cross's 10gl nano build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cross

hello, so i thought i would start a build thread. this i my first build thread and my first nano. i will be using a AGA 10gl tank, skilter moded into a fuge/sump and a K2 for flow. i'm debating on wether to put sand in this or not. i like the look of sand but not shure if it would stay with the K2 in there. taped and painted last night then added a few more coats this morning. this is also the first tank i have ever painted. any sugestions are welcome, thanks.

ran a water test with the K2 in it and it looks like theres not enough flow to blow the sand around. i thought it would be more flow. almost thinking about puting my K3 in there. but there was no sand in there though.

The K2's are really huge as far as direct flow. I know for my 55gallon if I wasn't running my Aquaclear500 HOB filter as a fuge i would be way short on flow with the two I have. Before I can do SPS in my tank I will probably need to get a K3 or K4 and move one K2 to focus right on where I would put the SPS if they aren't under the AC500.

The K2's are really huge as far as direct flow. I know for my 55gallon if I wasn't running my Aquaclear500 HOB filter as a fuge i would be way short on flow with the two I have. Before I can do SPS in my tank I will probably need to get a K3 or K4 and move one K2 to focus right on where I would put the SPS if they aren't under the AC500.

yah in a 55gl K2's are under sized. in my 55gl i have a K2, K3 and 2 other smaller power heads. they are like 150 each, i have about 1750 GPH in the 55gl and it needs more. one thing i found is when i was doing the water test in this 10gl im building, the k2 makes alot of noise. it never did before, all i did was clean it and put it in the 10gl. any ideas?

Last edited:
still don't know why the K2 is so loud, my moded skilter is loud to. this may be the loudest tank i have ever heard. any ways hear are some updated pics of the tank and the stand i plan to use also the skilter before and after the little mod i made to it. i super glued the egg creat in and a small piece on the out side so it would hang even. i'll put chato and a small heater in it.

i have a question, if i use 5gl of water from my 55gl tank and the rest fresh mixed, along with rock and live sand from my 55gl will i still have a cycle in this 10gl?

If all the rock comes out of your already cycled 55gallon you shouldn't have a cycle unless something causes some die off.

you guys are missing the bigger issue here..
He is a vikings fan YYUUCCKKK!!!
at least there is a vikings helmet on his desk top...

BAN HIM!!!!!!

slate,

thank you for your responce. i thought if i used cycled rock and sand i would be ok, but wasnt shure.

well i put it all together, maybe to quikly but i figured since everything was cycled and from my 55 it would be ok. now i just need to build a hood for it and get the smaller bulbs and do a retro for it. the fish i have in my 55 that i wanted in this tank are a cardinal and a clarkii clown, will they be ok? i think the clarckii clown might get to big. also the K2 does blow the sand around a little bit at the front of the tank.

Back