The Class Act Aquarium Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi Nick,

Yeah I figured that photos would show better than I explained. I forgot to post those up before. Like they say a photo is worth a thousand words. :D

Oh and one of my favorite lagers is by Kona Brewing Co. too. It's called Longboard Island Lager, very tasty and I usually like the Red Hook Blonde and ESB.

I finally had an oportunity to test out using an iron and a damp cloth to work out a small dent in the wood on the left column. Works awesome. I'd always read and heard about professional woodworkers doing this and recently heard about it again on tthe woodsmith tv show.

If you look back at a few of the photos and see a small little black spot next to the left column (it's right next to the openinfg mid way up). Well that was a small dent on the corner of the wood that I mistakenly put there with my rubber mallet.

Here's a photo after it has been worked out and smoothed to 150 grit.

IMG_0776.jpg

I had an opportunity to see the stand/tank and it looks as nice as the pictures suggest. The workshop is also well put together and I hope to see more of his work (including the canopy) in the near future!

I had an opportunity to see the stand/tank and it looks as nice as the pictures suggest. The workshop is also well put together and I hope to see more of his work (including the canopy) in the near future!

It was great talking with you Paul. Glad that you enjoyed the tour and seeing the new stand in the final phase of the build. Looks forward to seeing you at some of the northend get togethers.

Cheers,
Alex

Dear Alex,

I am the one thanking you as I brought over a refractometer that I though was a little low.

Well I though the tank was ~35 but the real answer is 28...

A normal drip style water change with extra salt brings me to 32 and salt in the top off water will do the rest.

Thanks!

Update from the shop

Just wanted to give everyone an update as to the progress.

I finally was able to get down to Dick Blick in Seattle yesterday and pick up the India ink for this project. Speedball ink is hard to find up north here. :D

Anyways, I tested using the India ink as a dye and so far it is looking like it will be a go!!! Loving the color, very black, but still able to se some of the texture and grain of the wood. Oh and did I mention? Don't get the ink on anything as it will stain.

Photos of one pass with the India ink. Never done this before, but enjoying it and easier than staining. Oh and the photos just don't do the finish justice. It looks even better in person. Guess I really need to find a place with the new Nikon D7000 DSLR in stock.

Almost forgot to mention, the streak in the middle of the wood on the last photo was a test with a glue up of 2 pieces of wood. Wanted to see how the ink would dry with the joint.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

I did some more stain, ink tests this morning after a quick trip to the woodworking store.

I was orignially going for a jet black (Non-painted) look. My wife has been asking why I wouldn't do a brown/black and I told her it may be somewhat hard to do. Well here are the results after using a General Finishes water based versus that crappy Minwax stuff. Last time I tried to stain something nice it ended up bloching all to heck and I spent a whole afternoon having to fix the finish. Not with the General Finishes, awesome stuff.

Each test piece was first sanded 120-150-180-220 then wiped with mineral spirits to raise the grain a little and seal the wood some. Then sanded with 320 till wood felt baby bottom smooth.

I then stained, inked, stained until I came up with the results shown in the photos. Wife is most partial to C.

C: Right is General Finishes water based dark mohagany with India ink.
B: Middle is one coat of India ink (jet black), this is what I was originally aiming for.
A: Left is Minwax water based rosewood with India ink.

IMG_0802ABC.jpg

Hey bud,

Test it on one of your large panels if they are plywood. It looks like you used all poplar for the architectural trim. The plywood is where your going to see problems if there are any. The india ink doesnt do well with veneers, so if you see a problem check out Transtint analine dies. Also test it over what ever you plan on using to fill all those finish nail holes.

Don

Hey bud,

Test it on one of your large panels if they are plywood. It looks like you used all poplar for the architectural trim. The plywood is where your going to see problems if there are any. The india ink doesnt do well with veneers, so if you see a problem check out Transtint analine dies. Also test it over what ever you plan on using to fill all those finish nail holes.

Don

Thanks for the info Don. I definatley will be doing a lot of testing. And I did some tests with the nail filler tinted of course and it looks good. :D

No plywood here. :D Stand is all solid wood. Now the canopy might be another story all together. BTW IMHO poplar wood sometimes gets a bad rap for not staining well and the such. I actually find it is nice to work with and better than say birch.

Here's a few photos of the color I have choosen to try. This is in the room that the stand will reside in for years to come. This is not quite finalized as far as a top coat. Just giving everyone an idea as to the final product. The first layer of top coat definatley helped POP the color a bit.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

DonW,

I do need to do some tests on the moulding pieces as they are not poplar wood. When testing with the India ink, they tested all okay, but now that I'm adding some warmth to the wood, well we shall see.

I did look at the Transtint dyes. Have you ever worked with their black?

Cheers,
Alex

Poplar gets a bad rap because it really should be burnished down to 1000. Its architectural wood not furniture wood. People use it for the price and dont understand it needs more work, its real soft.
All transtint dyes work well even the black. It wont ebonize but will add alot to your stains. I'm not a fan of stain in general but if I do use it I'll blend it with transtint to my liking. It really excels mixed in the top coat, especially waterbourn.

Don

Thanks for the information DonW. Might have to try the Transtint in the top coat to see what that looks like.

So I went ahead and broke down. Went to Rockler today and bought their last PC biscuit joiner they had. Great sale price too. Now I'll have to decide what to build with the new toy. :D

You can see the final test piece for the aquarium stand in the background too. Stain and dye should be going on the actual stand this weekend or first of the week. One word describes the finished look, "macassar ebony" or at least a very close resemblance there of. Photos will be posted later of the finished look.

Cheers,
Alex

NewToy.jpg

So I went ahead and broke down. Went to Rockler today and bought their last PC biscuit joiner they had. Great sale price too. Now I'll have to decide what to build with the new toy. :D

I am sure something *canopy* will pop up. I look forward to the show. if you need help moving the stand or plumbing please give me a call.

Thanks guys. Been having to take a break from the finish work due to my hand injury. All the sanding and test panel work takes a toll on the hand and wrist.

Should be starting the long process of dye/stain/sealer/finish next week. If all goes well I should have the stand done by the end of the week and then it will be time to start the canopy. Going to make a run to Barrier Reef and see about ordering my reflectors. I'll need those before starting the build on the canopy so I have all the demensions correct.

Let me know if you need help running a sander or operating a paintbrush. I need to build a few test doors and a router table would be so much faster than setting up the table saw again.

Back