Finally, room for fish and corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Unfortunately not. The frag tank was built by James at Envision Acrylics. This tank was my reef for the past 5 years and now has been reduced in rank to frag tank.

Finished wiring up the canopy. Three days ( about 18 hours ) of work to get this thing put together. Man what did I get myself into.

The metal halides are set up for PFO ballasts right now but could possibly be changed to any other later on. The LAIII's are 400 watt and the pendants are 250 watt DE.

Elostanklights045.jpg

I ducted each side of the LAIII's to pull the hot air out via Ice Cap 4" fans.

Elostanklights049.jpg

Elostanklights053.jpg

I didn't want to have the fan power supplies anywhere near the canopy so I set up a system using CAT V cable (Ethernet cable). I can get four fans on each cable. That means I only needed two cable coming from the canopy to power the fans.

I ran some door bell wire ( 18 awg ) to each fan and just pushed in the stripped portion and it fit perfect. All I had to do to secure it was add some heat shrink.

Elostanklights041.jpg

Elostanklights043.jpg

So this is the other end where each fan is terminated and then connected to a ethernet jack I got from Home Cheapo.

Elostanklights057.jpg

The outlet box is power for the Neptune DC4 that switches the T5's on/off. The other power supply is for my Neptune Systems Lunar Sim.

Elostanklights058.jpg

Elostanklights059.jpg

Here's a shot of one of four moonlights. I mounted one on each side of the DE pendants.

Elostanklights054.jpg

This part of the canopy took a little while to figure out.

I wanted to use the lenses that came with the LAIII's, but with where they're mounted I couldn't pull out the glass as it would hit the side of the frame. To make the fans and ducting actually efficient I need the lenses in. Plus it keeps the reflectors clean from salt splashing.

So, I made up this little bracket. All I have to do is turn the bolt and it drops the LAIII at an angle that let's me slide out the glass.

Elostanklights060.jpg

The nut and bolt on the bottom is my stop from pulling the reflector up to far. You can also see the temp. sensors from the fans that put inside the reflectors to get the most pull out of the fans.

Elostanklights061.jpg

The temp sensor is on the right side of the pendant in this pic.

Elostanklights050.jpg

And these pictures are just because I took them and thought I'd share.

Elostanklights062.jpg

Elostanklights064.jpg

Elostanklights051.jpg

I won't bother putting the skin on until the tank is in the house and the canopy is mounted. Just trying to keep the skin free of scratches.

I wish it was stainless, but not true. It's only aluminum that I had powder coated a bright silver. I think the stainless would of been a little too heavy also.

Bricky, your build is fantastic. Looking at your wiring job, it's easy to understand why it took such a long time. Nice and neat. I do have a question though, when viewing the pictures in post #85 and #87 regarding the T-5 lamps, am I not seeing the end caps correctly? To me it looks as if the end caps need to be turned around, or another pair needs to be installed. I may just be missing seeing something though... Blinded by the wonderful powder coat! Please keep the progress and the pics coming, great work so far.

Logiktest - Your eyes are not deceiving you. I had to stagger the bulbs to make the 4' bulbs work. So, two towards the front and two towards the back. Hopefully this pictures helps show that.

Elostanklights045.jpg

Ahhh... I get it now. It is obvious that you have thought out this build to the smallest of details. When you mentioned the word "staggered", it clicked for me instantly. Thanks.

Am I confused or do those T-8 end caps seem to be facing the wrong way? :D Im assuming I cant see the opposing set and you are running eight of them. Nevertheless, Its an amazing like rack. Not only did it take some serious thought, but time and $$$. Keep the pics coming.

I'm shooting for the house, but it's been sitting in the garage since August. I'll be starting some tile work tomorrow. Once that's done then I can finish my base board trim. Basically I need to finish my remodel then I can bring the tank in the house.

Trido - I'll have better pictures once it's mounted above the tank. As for the cost, I got more light than what anyone else is getting with the manufactured fixtures and for less money. The expense came when I added in the linear actuator and system that allows it to slide up and down. That was all extra, but I wanted a unique system that allows me access my tank.

Back