180 gallon dual octogon AGA

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mangroves are saltwater trees that only there roots are in the water and the rest of them is out of the water..
google image Mangrove forests.. you'll see the images and say " I've seen those before"

there are also good for reef systems to reduce nitrates.

mangroves are saltwater trees that only there roots are in the water and the rest of them is out of the water..
google image Mangrove forests.. you'll see the images and say " I've seen those before"

there are also good for reef systems to reduce nitrates.

Well, I've seen them before, and heard of them several times, just never studied the requirements and pros/cons of having them. Time to do some research.:)

As nice as the water fall would be, The rock it would run over would become an algae haven. Kinda like the Algae Turf Scrubbers.
The best way to do it is like estanoche recommended and keep it as splash free as possible.
Cool project!

Looking Amazing Ben!!!

I'd also recommend you do all you can to avoid splashing, or a waterfall. This will not only cause problems with bubbles and algae, but will also create a problem with salt creep. Elbow those outputs downward, with maybe a second elbow, directing the flow across the lower tank. You can heat up the second elbow, in boiling water, and pinch it with a pair of pliers, to create a "fan" shape, to disperse flow. Or you could even put a couple Hydor Flo, rotating devices on there, those these cut down on flow, a bit.

Disaster strikes while switching tanks!

Here was the plan:
my tank was 75 gallons, and the new tank is 180 (100 on one side and 80 on the other). I figured I could move my whole tank (water, sand, rock, livestock) to the smaller side with all my equipment hooked to just that side while I cycled the larger side independantly for a while. After that, I could slowly start mixing the two sides and then initiate the loop. I stuck all my livestock, rock, and water in large bins with powerheads and lights while I moved the old tank aside and the new one in, then transfered the sand and remainder of the rock in the tank and started filling it with livestock rock and water one bin at a time. All went well until an hour after it was filled when the bulkhead started leaking! (must have gotten hit during moving it, or by a large rock when filling it) In an instant, I made the decision to quickly transfer everything over to the larger side which put everything under immediate tremendous stress (nobody likes moving 3 times in 1 day!). Everything is starting to look ok again, and nothing has died, but now I have a bare bottom tank, and need to move the sand into a sump tomorrow so that I can have soom kind of temporary loop to my biological filtration and have use of my skimmer and fuge. I connected it to a canister filter with carbon and a ton of powerheads for overnight.

Last edited:
Sounds like everything should be okay. I was a little concerned though about reusing the sand. Doesnt that cause a nitrate issue when disturbing the sand bed. Can you reuse it if it was rinsed real good?

You'd probably be fine keeping the sand out for now - your live rock does a great job at filtering things too... just put a lil pump in the bucket you have it in (doesn't even need a heater)

When I had my tank between tanks, I had no sand in the holding tank that I kept everything in, really gave me a chance to clean the grunge outta my liverock, and start with LR that wasn't quite so saturated with detritus when I got it all in my new tank...

Everything looks good today. I fixed the other side, and will put the sand and remaining water in there tomorrow. I will top it off with new saltwater and let it run for at least a few days or a week before I start the loop of flow and have my completed tank up and running. Now I need new lights!

Here's a few pics from today. They are mostly all happy.

DSCN3761.jpg

DSCN3762.jpg

Almost done filling (slow process going from 75 gallons to 180+ 40 sump without shocking your system with new water!). Trying to sell my old tank to get more funds for a permanent lighting solution. Only lost 1 thing during the move, a green birdsnest colony stressed and started dying from the bottom up, so I had to cut all the tips. Oh well, now I just have more frags to spread around!:rolleyes:

DSCN3885.jpg

DSCN3886.jpg

Look at this dude's face!
DSCN3832.jpg

My new hippo tang. Thank you Brandy and Mike!
DSCN3887.jpg

Back