Urgent Lighting question Please help fast

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think that this is mostly prefference either way would be enuff light, choose based on what you are wanting out of your light. I would go with the 2 175's

Matt

two would be better for your tank length....but your tank isn't very deep. you could have some heat issues .that's alot of heat over a small volume of water, but you will be able to keep most anything in there. what are you planning to keep in it?

everything ( have good live rock withi big caves for shadows,

I was thinking putting bathroom fans in the hood with light ( Idea from Ben{class clown})

well, i think the 2 175watts because there will be more overall output, cause per watt i think metal halide are more intense then PC lights, and it's more watts then either of the other set ups, plus if you don't like the kelvin rating just change bulbs

two 175s will be better because they are the most effective when placed every two feet. One halide on a 36" tank will cause darker areas towards the left and right sides of the tank. Just be sure and watch the heat issues. A couple of well placed fans should do the trick.

Umm...2x175MH...IMO.

If you want a slightly less electric..bill...err yea.

Best,
Ilham

Hey JR, IMO your cost difference in running two 175 over two 250w isn't enough to worry about but being the 250 are more popular & tend to get better options (mainly because of demand leads to more R&D on the 250's & more lamp options) I'd say go with two

http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OE&Product_Code=EVCMH250&Category_Code=EVCEB

This way if you ever decide to go with a 4ft tank or bigger you have two very usable ballast. Also at 20" deep you can keep anything you ever wanted. JMO 2 cents, you talking a 1/2 amp per unit more & a ton of usable options afterwards & enough light to light your house :D.

Not bad Ilham, the EVC's are the same price & IMO a better preforming ballast but they are out of stock, Aro ballast have preformed well for a long time also but either it a good way to go again JMO!

The set-up for either would be the same. You can look for a retro kit which you should get the ballast, mogul socket, power cord, reflector & then a lamp of your choice. I'd also consider looking for a good timer but you can go to HD or Lowe's for that. With any of this lighting you will need to consider venting your hood also, plan on adding several fans in key locations. What do you plan on keeping in your tank? If your not going to keep sps or or some lps then you could go with a less powerful lighting system, this above would cover everything but it may not be the way you want to go with your tank. The upfront cost of MH vs other fluorescent set-ups isn't a huge difference but you will save money upfront & also in power consumption, something to think about but also think of the future if you do desire more later then bite the bullet & get what you will need for now & later. HTH

Don't like the e-bay stuff just me. Never heard of that odyssey set-up but it looks nice. for less than that you could get two of these.

http://hellolights.com/25methalbalk.html

at this point your getting into personal choices, the odyssey fixture is neat.
Both the Magnetic & electronic is a good ballast, the magnetic is usually lots bigger & heavier & hotter running but in some situations can out preform an electronic, electronic is smaller, cooler running & slightly more efficient, depending on comparison, needs & ballast brands one may be a better option over the other.

i like the new generation of odyysea m.h., but i think the aro retros from hellolights are better quality. you will pay more after you get some bulbs, but the free ones you get with that odyysea fixture are crap anyway.
i do like that single m.h. fixture from odyysea for nano tanks though, case in point, will's nano at sharkreef behind the counter.
also, get the odyysea fixtures with 150w bulbs, not "175w." not sure if they are just callingt a 150hqi a 175 or if they are having proprietary 175w. bulbs made for them, either way, sounds limiting when replacing bulbs.

I actually went with 1 single 400 watt MH at 10k for now.
I am looking for a dual set up with 55w - 96w PCs for the actinic look

the tank now I have to decide if I wanna go with...
1.) tank is L= 36" W= 12" H= 24.5"
2.) tank is L= 30" W= 12" H= 18"

what you think?

JR

Back