The Class Act Aquarium Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So after the kitten came out of quarantine I started the build once again.

Here's a photo showing the start of the lower portion of the columns.

IMG_0689.jpg

Okay so who's all still with me? Let's see a raise of hands. Anyways, sorry for the little cat story, got a little side tracked there.

Who wants more pictures? Anyone?
:D:D:D

I'm still tagging along. No worries on sidetracking about the kitty. We have a cat who's adopted us for feeding time only.

Alrighty then... I failed to show the final finish on the top of the stand. So here's a photo showing the gloss as it is now for where the tank will be residing. No wetsanding, polishing as of yet here.

Wasn't really going for any fancy type of finish, just wanted durable and easy to clean, oh and easy to apply too.

Topafter4coats.jpg

And here's a photo after I finished both the upper and lower portions of the columns. I just finished this section up about a week and a half ago. So we're getting closer to the end.

All in all the whole process for the upper and lower sections took about a week to do, about 30 hours of work. Probably would've gone faster have I had years of experience. Give me a problem car with a drivability or electrical issue and I can fix that in a heartbeat. :D

IMG_06942.jpg

Okay so I get to this point in the build process. I still have to figure out how to make my own moulding for the center section of the columns and the top. Hmmm.... After a day of testing and pondering and talking with the wife (try and get her involved some) I decided what direction I was going to go.

I didn't know what I had gotten myself into. The moulding was fairly simple to get done with a roundover bit mounted in the router table. But the top cap as I call it (sorry, I don't know the correct term there) would prove to be a little more complicated and tricky.

Here's another shot of the stand before I completed those areas. You can see the shine on the top as well as the inside a little in the photo. It will be a shame to cover it up with a tank. Nah, who am I kidding. It will repel water and salt though.

IMG_0691.jpg

And here's a photo after I finished both the upper and lower portions of the columns. I just finished this section up about a week and a half ago. So we're getting closer to the end.

All in all the whole process for the upper and lower sections took about a week to do, about 30 hours of work. Probably would've gone faster have I had years of experience. Give me a problem car with a drivability or electrical issue and I can fix that in a heartbeat. :D

IMG_06942.jpg

I have a car that needs some work on :)

Around this far in the build, I was realizing the stand was getting a little bit heavy and I was going to need some way of moving it around by myself. Hmmm... I know how about I take some of those scrap 2x's and those cheap roller wheels from Ikea and make a dolly of sorts.

We'll cost me about $3.00 and about an hour to make this. I chamfered the edges so to not alow any damage to the furniture that would be moved on it. Sized at 30" x 16" it fits perfect under the stand.

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

Well Jeff, I'd say we should chat about that at the next get together. :D

I've worked as an auto tech at a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership for 8 years and specialized in electrical, drivability, airbags systems, as well as the basics bread and butter stuff. Before that I went to a tech college for 2 years to get a degree in auto tech.

Well Jeff, I'd say we should chat about that at the next get together. :D

I've worked as an auto tech at a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership for 8 years and specialized in electrical, drivability, airbags systems, as well as the basics bread and butter stuff. Before that I went to a tech college for 2 years to get a degree in auto tech.

i'd say we most definately should! and It's right up you alley, A Jeep Cherokee!

Remember where we started all this... A crappy particle board/mdf stand with no canopy and a crappy look to it. As the wife puts it, "It looks like a store bought stand. Something like you'd see at PetC."

IMG_0774.jpg

And so I decided to start this project with a basic 2x framed stand. Something simple and easy to build.

But then remember what my wife said to me, "If it is going to be in the formal living room, it needs to look like a piece of furniture." Yes dear. :D She didn't like the 2x look and always asked what I'd be doing or how I'd fininsh it? How would it look?

After looking at probably around 200-300+ different stands that others had built, I finally had a lot of ideas that I wanted to incorperate into my build.

Well keep a close eye on the screen as I shut up and let the final photos roll onto the screen...

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

Back