1000 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Brett, I've been out of town so I just got a chance to read your post. Next time you need something picked up that's big just give me a call or PM. I have a box truck. It might save you the hassle of strapping to the top of your car:)

on board watching this o.m.g. If this was a reef tank it would be sickk but still enjoy a eatacatasharkus! l.o.l. Hell If I had that and the suby I would be broke! ENJOY !!!!

io salt

Thus far I have kept within my planned budget. I did forget one little thing though..... Salt. I need approx 1400g. 160g bucket of IO is around 35-40 at blue sierra with the PSAS discount. $300 for salt, not including tax. LOL, I know IO is everyone favortie (for the most part) as its a decent reef salt.

hey brett. you can buy io salt at petsmart.com . i think its $35.99 each for the 160 gallon bucket. if you buy 2 or more its free shipping. i just bought 8 buckets. when the tank gets to your house. let me know. free beer sounds good. always willing to help. talk to ya soon. chad

Egyptians did it

Here is an idea for moving your tank into your garage. Bear in mind I am a geneticist, not an engineer. OK, here goes:
1. put your stand next to the truck
2. put ~10 1" steel 6' pipes under your stand
3. put your tank onto the stand
4. secure your tank to the stand (metal straps with 1/2" screws going into the 3/4" plywood base, wrapping around the metal supports on sides and end).
5. push/pull the tank/stand (push against the stand only, don't push on the tank, use straps to pull the stand as well). The pipes should act like bearings.
6. as the tank/stand moves forward, remove the pipes from the back and bring them to the front.
7. make slow steady progress until it is in position, remove the pipes (place fewer of them in the lead position as you get close).

Alternatives, use 4 rolling car jacks instead of pipes, they are made with caster systems that can support this kind of weight. Floor jacks would need to be secured to the stand and would be higher up, therefore higher risk, also harder to get out at the end location.

General idea, secure the tank to the stand outside the garage then roll the whole assembly in. Kinda reminicent of Egyptians moving big rocks without forklifts.

This would take a bunch of people to pull off but I think it could work. Your driveway does not look steep and the transition to your garage also looks feasible from the shots you have at the beginning of this post with the tubs on your Subi.

If you are thinking about trying this, I would also recommend practicing with just the stand first to determine feasibility and identify any problem transitions.

Bingme

Last edited:
I have seen light-gage steel rectangular tube sections that would fit over the forklift blades.

If you use 2x6's, dont use treated. They are weaker than stud-grade 2x6's (or No. 2's)

Not sure I would trust tow straps - just because they would be hard to get tight. I would use duct tape (to keep them aligned) plus (probably) 3 c-clamps on each fork (side-by-side, as far away from the fork tip as possible).

I have been offered some forklift extensions, and also the guy building my stand has offered to let me barrow some rectangle stock any lenght and size I need. So were gonna live on the edge i think..

I seen on dave chappell show. He downed some redball an picked a bus up that ran over a dime. You could get a few of us together and a six pack and we could all stare at it.
Just JK. Man thats going to be a job :shock:.

Your still gonna hang off the back of the lift for levergae right?

Do you have a total tank weight number??

Under 2500

Brett,

You must get the total weight of the tank before you do anything more. It also needs to be accurate, no wag. (wild ass guess) Don't mess with a forklift and non factory forklift extensions. It's the billy bob's of the world that attach 2x6's and such that induce tip overs and injurys. If the tank is 12 feet long and that is your picking length point or load center, then you need 6'+ long forks and a forklift that has a capacity that is 20%+ more than your tank. If you call some of the forklift rental places you would be suprised how affordable a pic becomes. Be preparred with all the info. One variable is your garage door and celing height. I would think you need a propane sit down style that has a 7500lb load capacity. They may be too tall for your garage, hope not for your sake. Then your only other option is a mediun/large auto wrecker with a boom and rigging equipment. A 1000 gallon coffee table tank would be killer though! I thought that was funny, but probably not so much for you. Hope this helps, as I have a little experience with the above situations, Jason

Im gonna get a lift with a 7500 lb tail. The tanks under 2500 so I think were in the clear. Were gonna pick it from the truck. Have the truck drive away so we dont need to move the fork lift. Set the tank down on blocks. Re-pick it from the side, and slide the tank off the pallet onto the stand.

I suggest that we all agree on who will have video rights, and that we agree that half of the proceeds (American funniest home videos, or whatever) be donated to Reef Frontiers ...

If I live I get at least enough to buy another tank :lol:

Definitely want to second the notion of having a good plan in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVYZLBRp5us

Eric in Lake Forest Park:badgrin:

Not funny... okay pretty dang funny, but not if that happens to me :lol:

bingme - that is a great clip!

Dont worry it wont happen to us buddy. Those guys arent drinking beer.

Hey Brett, I've been out of town so I just got a chance to read your post. Next time you need something picked up that's big just give me a call or PM. I have a box truck. It might save you the hassle of strapping to the top of your car:)

Thanks buddy, I'll remember that for next time. I was getting some pretty funny looks from people.

on board watching this o.m.g. If this was a reef tank it would be sickk but still enjoy a eatacatasharkus! l.o.l. Hell If I had that and the suby I would be broke! ENJOY !!!!

