400 gallons of saltwater running through my house.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Congrats on the house. The gf and I got our house like a yr and a half ago. Busy busy lol.
Keep up the good work on the tanks!!!
D

Congrats on the house. The gf and I got our house like a yr and a half ago. Busy busy lol.
Keep up the good work on the tanks!!!
D
Thanks! The wheels are turning on how to setup the next system... :)

Today was a day of maintenance. Made dosing solution (ca, alk & mag), changed RO DI resin & cleaned the glass. I guess I packed one of the resin containers too full last round as it was swollen tight around the housing. I ended up using a screwdriver and a hammer to poke a hole in the container to pull some resin beads out. This time I made sure not to pack them too tight. TDS reading back down to 0 from 1. Now back to daydreaming about the new build... :)

If it was me I would have to write it all down...............lol. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas on what size tank you are dreaming of?

Well I am going to stick with my existing tank but build the stand wider and deeper to accept a bigger tank down the road. It will also give me something to step on to get into the tank. Right now I'm trying to figure out the placement of the sump, fuge, fresh water & saltwater containers in the fish room. Oh and a sink! Should I seal the floor, trying to slope everything to the drain? Should I put up green board or make sure to integrate a fan? How big of a sub-panel should I run? Should I use an external return pump this time? These are just a couple of the questions rolling around my head.

Hopefully the tank and fish will be moved within a couple weeks. :) Then it's time to try and unpack and fix some cosmetic/structural issues on the house!

Well the display tank has been moved! :) The fish are holding steady in their 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. During the move we busted off one barbed fitting that was connected to a bulkhead. I'm trying to figure out what the best course of action is. I'm thinking I might drill it... or take the overflows out of the tank altogether and figure out another drain/return. It would give me more room in the tank, that's for sure! Only time will tell. Today Shelby is priming/painting the tank room then we can finish up the electrical. Progress!

Tank.jpg

Do the overflows drain thru the bottom or the back of the tank, is the bottom tempered? Have you any kind of a time frame when you are going to start moving stuff into the tank after you get the overflow figured out? Good thing on the critters holding out well!!!! How much coral do you actually have left? Are you going to need a frag or two? Sorry bout all the questions, but inquiring minds need to know :) :).
Can't wait to see the finished product tho, did you keep all of your live rock too?

Hi Devon, sorry to hear about the bulkhead. I would just take out the whole bulkhead and replace it. i'm assuming the threads from the other end of the barb connecter are busted off inside the bulkhead threads. I just had to replace a brass pitless adaptor on my well cause the backhoe broke off a galvanized barbed adaptor that was screwed into it. almost the same thing :) i'm not liking plumbing much at this point. we are right in the middle of renovating our new house down here.
keep posting pics. I keep coming back to this site to get my reef fix!!

good luck

Well the overflows actually drain down inside the tank and through the bottom. I'm kind of considering taking the overflow boxes out completely, maybe using an MP-60 at one end and my two MP-40s at the other end. Or maybe hitting up my good friend that has two he's not using... Anyway, Shelby just finished up priming/painting and I've installed a sink for the fish room & a dishwasher for the kitchen. After the kitchen stove is up and running I'll concentrate a bit more on the bulk head situation. I'm running the 90 gallon refuge next to the 300 gallon stock tank with most of the SPS (blue stag, green deep water acro, yellow scroll coral, etc.) and hammer in the 90. Soon I should have the electrical finished in the fish room and then I will get my controller back up and running. With everything going on I don't trust myself to get all the dosing done consistently. All for now! GO GRIZ!

Stock Tank.jpg

Stock Tank2.jpg

Stock Tank3.jpg

On second thought... I might just remove one overflow. I think I can get enough flow in the tank with MP-40s and one overflow/return may work just fine. That would leave me with one .75" return and one 2" out. What sizes of bulkheads are you guys using?

Back