Eric & Becca's 180 build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yah that is the risk at times i guess. they can be greedy little punks and Quick at snatching food from corals, anemones and fish. just a risk ive always taken because there's nothing that makes me happier than seeing the fish get cleaned up and healthy.

going through the same issues right now let me know what you hsave come up with , an to add fuel to the fire , still battling this ich thing , while treeting , i noticed ..........n duh duh duhhhhnnnnn . red planeria in my friggin sump ! fml what are you using for the ich

Beware, I would not rely on fish or shrimps to control parasites. Eventually, the tank will require fallow period while fishes stew in QT for +8weeks.

idk. if the fish are still alive then they have healthy immune systems and the outbreak cant be that big sounds like a stress induced outbreak . ive had fish covered in it before and the shrimp clean it right up. UV sterilizer seems to help too.

going through the same issues right now let me know what you hsave come up with , an to add fuel to the fire , still battling this ich thing , while treeting , i noticed ..........n duh duh duhhhhnnnnn . red planeria in my friggin sump ! fml what are you using for the ich

We are trying a product from Microbe-Lift called Herbtana. It is reef safe and invert safe so we can treat in the DT without removing anything. It sounds like it has worked for knocking the parasites off the fish and boosting their slime coat and immune system to help with re-infection. If it works and we go 10-12 months without adding a fish the MI will inbreed itself to extinction according to the articles posted by Lee. That wait will be the hard part but still easier than gutting the tank to remove the fish. If it comes to that then we will actually remove all the corals and inverts and treat with hypo-salinity right in the main tank. Since everything is so new we would not loose much ground this way and would not have to rebuild all the rock work after taking it out to catch the fish.

Expensive treatment and can't run: skimmer (runs amok vesuvius)/charcoal/chemipure ...been there, done that. And fish still needed out, just buys time till fish are removed. Parasite still continued attack w/med. That's when I threw in the towel and pulled my fish out.

Thanks Deb, I don't believe we have the same thing that you had in your tank. We are fully aware of the fact that we cannot run the skimmer during the 10 day treatment period. We are not running carbon or chemipure at this time so that is not an issue. In our opinion $30 for treatment is not expensive and worth the try.

Cadillac-does your sump have a build up of detritus?. That's what these guys are usually feeding on. I have always battled them with wrasses. Try turning your return pump off and blow them off the rock with a maxi jet or turkey baster then netting them out. Or put a skimmer in there to eat them while you have them suspended in the water column. That will also help with any detritus build up. Not sure how you have your sump set up though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Not really Steven but I do have a thread on the build , not really wanting to take over Eric's thread , and speaking of which Eric what are those bicolor Fishies in that there tank ? There purdy

what are those bicolor Fishies in that there tank ? There purdy

They are the Hawaiian Bi-color Anthia's that Todd (TJL) brought back for us from his 50th B-Day trip of diving with Les at Wet Pets Hawaii. We agree they are beautiful fish. If you want some I would highly recommend getting them from Les as they are collected the proper way from the wild.

Fish028.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm well we are planning on taking a trip out there to see les and maybe take him up on his offer to go collecting , might be thing to do

Well it has been a LLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time since we have had an update on your new 180

I heard you have started wiring up your LEDs????

Do you have any pics of the pile of spaghetti of wires that is attached to a baseball size pile of solder in the middle of your heatsink??? LOL

Come on share with us.

Shhhhhh...were busy, busy, busy.....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

It seems to have done what it is advertised to do. Now we wait.....

Ooh now why would you go and say that.....that's not right ;)

sorry..didnt mean anything by it...Im just suspect of these treatments as they have never worked for me....
I wish u the best.
:)

We know Kirk... Hence the little winky happy face ;). Becca's just havin a little fun with ya. Truth is we are skeptical as well thats why we are reserving judgement until more time has passed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dave, Dave, Dave.....I feel that you are in need of a picture fix....So here we go

The water station in the garage plumb through the kitchen to the tank.

ATO013.jpg

The blue barrel is fresh water, the white is our salt mixing barrel. The fresh water system is fully automated with float valves, one at the bottom of the barrel and another at the top.

ATO006.jpg

We also added a spicet on the fresh water barrel so we can get rodi water on demand....you know for those other tanks in the house and garage...

ATO011.jpg

ok enough about the water....water, water everywhere...sorry i digress....

a few pics of the leds that arrived a few weeks ago..

christmaslights2011052.jpg

christmaslights2011053.jpg

christmaslights2011054.jpg

christmaslights2011055.jpg

christmaslights2011049.jpg

Eric learning how to solder....we thought it would be best to use the red as a learning device since we had 3 that we will not be using

leavenworth2011008.jpg

turns out that he did a fantastic job, thanks to Hersey(Stuart), Eric picked up some really cool tricks.

The leds are all pre tinned prior to mounting onto the heatsink. Working with one color at a time they followed the lighting placement chart that Guerry and Mojo (Mike) worked out.
First they are put into place on the heatsink then methodically the guys used a two part epoxy to glue them down...they had to work in small batches since the lead time is only 5 min
leavenworth2011003.jpg

leavenworth2011002.jpg

leavenworth2011001.jpg

leavenworth2011010.jpg

now that all the leds are epoxied we can move on the the tedious work of soldering all the wires. Of course these were also pre tinned to make quick work of the soldering process.

leavenworth2011016.jpg

each led was tested to insure that they worked and there was no leakage.

ledbuild002.jpg

Wiring up the drivers

ledbuild001.jpg

ledbuild014.jpg

ledbuild003.jpg

Tuning the drivers to the leds.

ledbuild004.jpg

ledbuild048.jpg

GO HAWKS!!!!!!
ledbuild050.jpg

ledbuild052.jpg

Just the blues

ledbuild049.jpg

and the whites

ledbuild051.jpg

Now everyone.......uhhhhh ahhhhhhh

ledbuild013.jpg

now the heatsinks are drilled and the mounting hardware installed

ledbuild056.jpg

ledbuild058.jpg

ledbuild060.jpg

ledbuild061.jpg

And that's it for now....still to come, wiring the resistors, in-line fuses, light controller, power source and cooling fans. The hood will need to be cut and finished so we can mount these bad boys and get them over the tank.......

I hope this will satisfy you Dave....until at least the day after Christmas......

Awesome frickin job Eric your definitely on a roll getting this tank up to snuff in such short order. Becca... the secret is now out... spotted in the first pic hanging on wall... the motivation tool to keep Eric focused on job at hand :ballchain: :tape2: :razz:

Cheers, Todd

Back