Thanks VW!

hey brett. you can buy io salt at petsmart.com . i think its $35.99 each for the 160 gallon bucket. if you buy 2 or more its free shipping. i just bought 8 buckets. when the tank gets to your house. let me know. free beer sounds good. always willing to help. talk to ya soon. chad

I'll look into the salt, thanks chad. Sounds like your signed up for moving day!

Here is an idea for moving your tank into your garage. Bear in mind I am a geneticist, not an engineer. OK, here goes:
1. put your stand next to the truck
2. put ~10 1" steel 6' pipes under your stand
3. put your tank onto the stand
4. secure your tank to the stand (metal straps with 1/2" screws going into the 3/4" plywood base, wrapping around the metal supports on sides and end).
5. push/pull the tank/stand (push against the stand only, don't push on the tank, use straps to pull the stand as well). The pipes should act like bearings.
6. as the tank/stand moves forward, remove the pipes from the back and bring them to the front.
7. make slow steady progress until it is in position, remove the pipes (place fewer of them in the lead position as you get close).

Alternatives, use 4 rolling car jacks instead of pipes, they are made with caster systems that can support this kind of weight. Floor jacks would need to be secured to the stand and would be higher up, therefore higher risk, also harder to get out at the end location.

General idea, secure the tank to the stand outside the garage then roll the whole assembly in. Kinda reminicent of Egyptians moving big rocks without forklifts.

This would take a bunch of people to pull off but I think it could work. Your driveway does not look steep and the transition to your garage also looks feasible from the shots you have at the beginning of this post with the tubs on your Subi.

If you are thinking about trying this, I would also recommend practicing with just the stand first to determine feasibility and identify any problem transitions.

Bingme

Good looking out Bing, are ya coming over, we'll need your brains

Im gonna get a lift with a 7500 lb tail. The tanks under 2500 so I think were in the clear. Were gonna pick it from the truck. Have the truck drive away so we dont need to move the fork lift. Set the tank down on blocks. Re-pick it from the side, and slide the tank off the pallet onto the stand.

Couple of questions/concerns:

First - is the pallet-tank combination OK with a pick from the side? Wouldn't want the tank to crack because the weight of the (unsupported) ends puts too much stress on the middle.

Second - Care to elaborate how this 2500-lb tank is going to slide off the pallet and onto the stand?

for picking it from the side, I'll keep those square tubes running through the pallet. The tanks on ply wood and hopefully the plywood will slide off the pallet with a few strong guys.

The coefficient of friction for wood-on-wood can be as high as 0.5

Meaning that the amount of horizontal force needed to overcome the friction will be approximately half the weight of your tank.

So ...

is the Seahawks offensive line coming over to push this thing off the pallet?

The coefficient of friction for wood-on-wood can be as high as 0.5

Meaning that the amount of horizontal force needed to overcome the friction will be approximately half the weight of your tank.

So ...

is the Seahawks offensive line coming over to push this thing off the pallet?

Well thats better than I thought. Only having to slide 1250lbs rather than the full 2500. I was thinking maybe of renting some of those suction cups with handles too. That will give up something to grasp on to.

I'll keep ya posted Eric. That would be awesome if you made it out. As for the RAT CITY ROLLER GIRLS... I heard on komo radio that they had a try-out this last weekend. Sounds like some pretty crazy stuff.

I can probably swing by after work to help out. Please update as the info for delivery times/dates becomes more tangible. Saturday is out due to my other hobby (roller derby photography)
http://community.webshots.com/user/rollergirls :eek::rolleyes:

Eric (Bingme)

Update on progress:

Stand:
The guys who is building my stand came over and checked out the slope of my garage floor. Rather than shim the stand, he's going to build the stand to accommodate for the uneven slab. The fear with shimming is that its going to reduce the spread of the weight from the whole bottom side to just where the shims are.

Rock and sand: I picked up around 100-150lbs of smaller sized rock from NoMercyMike (thanks buddy). The rock was damp, but also dry so my assumption was that there would be some additional die off deep inside the rock. I wanted to get this stuff cooking. I filled one of the three sumps up. I ran over to petco and grabbed some stacking soda pop crates to elevate my skimmer (temporary). I got the skimmer online and started pulling stuff out almost immediately. Last night I picked up another 60-100lbs of cured rock out in Shoreline and tossed it in too. Hopefully this stuff will seed some coraline and good stuff too. I'm still looking for more rock, mostly cured stuff to shorten the tanks cycle (if possible, and I know its gonna still have a cycle). I'm picking up the sand next weekend.

Tank: The tanks in progress, and the expected delivery date remains the same. Haven't really heard any news on it recently. I've called frequently but don't want to be a pest.

OH! one thing I now remember. My wife wasn't going to be happy hitting her head on the return pipe as she walked out to the garage. The original specs were 130x60x30.

With the addition of the EXTERNAL overflow and the plumbing being located on the ends ONLY, I had to re-size the tank slightly. 127.375 x 60.375 x 30 which puts me at a meager 998 gallons. :( I wanted to be in the 1000+ category but oh well.

Back