Ben's Mixed Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was thinking about maybe even trying to frag it for the upcoming PSAS swap. PM me if interested.

ahhh i wish .... may be in a couple of months i'll be begging you for a little piece :D .

Hey, nice sponge! I know when I had my ornamental sponges, they thrived in a high nutrient (dirty) tank. Now that I have a "clean" tank, they don't do so well... Maybe trying supplemental feedings is a good idea.

Hey Ben,
What do you call the zoas that are in the right lower corner of the picture with your mystery monti? (the brown/tan one with green polyps)? Just curious... :)

Hey Ben,
What do you call the zoas that are in the right lower corner of the picture with your mystery monti? (the brown/tan one with green polyps)? Just curious... :)

You know.. I don't have a name, but If someone does, feel free to chime in here.

any progress with the new tank's menu

Hey Dang,

Well I've noticed some pretty decent growth on a blue stag I got from you a ways back and also with the slimer and some green cap. However, I don't know if I'd recomend it yet, it's only been 2 times that I've feed the mysterious frozen green goo cubes and still too early to tell.

Reeferpatt & SueT have had some great results with it so far.

I have noticed a bit of a hair algae bloom - but I don't know if this would be related to the feeding. Sue has had the totally opposite effect - she now has no algae at all & doens't clean the tank b/c the water is so clean.

I think I'm reaching that "dirty water" syndrome that aquarookie mentioned above which is good for sponges, but bad on the eyes.

And yes Janarowe, I totally agree.. dirty water = aptasia heaven.

I'm thinking of investing in an ozonizer machine, or possibly a UV to help control the algae and give me clearer water. I've done the phosban and it doens't seem to make much of a difference. I don't know, we'll see, it'll certainly be interesting to see how this turns out.

Last edited:
wow man that tank looks amazing I hope that mine looks something like that in 5 years lol. right now I can only dream and hope very very nice job on it my hat is off to ya

I was just wondering if they were related to Joker palys or...?

Yeah.. Jason D turned me onto this site which helps with Zoo Id's (www.zoaid.com). These to me, look like they could be related to the joker Palys, but honestly, the skirt is more yellow like.

Here's what they say the jokers are supposed to look like:
main.php

and here's something called a bumble bee:
main.php

could be either. They have small slits for mouths which it doesn't really look like the bumble bees have, but the skirts are yellow like the bumble bees.

wow man that tank looks amazing I hope that mine looks something like that in 5 years lol. right now I can only dream and hope very very nice job on it my hat is off to ya

very nice comment. Thank you. I appreciate it. As you know, this hobby takes a lot of time, a lot of patience, a lot of lessons learned and a lot of money (if you let it) but it feels good to be where I'm at right now ;-)

What a great setup! I can't wait to get my 75g up and running! I will definently shoot a pm your way and grab a bunch of sps frags to satisfy my addiction:D

What a great setup! I can't wait to get my 75g up and running! I will definently shoot a pm your way and grab a bunch of sps frags to satisfy my addiction:D

Thank you. I'll look forward to meeting you in the future. I saw in your signature it says you were doing an in wall. You should start a seperate thread on that to show progress & all of the considerations you have to go through. I am also considering an in wall for my next tank and woudl be very curious to see what it really entails.

Thank you. I'll look forward to meeting you in the future. I saw in your signature it says you were doing an in wall. You should start a seperate thread on that to show progress & all of the considerations you have to go through. I am also considering an in wall for my next tank and woudl be very curious to see what it really entails.

Yes I'm going to try and make it next month for the psas meeting and get involved with you guys! Yes I can't wait to do my in wall. However we are selling our condo right now and I'm going to start my project with a new house hopefully soon! The tank is over at IAP right now getting finished. I hope to create a tank very similar to yours and a few others nice job once again!;)

Well after seeing your tank today... you got a very nice looking tank dood :D.
i like the hight of your tank :lol: .... i wish mine was that short :p.

Gabs - thanks for the compliment. Nice meeting you in person finally. Hope all goes well with the candy cane.

thanks dood, nice meeting you too :), so far the candy is looking good in the tank.
you got very cute cats too :D :p .

I have to say that after seeing this tank in person, the pictures give it no justice. Very clean and nice looking. I can't wait to see your next project when it is completed.

Back