Finally, room for fish and corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bricky,

Thanks. The inclusion of the fans makes sense then. I am lucky and have my entire system in the garage (which is the coolest part of the house). I able to get away with one 4" clip on fan. However, I do have an attic fan rated for 2500 sq ft that cools the garage very quickly on those hot June/July days. :)

I too put in one of the attic fans for the garage (where all the equipment is). It's setup with a thermostat and humidistat to fight both. Did you add vents to your garage walls so that you are replacing the air that you are expelling from your garage?

Yes. I have vent on the door to the crawl space..It sucks the cool air from there into the garage. In the upper 90 degree weather we had last year, my tank temp only increased by 1.5 degrees (to 80.6). It appears that I will not need a chiller (famous last words) :D

I like the crawl space idea for your exchanged air. I'll have to do the same. Thanks for the idea. I'll already have plumbing running through the crawl space and was hoping that would help keep the water cool. Now with both the plumbing and a vent to pull air into the garage I think I may get lucky to not use a chiller. Wait, I have 1900 watts of light. I may still need the chiller.

Holy tanning booth Batman !!!! 1900 watts..I only have 500 watts currently. going to be adding ~200 watts of actinics in a couple of months. Still doesnt compare to your tanning salon. :D:D:D

Did a quick recalc and it's actually more like 2100 watts.

3 - 400 watt SE bulbs
2 - 250 watt DE bulbs
8 - 54 watt T5's

2132 watts. Not all bulbs will be on at all times. Some will be cycled off while others are blazing away. Just not sure how I'll set up the cycle yet.

I assume the reason for this much lights is your tank is going to be strictly SPS???

Here's what I've been up to.

Old flooring:

Livingremodel007.jpg

No flooring:

Livingremodel019.jpg

New flooring:

Livingremodel033.jpg

Livingremodel034.jpg

Yeah, do away with carpet! Hardwoods, laminate, granite, they are all awesome! Carpet is not :lol:

Oh, wait, the thread is about the tank... Get us MORE PICS OF THE TANK!!!!! :D

Last edited:
i am sooo glad my tank and equipment is in the garage..any spills are no problem and I dont have to hear the wife say, "you are getting saltwater on my carpet" LOL...

That's one reason I went with the laminate floor Kirk. Not the wife, but the ease of clean up when there is water. When I did have the carpet and the smaller tank (now frag tank) I would spill water and then all I could do is try and soak it up with a towel.

I hear ya bro !! Been there done that. :D

Not having laminate before, will saltwater leave spots on the flooring??

Kirk - It will leave spots but wipes easily with water or a water/vinegar combo. That's what I love about this floor, it's easy. I've had the flooring in the kitchen now for 3 months and love it so much I had to put it in the living room too. Glad I did.

Logiktest - The tank will sit on a combination of padding and plywood. I picked up some of the interlocking workout mats from Lowe's and a sheet of 1/2" plywood for the tank to sit on. The configuration will be pad/plywood/stand. Thanks for the compliments too.

I'm going to use a locking workout mat to pad the stand and hopefully even out any spots that aren't level.

Livingremodel047.jpg

The following series of photos is how the stand goes together. In order to get a 7' long, 40" wide and tall stand in the house, I built it into 3 sections and 7 pieces. I didn't feel like yanking a door or window out, especially with the weather we get here in the Pacific Northwest.

Livingremodel050.jpg

Livingremodel051.jpg

Livingremodel056.jpg

Livingremodel057.jpg

Livingremodel058.jpg

Back