill that it only gives me room for 1" bulkheads. :( Oh well Kevin walked me thru it and assured me that it's going to be okay and hooked me up with what I needed! Isn't that what a good dealer is for?!

Well apparently 1 1/2" hole saw makes 3/4" holes and so luckily I kept the 1 1/2 bulkheads from Barbie and from Kevin. Kevin let me borrow a hole saw that makes true 1 1/2 holes that will fit the 1 1/2" bulkheads in. They were going to be just for my intake for the pump but now they will be for the outlets as well! Fun times once again! Got half way thru recutting the holes and my drill battery died. So now I have to let it charge up again. Next on my list of things to buy is a new freakin drill!

Boom....That is all I can say....a bucket of sand slipped out of my hands while pouring it in and boom....3 Giant cracks in the bottom of the tank.

Thanks everyone! I went to a guy here that has been building tanks for 25 years and he hooked me up with this patch "kit". So I am going to give that a shot and see how it goes. I'll keep ya posted for sure!

OMG. I am so sorry. =*( I would be so pissed. Let me know if you need any help. I don't know what I could do, but I would be willing.

LOL...Thanks Gina! I appreciate it!

No problem at all. I am serious though. I am leaving tomorrow and will be back tomorrow evening. Then I will be leaving on Saturday for Richland and will be back Sunday morning. Just let me know. I hope that kit works. There is someone in Spokane that builds acrylic tanks???

Well I would blame the jack ass who filled the buckets all the way full. Oh that was me sorry to hear about your minor setback. Hope you can get it fixed ASAP and keep moving forward.

LOL...No no one to blame but my butter fingers! I have it setting tonight so we will see tomorrow morning when I fill it up part way to see if it leaks or not. Hopefully it works though! :) Thanks again everyone! This reminds me of group therapy in a way! hahaha damn AA meetings! jk....

Thanks Jake. I already put the patch kit on yesterday so now I just need to cross my fingers and test it out today and see if it worked! I'll post some before and after pics later on. Good news is my Marco Rocks shipment came in yesterday! They all look great in their boxes! Now just to figure out where to put them....

Last edited:
Well the patch didn't work. My return pump that got from someone on here doesn't work. The other pump for my back up didn't work and when it finally started working it started squeeling like crazy. So I guess this just means it isn't meant to be. I dont know if I will start up another tank or not. I'll keep you posted.

yeah tell me about it! I just don't know if I have the energy to go thru it all again...Not to mention the money.

Before the patch..
4819344831_a6912d7826.jpg

after the patch...
4822574272_38b5877d29.jpg

It's 27" tip to tip running along the seam of the overflow.

=*( I thought I only had that kind of luck. I am so sorry to hear that. Can you patch it on both sides? Did you use Weldon? We have some here you can use if you want. Do you know how much a piece of acrylic is for the bottom of the tank? An entire piece? Are you going to run an internal pump or external pump? I have a quiet one 3000 you can use when I take my tank down if you are going internal. That really sucks.

Yeah I used weldon 3 to patch and to seal the crack. Didnt seem to work though...Thank you for the offer. I am talking with Jason @ CFI to see the best plan of action. I was told that I could probably get a piece of acrylic for about $50. I dont know if that is true though. I will just have to look around and talk to the guy here in town also. I talked to the guy about the pump also and he said to check the impeller to make sure there is nothing blocking it. Thank you for the offer with the pump. I think I have a little while until I can put more water in the tank though. :) I think I will try to fix the other one in the mean time so it wasnt just a waste of money.

Back