40 gallon sps (in progress)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

okay...i'll post pics tomrw when lights are on but everything is in there!!! new 6line wrasse...

its pretty sweet....im still missing rock but that will eventually fill..

so im pretty much turning into krish....i have a seio 820, two seio 620's, 3 mj1200 and 1 rio 800....

so thats 820+620+620+300+300+300+285= 3245gph and so that is 81x turnover....wow. its blowing in there!!!

cwazyclown, fwiw,

When i did my 20L sps-nano, i came to realize that realestate wasvery valuable. That being said you might want to look for some other method of flow... i was looking into changing my tank from powerheads and more powerheads to a closed loop type ... could knock you down a few large power heads.. but getting alot of flow from the closed loop will help you out realestate wise. I know your budge may be tight.. but i just wanted to get the idea into your mind. I probalbly would have changed my tank into a closed loop system if the heat didnt kill almost everything.. good luck=)

did i miss something??

what about a cylce?

theres a fish in the tank, b4 rock??

Im confused

I agree, thats a lot of prime real estate. Maybe converting the mj to mj mods and that way you could take some seio's out. Something to keep room for frags.

Last edited:
ohhh, okay so i'll prob just run 2 seios then..one 820 and one 620. then a rio800 for dead spots and a mj1200 for chiller during summer...is this okay?

no cycle. all stuff came from previous 10g.

I have a 38G and used 2 620's for a while with decent results( I use a nano stream and a 620 now). I have sand though and found that if I added anymore flow things would start blowing around. The LPS also retracted when I tried adding more flow.
With no sand and just SPS you may be able to physically keep that much flow in your tank, but I dont really think its really needed. Especially not at the expense of a lot of prime realestate. A 620 + 820 + rio + chiller return should be more then enough. Might not even need that rio.

As long as you keep your rockwork open I wouldnt use it. The fewer PH's running, the fewer you have to service, the fewer the can break, the less heat that is put in your tank, the more space you save, etc etc.

well im buying fully cured rock and putin it into my 10g to make sure its totally cored and test it in there...so once the rock goes in my 10, i'll test and such and make sure its at 0 and then more it into 40...so it'll be like 1.5weeks before it goes in real tank

well im buying fully cured rock and putin it into my 10g to make sure its totally cored and test it in there...so once the rock goes in my 10, i'll test and such and make sure its at 0 and then more it into 40...so it'll be like 1.5weeks before it goes in real tank

kewl dood, where did you buy your rocks from? if you don't mind me asking :p:D.

Back