The Sherman Tank (Photo Scrapbook)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sherman - that last photo is impressive! Sorry about the dead spot on the acro, but getting a close up view of the corals touching is amazing.

Scooterman, I guess it depends on how much contact one coral has with another. In this case, you can pretty much bet the frogspawn will always win. I'd actually expect anything with nematocysts (stingers. Anemones, and many LPS) to win against SPS in a touch contest.

In this case, the SPS is now dead where there was contact. The best solution is to separate them, I guess. I have one location where a hammer coral (euphyllia anchora) has grown to rub up against an Acropora Cerealis. I've decided to make like the Beatles and "Let it be." The A. Cerealis now has a signficantly damaged branch, probably about a 1/4" of it is stark white and dead.

I also have a DMZ (demilitarized zone) between two SPS encrustings where it appears they've agreed to leave this hairline gap between each other and not touch. Neither has made a move over the other, ever, and they've been like this for almost a year.

Sherman said:
Scooterman, I guess it depends on how much contact one coral has with another. In this case, you can pretty much bet the frogspawn will always win. I'd actually expect anything with nematocysts (stingers. Anemones, and many LPS) to win against SPS in a touch contest.

In this case, the SPS is now dead where there was contact. The best solution is to separate them, I guess. I have one location where a hammer coral (euphyllia anchora) has grown to rub up against an Acropora Cerealis. I've decided to make like the Beatles and "Let it be." The A. Cerealis now has a signficantly damaged branch, probably about a 1/4" of it is stark white and dead.

I also have a DMZ (demilitarized zone) between two SPS encrustings where it appears they've agreed to leave this hairline gap between each other and not touch. Neither has made a move over the other, ever, and they've been like this for almost a year.
Say Scooterman............when they make contact...? is it best to Break/cut off the effected area...? so as to save the healthy part of the coral...? i'm trying to learn from others as much as i can..... thanks for the info, cw.

There are many who have been waiting on the new Canon 60mm EF-S macro lens, to see what it can do. I got to borrow one this week. Here are a couple shots. And since everyone asks, the candy coral was just getting ready to get rid of some digestion. :)

clownjunior.jpg

candypuke.jpg

tenuis.jpg

tan_cap.jpg

I will admit I am sort of disappointed in the lens. These shots aren't bad, but they're not stellar like the 100mm. There just seems to be some sort of "pop" missing. Chromatic abberations were also pretty significant with this lens, and that's not a good thing. With more time, I could probably fine tune my abilities with that lens, I'm sure. But for me, the debate between the 100mm and the 60mm Canon macros has pretty much been won by the 100mm.

My G5 has way more chromatic aberrations than your nice slr, no comparison there, I see what your saying seems from the shots regardless they are still awesome to the amateur like myself.

Finally! I captured the Six Line Wrasse! I also found a Bicolor Blenny and a Tonga shroom in my tank.

tongashroom_macro.jpg

bicolorblenny_macro.jpg

sixlinewrasse.jpg

Sherman...thanks so much for sharing, and please don't stop...just found the thread..thanks for the photo tips...i just have a auto kodak dx4530, but have the 7mm and 10mm macro lenses which i have played with...getting a tripod which will help hopefully...the 10mm gets great shots, but most of my stuff is too far away to get a good focus

how did you get your wrasse, when i had one way back when, they don't stop...so i think the closeup is all the more impressive

Sherman, while they are all fantastic photo's I have to say that the 6-line pic is absolutely amazing. Very nice, please borrow these great lenses more often :D

I'd say the same thing too Chuck, but I guess I have to start somewhere first...Like getting a camera with sense!

Honestly, very nice photos Sherman! It's un-real the clarity. I almost went to try and feed that last fish in the photo because he looked so real!:shock: :lol:

Sherman those are some awesome pictures !!!
i love the 6 line picture a lot, seriously it's really really kewl dood.

Found this one while cleaning out the chaff in the tank photos folder. This is back when I caught the bastard! He's since been sent to another reefer's FOWLR tank, the coral eating menace! This fish was a lemonpeel/half-black hybrid dwarf angel. Never again...

angelpecking.jpg

Oh man! Caught red handed! How bad was the damage to your corals? How long before you noticed a difference after it was removed from the tank?

There wasn't ant sort of major damage. The problem was that the polyps never EVER extended, so the corals didn't look as good as they could have. It's been 4 months, and some of the corals still won't extend polyps except for in the new growth areas. It's like they remember :).

Sherman - I just went back a page and saw the 6-line pic. WOW! Great job....they are so fast and busy, I'm not sure how you caught it. Outstanding!

Thanks so much. From the XIF info, here's the goods:

ISO 800 (This is as high as I dare go for anything decent)
F/5
-1 EV to get a 1/125th shutter speed.
Image stabilization

Now, I'm just about sure I had the camera in machine gun mode, meaning it was on multi-exposure, and I just held the button down for a few seconds at 4 shots per second.

Magicians around the world are hating me right now for sharing. :)

Sherman said:
Found this one while cleaning out the chaff in the tank photos folder. This is back when I caught the bastard! He's since been sent to another reefer's FOWLR tank, the coral eating menace! This fish was a lemonpeel/half-black hybrid dwarf angel. Never again...

angelpecking.jpg
Yum Yum!!! I just hate when that happens!!!:evil:

Here's a full stand shot I took today while experimenting with in-tank photography using the flash. It used to be a corner unit television cabinet, but when I moved houses there weren't any corners to put it in, so it sat in the dining/kitchen area until I decided to get into the hobby.

Lots of people ask why I don't run a sump, or [insert space taking item here], so now you know why. I have a 13 gallon reservoir sitting up above the whole stand along with the MH ballasts, and I have to manually fill that every couple of weeks. The Power compact ballast is underneath the entire stand, on the linoleum. I have a kalk reactor behind the tank with a HOB skimmer and HOB media filter, in the corner "void," and am in the process of a DIY calcium reactor. The small CO2 bottle will be in the cabinets down below.

So where do I put the sump? :D

fullstand_011606.jpg

Back