The Class Act Aquarium Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What kind of doors are you going to put on the stand? Whatever you decide take your time measuring them. I've got a set of lipped doors that I'm going to have to rework because I made the lip too wide and causing the edge of the door to rub the face frame when I open or close them.

Mike

Hi Mike,

My plans have changed a little as far as the doors. I was originally going for a raised panel door. Well I decided to scrap that idea and flow the center column look into the doors. As of now my plan is to have a full overlay door, with a beaded rail and stile and a recessed panel. In the end it will look very similar to the column build, with the rounded profile around the edge and flat in the center.

Okay I think I need my first cup of java. :D Here's a photo of what I am aiming for.

Cheers,
Alex

Flatpaneldoor.jpg

Never heard of such a thing. As far as I knew a few coats of urethane or verathane varnish locked in the color less natural ambering. Are you going to use a water base or oil base top coat?

Using dewax shellac works much like a sanding sealer. It also prevents the blotchiness that can happen with the urethane lifting the stains. It works well with soft woods that are not commonly used in furniture like poplar. It basicly locks the stains down to the wood. It will not lift because its mixed with denatured alcohol and flashes very fast sealing the wood in seconds instead of hours.

Don

Thanks DonW for the great explaination on dewaxed shellac. That is exactly how it was decribed to me too.

Okay, I know that a few of you fellow reefers probably thought I gave up on this project. :D Not so fast there my fellow friends. Just had a small unexpected (or should've expected) hiccup from workman's comp vocational counselor again. When will they ever learn.

Anyways, I figured I would give y'all a teaster... Still have some wetsanding to do before the second to the last coat of the special juice goes on. Sorry it isn't the best photo with that darn point and shoot. But it's a little something. :D

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0955.jpg

Thanks DonW for the great explaination on dewaxed shellac. That is exactly how it was decribed to me too.
Yes, Thanks DonW.

There is so much I dont know about staining and varnishing cabinetry.

Good luck building your cabinet doors Alex. I should come to watch so you can teach me. I've just never taken the time to even try.

TheKraken: Yes, Definatley plan to do my own doors for this. I also have a couple of other stands that I'll be working on in the future along with a kitchen remodel, so it will be a great experience in building my own doors.

Trido: I'll give you a call if you'd like when I get ready to build the doors. It should be a nifty experience as it will be my first time building doors. Of course if it is anything like all the other things I do... I will over plan and over think the doors and when it comes time to build them I will be amazed at how they come out.

:D

Thanks for all the compliments. I just finished putting on another micro thin coat :D of finish on the stand. Looks like if everything goes well I will be applying the final coat on Monday and rubbing the stand out a couple of weeks there after.

Trido: I'll give you a call if you'd like when I get ready to build the doors. It should be a nifty experience as it will be my first time building doors. Of course if it is anything like all the other things I do... I will over plan and over think the doors and when it comes time to build them I will be amazed at how they come out.

You'll do fine. The only real trick to doors is a coping sled and horse power. A minimum 3hp router and speed control to drop the speed to about 15K. That should net about 1/2 a horse out of a 3 hp non induction router. Anything smaller is just dangerous.

Don

One last sneek peek. Should be finished up with the finishing coats today and then it will be a waiting game again to finalize the finish with a nice rub out. Sorry the photo is not a nice as I'd like, I blame it on the clouds. :D

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0978.jpg

Oh that's perty!

I'm fabricating quick probe holders this morning. Nothing as fancy as your air silencer by any means.

Oh that's perty!

I'm fabricating quick probe holders this morning. Nothing as fancy as your air silencer by any means.

THx, BTW you should've told me about probe holders. I would let you use the drill press with the holesaw bit or drill bit. Very easy to do. I don't mind firing up the router table either. :D

Well the day has finally come. Main portion of the stand is complete. Now I can start working on building some doors and the lighting canopy. Oh and I have not rubbed out the finish yet or done anything since the last finish coat went on yesterday.

My wife described the color of the stand best, she looked at a bottle of Henry's Root Beer and said it was similar to the color of a bottle of root beer. :D

Video is standard definition. With original music.

Cheers,
Alex

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/21qjz9Q2LaI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Why is it that these little quart sized mixing tubs with a lid cost around $1.75 at the home improvement stores, but they cost 0.55¢ at the autobody store (with lid)? Go figure.

Anyways, came up with a nifty idea for a quick and easy low buck paint strainer. Also it can be reused if cleaned. But I opted not to reuse with oil paint. Firgured I'd share this idea here.

Just a little fiberglass screen that I had left over from rescreening the patio door this summer. Worked like a charm.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0991.jpg

Alex,

I finally made it over to Rockler tonight as I had the magic of a car and time before they closed. Nice stuff and beautiful wood. The cherry is going on sale for $3 a board foot and they have a lot on hand. Are you going?

I was so impressed with you Kreg jig for pocket holes that I picked up a kit.

Alex,

I finally made it over to Rockler tonight as I had the magic of a car and time before they closed. Nice stuff and beautiful wood. The cherry is going on sale for $3 a board foot and they have a lot on hand. Are you going?

I was so impressed with you Kreg jig for pocket holes that I picked up a kit.

Hi Paul.

I have been thinking that I am going to make a trip down there sometime soon. I have a couple of new router bits that I need to pick up along with having them get me a price on a new saw blade. Seems that I am doing a lot more acrylic work and would like to buy a nice blade just for cutting acrylic.

Glad to hear you picked up a pocket hole jig. They come in very handy.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. And yes Krish tank still fits like a glove. :D

So after a little break in the action, I am now going to start the canopy build. I've asked Cy at BR for a price on the reflectors and should be getting those soon. I did make it to Lowe's yesterday and picked up a couple of boards that matched up pretty well. Still have to run both boards across a jointer and get them flushed up together.

Cheers,
Alex

forgot to add, "Sick" is a great thing these days. My nephew said the same thing and he is 20. :D

Back