Where has all the particpation gone???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Really!!! John Denver?

DENVER????

shame on you.
GO HAWKS!!!

Sorry Lorrie. You know I'm only a few months away from a permanent move to the mile high city. I'm still rooting for the Hawks! My wife is already there and isn't a sports fan but we still considered getting her a 12th man jersey just to antagonize her co-workers. The good news is, I'll only be a few miles away from MACNA by the time it kicks off this summer!

I was wondering if she was out there already.

OH and we all have a place to stay then when we come out for MACNA. yay!

I was wondering if she was out there already.

OH and we all have a place to stay then when we come out for MACNA. yay!

I hope we have a place where we can put everyone up! As of right now, I'll be living in the basement of my new surrogate mother-in-law. My wife is staying with a friend-of-a-friend's-friend. She's a really nice lady, but we'd obviously prefer to have our own place. It's going to be complicated either selling or renting our place here while making the move and finding a place when I don't have a job lined up yet. We'd like to find somewhere with a reasonable commute for both of us. I miss my tank, but I'm glad that we won't have the additional stress of moving it with everything else up in the air.

What kind of robotics work are they doing at the school? Are they controlling it with some embedded system, or a remote control,... What kind of movement/functionality are they trying to get out of the bot?

I wish they had offered something like that when I was in high school. The coolest thing we had was FFA. Anyone else out there a former 4-H/FFA member (if you were, you know how cool those kids were)? Demin jackets with a big logo on the back that looks like an outlaw MC logo?

Those were the days. "Well, life's on a farm is kinda laid back, ain't much an old country boy like me can't hack...." Finish that one Husker :)

Early to rise, early in the sack, Thank God I'm a country boy. Well, I"ve got a fine wife and I've got a fine fiddle...want me to keep going?

What kind of robotics work are they doing at the school? Are they controlling it with some embedded system, or a remote control,... What kind of movement/functionality are they trying to get out of the bot?

I wish they had offered something like that when I was in high school. The coolest thing we had was FFA. Anyone else out there a former 4-H/FFA member (if you were, you know how cool those kids were)? Demin jackets with a big logo on the back that looks like an outlaw MC logo?

Those were the days. "Well, life's on a farm is kinda laid back, ain't much an old country boy like me can't hack...." Finish that one Husker :)

Hey Peppie, my son Rich has been a mentor the last 4 years including this year on the Interlake High School Robotics team in Bellevue. Out of the last two years they have went to nationals/world championships in St. Louis. This is his last year with the team since they he is moving out here next summer.

The bot will be remote controled. Its task is to pick up and throw a 24' diam. fitness ball. So many points for throwing it over a 6' truss, so many points for throwing thru an elevated 3' high goal, so many points for a catch. The bot will have two other bots on the playing field to interact with. It is a world wide competition.
It is the FIRST ROBOTICS Organization

I grew up on a farm! Couldnt do the 4-H. Peer pressure!

Your hectic life and living arrangements will pass soon enough, then you can get a tank set back up.

Early to rise, early in the sack, Thank God I'm a country boy. Well, I"ve got a fine wife and I've got a fine fiddle...want me to keep going?

As much as I'd like to imagine you singing this to everyone, I couldn't help but link in a live audio clip. I apologize in advance to the mods if this isn't Kosher to link up. I'm transported back to a time when I was sitting by my Pa's side in a combine harvesting corn or soy beans in a field back in Illinois. Today, I spent 12 hrs in a computer lab studying computer algorithms and trying to optimize run-time of programs where 10 micro-seconds (0.000010 seconds) is too much time to waste. It makes me miss the corn fields.

The bot will be remote controled. Its task is to pick up and throw a 24' diam. fitness ball. So many points for throwing it over a 6' truss, so many points for throwing thru an elevated 3' high goal, so many points for a catch. The bot will have two other bots on the playing field to interact with. It is a world wide competition.
It is the FIRST ROBOTICS Organization

I grew up on a farm! Couldnt do the 4-H. Peer pressure!

Your hectic life and living arrangements will pass soon enough, then you can get a tank set back up.

That's a really impressive goal they've set for the students. It requires an interesting reaction from the bot. Up to this point, I've only ever tried to accomplish something mechanically and electrically in terms of simply getting from point A to point B, with some relatively primitive acceleration involved. Trying to throw something mechanically implies that there is some motor or actuator that is accelerating up to a given point of release of the throwing arm. I makes me think of some of the devices I see on Mythbusters. Very cool. What are you guys using for actuators?

I think we have strayed from the OP topic a bit... Supreme executive power
derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some... farcical
aquatic ceremony!

One more mention of John Denver and I am leaving, you can have your free beer ;)

You don't to appreciate the music to appreciate the nostalgia.

Halmus - Easy to miss the simple times, especially with friends and family. Kind of jealous of your memory trip. might have to plan one of my own :)

I think we have strayed from the OP topic a bit... Supreme executive power
derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some... farcical
aquatic ceremony!

You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

You don't to appreciate the music to appreciate the nostalgia.

Halmus - Easy to miss the simple times, especially with friends and family. Kind of jealous of your memory trip. might have to plan one of my own :)

They were good times.

On a completely different note, I stopped by a new store in Davenport Ia, across the water from my old home town a few months ago when I was back there. It was really impressive! I had a reef tank way back when I was living at home in IL and Chicago was the closest place for quality coral and equipment. We have it really good in the Seattle area with some quality stores and often take it for granted. ( you can read into this: Please support your local store! ) Anyway, this store in Davenport was almost on the same level as our stores here. SPS was almost unheard of when I lived there, and they're carrying some impressive coral now at really good prices from sources like ORA. I hope they can find the clientele to support their bold move.

Back