The Class Act Aquarium Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking good Alex!

You may want to recess that piano hinge so the canopy sits flush when closed. That will put less stress on the hinge over time.

Other then that, great job!

Frankie

Hi Frankie, Is this what you're referring to when you mentioned recessed? Not sure but I think it is. Anyways I did mortise the hinge on both sides so to allow it to sit flush when the lid is closed.

Cheers,
Alex

Mortisedhinge.jpg

Quick Shop Shots for August 12th 2011.

Finally made it out to look for a couple of boards for the trim work. Still may check a couple of other places for better matched boards. Pictures show a simple mock up of the trim. Of course the trim is not cut to size or the such yet. :D Still getting some ideas of where I might be able to cut these and match the grains for the mitered ends.

Still need to get the big heavy tank and canopy into the house and do some more measuring before cutting the trim to size. Of course this means dealing with the Spousal Unit once again with remarks such as how heavy the tank is and how large the canopy looks. *lol*

As y'all can see in these pictures, the idea I have is to bring the column look up from the stand and onto the canopy design. And I believe Peppie asked about a carving design for the front... The Spousal Unit was asking and I gave approval for a simple design of her choice (pending veto by builder). :rofl:

Cheers,
Alex

DSCN4259.jpg

DSCN4260.jpg

I really enjoy the trim phase of a project, The before and after are so different. It will also make or break the proportion, and over all look of the project. It will also tie in the dramatic lines of the piece. Take your time, no pressure. lol Measure twice cut once, or back to the lumber store.

Nice build! I have not read the full thread, so this may have already been suggested/answered: May I humbly suggest you remove the lights and fans, liberally coat the inside with white Marine epoxy, to gain whatever longevity possible? It's always a shame to see what humidity and salt can do to good wood.
Rgds,
D

THx peppie. Yes I too like the trim phase. And I do have to admit that I've had to make a run to the lumber store already because of one error. *lol* Measured the backside and cut just right, but then took it to the router for some final sizing and came up just a tad short. Arggghh. :D

THx Danno14. No worries on the marine coating. Plan is to use the same marine boat/yacht paint on the inside of the canopy as well as the topside. The reason for painting the inside a bright glossy white is not only to protect the wood, but also give the T5HO or LEDs something to bounce light off of. The backside will be painted black similar to the backside of the stand.

Cheers,
Alex

For those who missed it, here's a second look at the stand without doors mounted.

IMG_1013.jpg

Alex,
My wife seen your last pic of your stand, She fell in love with it, the color is right , the size is spot on and the design is timeless. She is very very picky.
You have done good !!!!!!

Might be more rework for me. THANKS lol

Ah! that was just a box without the skin yet. I see you did recess it also. Good deal. In that one picture it looked as if the front was not lined up straight.

Beautiful work!

Frank

Alex.
Everything OK ? no action in the shop?
I relie (sp) on you to get my wood fix during the week. lol

Yep, Not much happening in the shop this week. Slept in the toolbox for a little in the beginning of the week. :lol:

Sleepinginthetoolbox.jpg

Then I got serious and did some much needed shopping. Picked up some fiberglass filler (and way to much hardener THx Wesco A.B.), some sandpapers that I was running low on and finally found a couple of really nicely matched boards for the columns that will be built on the canopy. Of course that only took about 4 trips to the lumber stores. You can see the boards apart in the second photo and then matched together in the third photo. Oh and I fired the one I found sleeping on the job and hired a new helper. :lol:

Still need to order up some stainless srews, bolts and nuts for mounting the fans and lighting. That should be here later next week. And Shop Shots will continue next week. Hope to water test the tank again within the next week or so. Then off to plumbing and doors. Still thinking of raised panel doors and have an idea on how to make them without the router and a safe way on the tablesaw. We shall see. Stay tuned for more on that.

Cheers,
Alex

FiberglassFillers.jpg

Trimboardsmatchsetapart.jpg

TrimBoardsmatchset.jpg

DSCN4317.jpg

Last edited:
You would think by chance you could find a couple of sets of sequential cut boards from the same flitch at the lumber store . BUT NNNOOOOOOO. You have to do as you did. Make numerous trips to look thru stacks of hard to reach boards to find a close matching set. So accounting for your time wasted digging in lumber Was it a good deal? LOL

You have exultant helpers for your shop you should feel lucky. I know I would if I had four hands.

You would think by chance you could find a couple of sets of sequential cut boards from the same flitch at the lumber store . BUT NNNOOOOOOO. You have to do as you did. Make numerous trips to look thru stacks of hard to reach boards to find a close matching set. So accounting for your time wasted digging in lumber Was it a good deal? LOL

You have exultant helpers for your shop you should feel lucky. I know I would if I had four hands.

*lol* Yes Peppie, it was a great deal actually. I was able to find both the matching boards at the same store. Of course now I need to take back the so so boards that I had purchased before. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

Are you crazy!!!! You DONT return ANY wood. You never know when you need it. It WILL save you a trip in the near future.
Come on man you know better than that!!!!!

Yeah, I know, I know. No returns, but I have to return 2 of the 3 extra boards as two of the boards that will be returned are just subpar quality at best and I picked them up just to get something, you know, just incase I was unable to find anything that was worthy of this build. :lol:

I am glad that I found the two that I did. I'll be cutting them down to size this week while I finish up the fiberglass work.

Cheers,
Alex

Understood. Maybe you'll be able to trade them for a couple of outstanding ones.{ GOOD LUCK on that}

Any more thought about your nautical theme carving on the face?

Haven't given to much thought on a design for the front of the canopy. I do have a few ideas for artwork inside the stand though. Just need to get the paints/colors and blend themto my liking.

What happened to this build??? :lol:

Sorry folks, Had to spend some time with the family enjoying what little sunshine we had here in Seattle last month. Went to the fairs and did a few nice drives too. And last we had to enjoy the New Dick's Drive-In which is only a few minutes away from our house now. :D
Anyways, as Queen says in one of there songs... "The Show Must Go On!!!" and here we go.

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:
Got back to work on the Canopy build yesterday. Installed the column builds for canopy. These are not going to be quite as large or big as the stand columns, but just enough to give a nice finshed look to the canopy that should blend with the stand.

Here's a couple of shop shots from yesterday. Oh yes, never try and catch a falling router bit with you bare hands, it hurts like you know what. :D

Cheers,
Alex

First photo shows the leftside coulmn taking shape.
Second photo shows the rightside coulmn mock up before final glue up.
Third photo shows what happens when you try and catch a falling router bit. :lol: Ouch!!!

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0115-1.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

And here's a few shop shots for today. I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to make small columns up on the canopy. Here's a few shots showing how the column on the right side of the canopy is coming together with an inital test fitment.

Everything looks good in that corner and I was able to get the correct mitered cuts on the first try. Did I mention that little piece is TINY!!! :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

First photo shows the canopy before the upper trim fitment.
Second photo shows the three upper trim pieces mitered and ready for trial fitment.
Remaining photos show how the right inside corner comes together very nicely.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Looks great Alex.
How many tries did it take to get that tiny piece just the right length? I have to do it at least three times before I get it right.

I seem to always try to stop a falling tool with my foot before it hits the ground. Not so bad in my shop the floor is wood.

Back