Anything about the hobby...Answer and ask

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

A. I've seen Horseshoe Crabs at several LFS. However, like Sand Dollars, they require WAY more sand that most of us have, in order to survive, long term. Essentially, the sand should me measured in CUBIC YARDS.

Do you think a 5 inch sandbed would suffice? If not I am going to reduce my sand bed to 3 inches and wont worry about the HSC.

A: Acanthurus pyroferus AKA Chocolate Tang and it tries to mimic heraldi, lemon peel, and half black dwarf angels

Q: what is best way to have east to west lighting coming on and off? Like mimic sunrise and sunset (east to west)

With MHs time your lights to come on two hours apart from each other and off the same or on a motorized track.. with T-5's you would need a motorized shield. or a small fixture on a motorized track.

Q: how often do you test your salinity in your DT

B: what is the most effective way to manage nitrates outside of frequent water changes?

If you have an actual nitrate issue, find out what is causing it and deal with it from there. Other than that, heavy skimming, not over stocking or over feeding, keep rocks cleaned of detritus (if flow doesn't do a good job at it on it's own, use a turkey baster and blow it off), keep filter socks, pads, floss, sponges etc all changed or cleaned every 2-3 days just to name a few. :)

Q: Do you enjoy messing around with your tank or would you rather just sit back and watch it?

If you have an actual nitrate issue, find out what is causing it and deal with it from there. Other than that, heavy skimming, not over stocking or over feeding, keep rocks cleaned of detritus (if flow doesn't do a good job at it on it's own, use a turkey baster and blow it off), keep filter socks, pads, floss, sponges etc all changed or cleaned every 2-3 days just to name a few. :)

Q: Do you enjoy messing around with your tank or would you rather just sit back and watch it?

A: apparently....I can't stop messing with it....but ideally yes I would rather watch

C: I don't have an issue....I have 2 K3's and a MP40 in a 60g cube 2x2x2.

Q: how long does it take for a Purple Tang to reach sexual maturity?

Q: how long does it take for a Purple Tang to reach sexual maturity?

(A) Funny you asked this question, we soon will get the Right answer for a supporting person or group!
(Q) Can you guess who or whom will provide us with this information? :)

(Q) Can you guess who or whom will provide us with this information? :)

I think Lee :p

Q: 2 part question... Same one on the purple tang reaching sexual maturity till we get the answer and...

Can you run carbon and phosphate media in the same reactor and if so, should it be all mixed up together, carbon on top of phophate media, vice versa or doesn't matter?

A. Don't know... Passing on Krish Q. Although I do run Carbon and Phosphate Media together in a media bag seperating them by putting a knot in between the media.

Q. I will be breaking down my 100 Gallon FOWLR tank here soon. Since I have about 100lbs of Rock and about 2"-3" of sand I was thinking about moving half the sand into a 25G Tupperware container and the other half into another. Can I keep the sand alive by keeping it properly heated and have circulation? Possibly have a skimmer too?

Q. I will be breaking down my 100 Gallon FOWLR tank here soon. Since I have about 100lbs of Rock and about 2"-3" of sand I was thinking about moving half the sand into a 25G Tupperware container and the other half into another. Can I keep the sand alive by keeping it properly heated and have circulation? Possibly have a skimmer too?

That's a tough question (atleast for me because I don't mess with sand LOL). I think anything 2 inches or more though will have anaerobic bacteria in it and disturbing the sand bed by moving it may cause some issues. I would probably start a thread to proper feedback on it. :)

Q: Would you put anything in your tank that could potentially send you the the ER??

Q: What is Zeovit, and why is the decision to use it?

It is supposed to be the "new in thing" but don't know much about it. I think we need to get a thread going here about it so we can get better informed on the subject. I know Frankie has experience with it. :)

Q: How often do you test your salinity/specific gravity??

I check my salinity once a week and after I do a water change.

Q: What's the allure of SPS corals?

Back