The Class Act Aquarium Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just a little update. The stand has finally made it into the house.

Next up will be the building of the canopy and then on to the doors. Just had to get the stand out of the workshop so I have the room and so not to damage all the work thus far. Oh, I also need the wife to choose a paint color for the room so I can finish painting the room too.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_1013.jpg

Thank you again for all the kind words.

I apologize that the build has been slow as of late, As I've had my house send me a curve ball. Had a plumbing drain pipe corrode and caused a big mess in my fully finished/cold plenum crawl space. So last week was spent with having the plumber come and fix things up and then had to call out a crawl space clean-up company to clean everything all up.

But still today I am having to address issues below. Possible structural damage and mold issue may have been caused by the water leak, So I am told by the crawl space service manager who came back today to reinspect. So I will be checking it out myself and if necessary calling in a contractor to give a bid for replacing the rotted floor joist pillar/posts (those pillars that help hold the house up).

Anyways, I am still building the canopy and doors, but juts having to deal with this hicup first. So I hope everyone can bear with me while I repair the house, I hope to be back on track with this build in the next week or two.

Cheers,
Alex

Bummer man...You sound like you are in the same boat as me!! On the weekend, the drain pipes for my central air-condition unit that sits in the attic got clogged and as a result, the drain pan overflowed and soaked up the sheetrock which fell through on some places! So the air-condition is all sorted out now I have the guys coming to replace the sheetrock and refinish the ceiling :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the house trouble spllbnd2. Wow, and COLD weather for wet work. I recently had a satellite company install a new outlet for me and drill a 5/8" hole through my 2"abs washer drain pipe. Then he covered it up and left. 4 days later (and several loads of laundry later) I found a large WET area of carpet in that room. About $7K in damage from that, and the wood actually dried up ok and didn't have to be replaced. Just wall, carpet, paint, etc etc.
Amazing work on the stand so far. Good luck with the rest of it, and the house of course.

Of course I had to have one more setback. Seems that while I was building a nice little acrylic fan rack I got a piece of sharp acrylic stuck in my thumb. I thought it was nothing for 3 days!!! Well my wife kept on telling me that I probably have something stuck in my thumb if it still hurts when I put pressure on it.

Lesson learned, ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE. :D Seems that I did have a small piece of acrylic stuck in my thumb and had to have the doctor reopen the area to get the piece of acrylic out. Ouch!

But in the end the fan tray looks awesome :D Still have some polishing to do and then on to the canopy. Built 2 of these fan racks and plan on using nylon screws with silicone rubber for noise control.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention that I am using my sump for a water change holding tank at the moment. Also gives me a chance to see how the stand holds up to splashs of water here and there. Very nicely thus far.

Hey Alex, looking awsome as expected. Now after seeing your acrylic fan housing I may have to scrap the aluminum ones I already built and copy yours instead, very very nice indeed.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Todd. Actually reminded me, I do have some 6061 billet aluminum fan grills for the canopy. Here's a "SNEEK PEEK" into how fancy I am shooting for with the canopy build. :D Still need to polish these bad boys up.

Those are 120mm computer fans. These are just temporary fans, as I am awaiting the manufacture release of the turbine style fans later this month.

p.s. The thing that seperate the men from the boys is the price of their toyz. *lol* I like my toys.

IMG_1048.jpg

Alex my man those are way to friggin cool, where might I find some and do they come in smaller sizes like 80mm ??? I already have some ultra-quiet 11-14db ones I'm planning on using in the canopy with my LED build. Please shoot me a pm with the where and how much if you would.

Cheers, Todd

P.S. Yea for TOYS ! my truck parks outside as have a garage full of em

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind words.

I finally had the time on Thursday to get down to Barrier Reef and have them order me a reflector so that I can start this canopy build. Seems like it has been one thing after another lately. :D

Anyways, figured I better post a couple of photos here. Awesome reflector and proudly build in the USA in good ol' Vacouver Washington :D

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

And it looks like 2 of these will fit nicely on a 65H tank with some room for actinic supplemental lights too. Planning has worked out great as my canopy will be 14" tall so as to not over power the stand and tank which will put this reflector approximately 8" to 9" off the water surface. Awesome :D

IMG_1060.jpg

Back