ZEOvit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So are we talking about the same mineral zeolites? If so what would the long term affects of alluminum silicate be??

Don

Mike, the ZEOvit system has been commercially available for just over 3yrs. & about 4mos in the U.S. As stated above, it basically will drive all systems to absolute undetectable nutrient levels ie. N03's/P04's. These levels can not be attained by other means. While providing nutrient reduction, the system utilizes elements that allow SPS coloration & growth to be enhanced beyond the nutrient depletion itself. Thus, the ZEOvit method produces marked SPS color & growth & at the same time, preventing "system crashes" by maintaining a low nutrient environment.Bob

Don, the stones used for this system are a composition of 4 different zeolites. This mixture, ZEOvit,was found thru trial & error by Thomas Pohl. To my knowledge, this mixture of zeolites have not had any long-term side-effects[Thomas has been using/experimenting with zeolites for over 9 yrs.] Bob

They've been using that stuff in pool and spa industy for years to absorb ammonia.
If its the same stuff!

Don

Don, the exact zeolites [clinoptilolites] used are unknown, as is their exact mode of action. Some do not believe zeolites can absorb ammonia enough to be a factor, but the zeolites have sufficient high affinity in seawater to create a steeper ammonia gradient which would facilitate bacteria to remove ammonia much faster, therefore, they would compete more strongly with other organisms for the ammonia uptake. Nitrifying & denitrifrying bacteria inhabit the zeolites. Bob

That part I understand. The gravel form has been used in pond biofilters for a long time.

Don

:razz: Mike, I remember a recent PM :exclaim: Most articles are written in German :( therefore, referencing for me is not possible. The "ZEOvit guide" is written by Alexander Girz & he has written an article for wetwebmedia, although this material may not have been published yet. Anthony may be able help with this. Bob

here is a link to the instructions. I don't know if that has the info that your are looking for Mike, but there is quite a bit of explenations on this page. http://www.captiveoceans.com/page7.html

and http://www.captiveoceans.com/ is where they sell this stuff in the states. I have been considering trying it out, and may do it in Feb when I get back from Germany provided I still have a reef tank after being gone for 3 months. I have a pretty good idea on how to make that reactor with the 'shaker' in it, and that is the most ridiculous purchase about the whole thing. I may be able to make some of those if anyone wants to try this system.

Tom's right, the Grotech zeo-canister is the major expense. Actually, Tom, the DIY's I've seen are well-made & function properly & cost much less. A couple of points to remember:1) filter has on/off cycles,therefore when off, the water level must stay above the zeolites; 2) flow rate is 100gph/liter zeolite eg. I use 5liters in my canister, flowing at 500gph[500g net system]. Bob

I think that I am going to definately give it a shot for 6 months and see what happens. It seems like a good system to me. There are a lot of nay sayers, but most of the poeple who have used it for a while seem to like it.

big t said:
I think that I am going to definately give it a shot for 6 months and see what happens. It seems like a good system to me. There are a lot of nay sayers, but most of the poeple who have used it for a while seem to like it.

Thats correct! Thomas P states that he has 1000 users for years now in Germany. His success wouldnt be this good if it didnt work. The best thing is that he is always coming out with new things or updating some of the products he has.

Bob, im back! I was having login problems. It was my SPAM folder where my passwds kept being sent too. :)

PLEASE start off slow. Bob can help you out with the dosages. He is good at this. Started me off very well and havent lost a coral/frag yet. Also, it is better to mimic the reef seawaters. This gives your animals a better chance of survivability and change of water params. If you are serious about Zeovit, SLOWLY reduce your water params to the following per T Pohl:

Sal: 1.023
Alk: 7-8
CA: 400

You can have the params higher/lower, but you will be more stable when aimed for seawater levels. Remember, your corals came from these levels, so adaption and health is increased.

For myself, I am at:

Sal: 1.023
Alk: 8
CA: 425

Here are some pointers:

When overdosing Zeobac or Zeostart, you will see an increase of diatoms/green slimy algae on your rocks or your windows. This is from the famous Alexanders tank.

alexanderoverdose-1.jpg

alexanderoverdose-2.jpg

After 2 wks on Zeovit, I saw an increased of Polyp extension and growth. Here is one of my frags for proof. It is said that polyp extensions if for respiratory needs or feeding on high dense plankton (at night). Its still being debated on the cause. Usually everyone wants to see polyp extension no matter what. ;)

edwardpolypcrazy1.jpg

For those who do begin ZEOvit, the cornerstone of success is patience. Because ZEOvit WILL reduce the N's & P's quickly, the urge to accomplish this more rapidly is strong. Depending on the nutrient levels/experience, some tanks may take mos, to achieve zero-nutrients, others just wks. No matter, all will reach that goal & be successful if one thoroughly understands the basics of the system, & do not mix methodologies from their previous experience. The ZEOvit guide in a above post should be read & reread. Ask questions where needed. There were failures with ZEOvit in Germany as probably, there will be here. However, if one truly follows the guide, which was written with caution[read:slow] in the dosing regimen, one can have a colorful, vibrant reef as any seen in the reef books. Bob

Back