cross's 10gl nano build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Another thing that may help with the heat is perhaps venting the gang box at the highest point to let heat escape. I am no DIY guru or anything though so I may just be spitting out gibberish heh.

no dout, thats good advise. the gang box has vents in it but they are small and the way it is hung they are on the back of it. i may have to drill some vent holes on the top. thanks

questoin, i'm planing to build a canopy for this tank. how tall should it be with 4 T5's in it? i was thinking 8" plus the 3/4" lid. should i go 10" plus the lid?

Wish i could help ya there but i've never built one. I wouldn't think more than 6-8" anything taller i think would look odd on a 10, like a tophat.

yah, i think i'll just go 8" wich will acualy be like 6 1/2 to 7" after i drop it to the bottom of the top frame. thanks for your input.

well its been a while sense i posted a full tank shot. not much in there right now, i need more color " as in coral" like zoa's or somthing., so i'm keeping my eye out:). but here it is.

I would just swap out the wall outlet, it is pretty easy to do. :D Just make sure you cut power to the outlet, and then depending on how you wire any additional outlets beyond the GFCI outlet, they can all be GFCI controlled or independent of the GFCI.

ok, so i know what a GFCI is. do i need to swope out the wall pluge or is there an easyer rout?

well i started on my DIY hood today. just need to get a hinge for the top and some trim to hide the nails, i went with 1x8 pine. i dont know if i should stain it or just polyurethane it. what are your thoughts? how do most seal theres?

Last edited:
very nice looking tank cant wait to get mine with some coal and a couple of fish. i hate waiting im to impatient.lol

thanks, i hear ya..lol. luckly i had a 55 that i took down, and just transferd stuff from that. i only have a bangaii cardinal and a few softys. i need more coral and color :D.

hood progress

well, it is slow but i'm making some progress on this DIY hood. i went with walnut 606 gel stain from minwax. i like this stuff, it's not runny like the regular stain. just brush it on and wipe it off. i still need to do some things, like clear coat it, add a fan and get the t5 end caps for the retro lights. tell me what you think, good or bad. it kinda sucks not having a garage or at least a shed to work in, oh well the living room is as good as any right :D.

Back