tangs....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

balogh03

In the last week or so i have noticed that there have been a couple of people that either didnt know how to take care of them or put them in too small of a tank. So i just thought that since tangs are such a popular fish in reef tanks, there could be a good reference for newbies that would enjoy them in there new tank. You can post anything thoughts that you think would be helpful information or pictures. I will kick it off with my tangs:

View attachment 17897
sailfin tang (zebrasoma veliferum)
maximum length 15.7"
minimum tank size 135gal
personal notes: i had no problem with it and was not affected with newly introduced tang.

View attachment 17898
yellow tang (zebrasoma flavescens)
maximum length 7.9"
minimum tank size 75gal
personal notes: no problems with the fish, loves algae.

(length and minimum tank info provided by marine fishes by "scott w. michael")

-augustus

oooohhh, i like this thread!!! ok, i will start by saying that some tangs cannot be kept together...tank size and temperment play a big part in this...alot of times, tangs of the same species are aggressive to each other, although in larger systems , they can live together peacefully...tangs also are voracious eaters...they should be given seaweed as their primary food, supplemented with vitamins and amino's to prevent HLLE...if you are planning to purchase a tang, be ready to treat for "marine ich"...always qt anything going into your tank!!! here are a few pics of my tangs..i have 3 blue regal tangs, one yellowbelly regal, and one powder brown tang...

nice, I will like to add that the blue regal tangs can be kept in small schools like mine do, I have four and all that you have to do is add them at the same time while they are small!, mine have no problem and dont fight with the other tangs in the tank!!!

it's the larger hippo in my 3rd pic..it's hard to tell, but that's it....the fish is about 5-6".i will try to get a better pic of him tomorrow..if you want to se a pic of him while he was really sick, click on the link to my webpage and scroll down to the bottom..you can really see the yellow on his belly in thatr pic

Last edited:
Here are some pics I have posted earlier on RF.
Regal Tang
attachment.php

Convict Tang. up to 8" Easy going fish. Can be kept in schools. Min tank size around 75 gal
attachment.php

Blonde Naso up to 18" They can be aggressive but mine never bothered anyone.
attachment.php

Purple tang. up to 10" min tank size around 100 gal. One of the more aggressive tangs but mine learned he was the runt of the group so his aggresiveness did not last long.
attachment.php

Yellow tang
attachment.php

Sohal tang. up tp 16". Very aggresive and needs a lot of room. Min tank around 200 gal
attachment.php

right on guys keep them coming!

Nice tangs by the way! I you can put a school of like 35 tangs in a 240 right??jk
-augustus

you can put a school of like 35 tangs in a 240 right??jk
i can assure you that if it could be done, you better believe that i would have done it!!!!!!

here is our Sailfin tang and Naso tang.

Copy2of100_63002.jpg

Copy10of100_63002.jpg

The difference between mine and Brendons tang is mine is just a Naso Tang, not a blonde tang. (mines smarter)

Last edited:
Mine's a yellow. It is the biggest camera hog ever!!!! I can't even try to look at something in the tank without it hovering right in front of my eyes LOL! Nosy little thing and a great personality, had him about a year!

Back