Fishroom Frezny

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Now I should show what size this really is, besides the one of it taking up all the space in the bed of my truck.
Here is a 10gal tank sitting on the stand in my garage.
standbuild047.jpg

standbuild048.jpg

standbuild049.jpg

OMG!!

That was the first thing from my wives mouth, when she first saw the stand!

dont be jealous. and the uniun guy sanding to get square sounds like a carpenter not a tinbender.

Lets keep it bout the build and not do a pro union anti union bashing thread. Im a through and through union worker and i was a shop steward for 6.5 years. Im with senji. A tinbender is a sheetmetal guy and not a steel guy. Anyways. How much of your build is going to be diy? I know the stand. Are you going to build your own skimmer(s), reactor(s), lights?

Last edited:
I have already built the skimmer,and a couple of the reactors. It is a yes on the lights. They will be a DYI custom layout LED build.
I will also build the glass tank with the assistance of a couple talented friends.
I will also construct the fish room that all of this will be housed in.
I am also considering building my own rock.

Back up to page 1, you can see the sump and skimmer take shape.

Found a little me time today. That translates into progress on the stand build.
Nick assured me that the stand did not need any racking supports (gussets). With the weight being over 4000 lbs I wanted a little insurance.
Besides I needed to use up all the gussets I took time to make. LOL

I pulled out my small welder, and some 4'' grinders and got to it
Steelgussets004.jpg

Steelgussets006.jpg

My welding skills dont hold a candle to Nick's. But I am sure the welds will hold.
Steelgussets007.jpg

Steelgussets008.jpg

Steelgussets009.jpg

Some of the welds needed to be dressed up, so I took the grinder to them
Steelgussets001.jpg

Steelgussets002.jpg

I also needed to weld the a nut to the bottom of the washers Nick attached to the leg. Again not real pretty, but it will hold
Steelgussets011.jpg

Steelgussets012.jpg

Steelgussets014.jpg

I have quite a bit of grinding and wire wheel work to do before I can put a couple of coats of a zinc primer on the steel.

Thanks Stuart,
Long time time no post. LOL
Yes rainy days bring us in side.
Is there any time adjustments been made on your build?

Ha!

No changes yet, just stretching the timeline out a little...
My boys are climbing all over the metal framework - I wince from time to time because face and metal bar don't mingle well....

Peppie, that thing is a beast. Good looking welds, better safe than sorry. Once it starts racking, it's a goner, domino effect. Good job!

Very nice Dave and a whole lot nicer than my welds with a toy sized Lincoln. One of these days will have to make the drive South to see all your hard work in person. Almost have my garage/shop back so can get to building my canopy to the 125g and matching stand on a 50g 'Butterfly -n-Softy Tank'. Cheers, Todd

Thanks for looking Earl.
Yea I thought the gussets were a must. On all of the research I had done the guys building steel stand,( with well under the 440 gal tank) were adding some type of bracing.
I have the time , I have the material. And now I have a non racking stand.

Hey Todd!!
Long time no contact.
Mt welds got better as I went. The Baby Lincoln doesnt penetrate real deep, but deep enough for this application.
You are welcome any time you come south. Just give me a ring and pop on in.

I have noticed quite a few members have stopped by this build thread to have a peek.
The post at the top of page 13 has a flaw. (post # 181)
Anybody see what the flaw is???

BTW, Kevin you cant say!!!

Good guess eartaker, but no! The missing rail is were the sump will slide in, The sump will sit about 7'' lower than the bottom shelf of the stand.
I want the sump to sit as close to the ground as I can get it. That way I wont need a ladder to empty the skimmer cup LOL.

Hey there Spinner,
Couldnt think of a better DIYer to share my 2000 post with.
A hint you say...
Things are not always as the appear.

439.........///////////////

Back