cross's 10gl nano build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

a little more progress.

tell me if this looks funny or not. this is an extra 10gl i'm using as a mock up tank. i almost think it looks to tall, i think the retro lights will end up being about 6" or so of the water. i'll also put a 3" computer fan in one side of it. what are your thoughs?

The lamps only need to be a couple inches off of the water, you should be able to cut ~3 inches off safely. Or find yourself a 15g high, it's quite a bit harder to stock such a tall narrow tank though.

The lamps only need to be a couple inches off of the water, you should be able to cut ~3 inches off safely. Or find yourself a 15g high, it's quite a bit harder to stock such a tall narrow tank though.

well i think the 15gl tall is out, at least for know. as the tank this is for is already up and going and i dont want to mess with that right know. how ever i my just take that advise and chop 3" off this hood. i should be able to do that pretty easy. thanks

Progress is coming along great, things like the new hood will improve it so much.

On the GFCI part you can buy a wall outlet type that you swap out on the circuit to cover your tank. Easy, they come with details of how to wire them.

Progress is coming along great, things like the new hood will improve it so much.

On the GFCI part you can buy a wall outlet type that you swap out on the circuit to cover your tank. Easy, they come with details of how to wire them.

i think thats the way i'm going to go with the GFCI, just swap out the wall outlet. that would cover the hole tank. i think the hood will inprove the look alot. just picked up an 80mm case fan to put in the hood to keep it cool. thanks for the coments :)

You can have the bulbs VERY close to the water but just make sure that you put an acrylic shield over them to protect from splashes and pitting on the reflectors. Make sure the shield is easily removable as you will have to clean it often otherwise your lighting will reduce quickly. I also recommend when you clean the shield to just use warm water to disolve the salt off then carefully dry off to avoid scratches and hazing on the acrylic.

You can have the bulbs VERY close to the water but just make sure that you put an acrylic shield over them to protect from splashes and pitting on the reflectors. Make sure the shield is easily removable as you will have to clean it often otherwise your lighting will reduce quickly. I also recommend when you clean the shield to just use warm water to disolve the salt off then carefully dry off to avoid scratches and hazing on the acrylic.

thanks MGD, i may have to come up with somthing like that. more brain storming. i cut 2" off the hood and i think it looks better. i dont think i can go any lower with it, i'm not shure how tall the t5 end caps are. the hood sits 1" down to cover the black rim of the tank and i need to get the 3" fan in one side of it as well. the first two pics is the cut down and third is before cut down. let me know what you think about all this.

Last edited:
up date FT photo

well its been a while, so i figured I'd post an updated full tank shot. i also added a purple firefish, cause my banggai was sucked up in my fuge. :(

Looking really good Cross :)

Curious though if you can move the koralia further back, it looks a bit dominating in the picture, perhaps put it on the back wall and point it in same direction as it is now?

Last edited:

Curious though if you can move the koralia further back, it looks a bit dominating in the picture, perhaps put it on the back wall and point it in same direction as it is now?

thanks, its the K2 and it is kinda big. i may have to try that and see what happens, i've been having a problem with it blowing the sand away from the front of the tank. any ideas?

Probably not with K2 in a ten gallon lol. I see why you are trying to trade now. I have two K nanos in my 10 and it seems about right. If you decide to buy a couple i believe Marinedepot is having 20% off Koralias this month.

how about this, any better? first pic is new placement, second pic is old placement. also added one or two corals, thanks ajnweb

Last edited:
Back