Tank build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tundra

hey everyone, i've been lurking around for awhile & thought it was about time i showed my build. First a little info, the tank is a 135g Oceanic with a single corner overflow with 3 additional holes in the bottom of the tank for a closed loop. I also have a 55g glass tank for a sump & a 13g acrylic fuge.

The pics should be able to tell the rest of the story

And it begins
wall1.JPG

walla.JPG

wallc.JPG

wall3.JPG

i went to a glass shop & had 1/4 glass cut to make baffles for the sump

baffles1.JPG

then i had to put a bulkhead into the fuge so it can drain into the center section of the sump

fuge1.JPG

it will look like this once its set up

DSCN0808.JPG

I purchased my pumps from Marine Depot so i could get ready to start on the plumbing, the Snapper will be the closed loop pump & the Mag 9, the return

new_pumps.jpg

Since all the holes in my tank were for 3/4" bulkheads, i had to redrill the to fit 1 1/2" bulkheads. this way i can get the full benefit of both pumps & have room to upgrade of the return if needed. only 2 of the 3 hole outside the overflow were drilled, the other will be capped off.

holedrilling.JPG

Looking good! Congrats on the build & Welcome to RF!

If you don't mind, I'll move this thread to the Showcase thread, so we can keep track of your build!

Don't know what happened, before I moved the thread, the pics went blank. Sorry If I messed it up though.

thanks for the help. ok guys/gals i need feedback, lets hear it

After looking at your Pics, I think maybe you should be giving us feedback LOL, I see some neat ideas there! Only thing I'd do Is utilize that last hole, somehow I think you will need it! :)

i'm thinking i would put a bulkhead in the hole with a gate/ball valve so when i need it, i have it. with it being at the bottom of the tank limits the use of it, any ideas on what to use it for?

i will be using a type of automatic water change system, i'm thinking of, 2 PHs, one to send water from the R/O resevoir into the system & one from the system to the drain that leads outside. both will be on the same timer to work in sequence. if i dont use the powerheads, i'm thinking of using Aqualifters.

Lets get yall suggestions or opinions!

Not only is a ball valve a good idea but also install a union for an easy disconnect. They also make double union ball valves for this purpose. I try to have a union on everything for the just in case situations we all encounter in this hobby.

i removed the blue acrylic from inside the tank including the overflow box & painted the back/side walls black. i also have black acrylic that i will be making an overflow box out of. the overflow will be in the left hand corner & will be 7x10", there will be a 3x3" bridge from the top of the overflow to the front of the tank, this will give more skimmer surface area.

i finished the new overflow & bridge yesterday, i'm giving the Weld-on 48 hours before attempting to work with it. to make the teeth i bought a router bit thinking it would be the best choice but i ended up using my table saw with a standard wood blade, it made the job a lot easier.

this is the main overflow, i cut a corner out so the bridge would drain into it.
new_overflow.JPG

this is the bridge, i broke a tooth by mistake but i'm using it anyway.
new_overflow2.JPG

well i dry fitted the overflows today, tomorrow i will silicone them in place & probably order my sand & RO unit

Back